1 Samuel 14 Honey on a stick

seekeroftruth

1 Samuel 14:24 Now the Israelites were in distress that day, because Saul had bound the people under an oath, saying, “Cursed be anyone who eats food before evening comes, before I have avenged myself on my enemies!” So none of the troops tasted food.

25 The entire army entered the woods, and there was honey on the ground. 26 When they went into the woods, they saw the honey oozing out; yet no one put his hand to his mouth, because they feared the oath. 27 But Jonathan had not heard that his father had bound the people with the oath, so he reached out the end of the staff that was in his hand and dipped it into the honeycomb. He raised his hand to his mouth, and his eyes brightened.[c] 28 Then one of the soldiers told him, “Your father bound the army under a strict oath, saying, ‘Cursed be anyone who eats food today!’ That is why the men are faint.”

29 Jonathan said, “My father has made trouble for the country. See how my eyes brightened when I tasted a little of this honey. 30 How much better it would have been if the men had eaten today some of the plunder they took from their enemies. Would not the slaughter of the Philistines have been even greater?”​

c. 1 Samuel 14:27 Or his strength was renewed; similarly in verse 29

Jonathan seems to be the typical king's son. The day before he took his armour-bearer and took on the Philistines.... today he's telling people that his father is wrong. He seems to have a point tho.... they would fight better if they were well fed.

This is from Bible.org.

It seems that Saul’s image suffers greatly, ever since his impressive defeat of the Ammonites at Jabesh-gilead in chapter 11. Saul has been humiliated by the Philistines, not only by their occupation of Israel, but by the way they capitalize on their iron age technology (13:19-23). Much of Saul’s embarrassment is the direct result of Jonathan’s initiative in attacking the Philistines. Now that he sees the Philistines suffering defeat at the hand of the Israelites, Saul determines to make them pay for his humiliation. His fight with the Philistines becomes personal. It is not God’s battle, or even Israel’s battle; it is his battle and his victory. And so Saul puts his men under an oath: no one is to eat until evening. The men are to fight on an empty stomach. Saul appears to reason that this will avoid wasting valuable time (and daylight?) by stopping to prepare and then eat a meal. (Since Saul has not really planned this battle, neither he nor his men are really prepared for the day’s events.) There are no ready rations for the men to eat on the run, or so it appears to Saul. So he forbids his men to eat all day long and to fight the entire day without nourishment.​

This is from the blueletterbible.org site.

No one put his hand to his mouth, for the people feared the oath: This group of soldiers all saw the honey. It was dripping, right in front of their eyes. Yet Saul's foolish oath prevented them from receiving what God had put right in front of them!

This must have been torture for the soldiers. And there was the honey, dripping. Right in front of their eyes! They want the honey. They need the honey. God provided the honey. But a foolish, legalistic command from Saul kept it from them. How this must have discouraged and embittered the soldiers!​

Now... Saul said if anyone eats then they will be put to death. Jonathan wasn't there when Saul said that. I think we need to put a little note in here.... The story shows Jonathan dipping his stick into the honey once.... and as he does it he is told of the Saul's command. He tells them the command is stupid... but it seems he didn't outright defy Saul. It seems he stopped after told of the command. IMHO if he had continued to eat after hearing of the command, then that defiance would have made great copy.

The Philistines [who will become modern day Palestinians] are well armed... they make the weapons. The Philistines are well fed. The Israelites have sticks and arrows and they are physically hungry. Saul is crazy....

:coffee: