Summons Issued For Trump In Emoluments Case

Sapidus

"A lawsuit filed by D.C. and Maryland against President Trump over his alleged business conflicts has been expanded to include Trump in his personal capacity as a businessman, which means that a summons has been sent to perhaps the most famous address in Washington: 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

The attorneys general for both states argue in a lawsuit that Trump is violating the emoluments clause of the U.S. Constitution, which in part bans public officials from receiving gifts and payments from foreign governments without approval from Congress.

They argue that Trump’s refusal to divest from his sprawling business empire — in particular, the Trump International Hotel in downtown D.C. — has meant that foreign governments have directly paid the Trump Organization for hotel bookings and events."

https://wamu.org/story/18/03/21/summons-issued-trump-emoluments-case/

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Judge dismisses suits claiming Trump violated emoluments clause

A federal court says challengers lack standing, but also declares the issue is best left to Congress.

Progressives Already LOST one Suit .........

Why the emoluments clause will not end Trump's presidency

In plain English, the clause prohibits certain governmental officials from receiving gifts, offices, titles, or emoluments from members of foreign governments without approval from Congress.

The clause is designed to ensure that government officials serve the American people and not themselves. It is meant to prevent foreign governments from trying to exert undue influence over our officials or from our officials trying to favor certain foreign officials or governments for their personal gain. The slogan of the clause might be: serve the public, not yourself.

But the clause, like so many other parts of the Constitution, is hardly a model of clarity and raises more questions than it answers. For instance, which government officials are covered? It also does not specifically mention the president, although other clauses do. Instead it refers to those holding an “office or profit or trust.” Therefore there is some debate about whether the emoluments clause applies to our top government official.

Considering the purpose of the clause, it would be bizarre if the framers of the Constitution were worried about foreign influences on lower level federal officials, but not the leader of the federal government. The weight of centuries of legal interpretation and history are on the side of those arguing that the clause covers the president.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
And this is why I'm seriously sick of this stuff. It's now come to throwing random crap hoping it will stick.
Come back when you have a case.

It would be funny if it wasn't my money that idiot Frosh is wasting...

well CREW and some other Progressive Group lost the 1st Round .... now Progressive DA's want to get their name in lights

Hijinx

I am embarrassed to live in Maryland while an Attorney General of my state joins with DC in such a manner.
We need to send Frosh on his way.

Fact is we need to send a lot of Democrats on their way.

Sapidus

I am embarrassed to live in Maryland while an Attorney General of my state joins with DC in such a manner.
We need to send Frosh on his way.

Fact is we need to send a lot of Democrats on their way.

Feel free to leave. I’ve seen you respond that way when people dare criticize Trump.

Seems fair to hold you to the same standard

BOP

"A lawsuit filed by D.C. and Maryland against President Trump over his alleged business conflicts has been expanded to include Trump in his personal capacity as a businessman, which means that a summons has been sent to perhaps the most famous address in Washington: 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

The attorneys general for both states argue in a lawsuit that Trump is violating the emoluments clause of the U.S. Constitution, which in part bans public officials from receiving gifts and payments from foreign governments without approval from Congress.

They argue that Trump’s refusal to divest from his sprawling business empire — in particular, the Trump International Hotel in downtown D.C. — has meant that foreign governments have directly paid the Trump Organization for hotel bookings and events."

And in other news:

http://web-extract.constantcontact....0b-4213-8afa-cb656b16502a.jpg?a=1130269747960

Del. Deb Rey introduces School Safety amendment to provide $1,000,000 exclusively for School Safety grants and programs.

Annapolis - Delegate Deb Rey today offered an amendment to the FY 2019 Budget to give an additional $1 million to school safety.

The amendment used the $1 million from the Maryland Defense Act, which is allocated to the Attorney General's Office to sue the federal government. The amendment instead dedicates those funds to support initiatives such as School Resource Officer programs across Maryland and enhance student and school safety.

"While we have all been aware of the importance of enhancing school safety, this week we learned first-hand how vital it is to have those tools in place," said Delegate Rey. "I don't know that any amount will ever seem enough when it comes to keeping our children safe, but I feel we need to dedicate as much funding as we can. The $1 million in the Attorney General's office is used for frivolous and political lawsuits against the Trump Administration, I truly believe this money would be much better spent protecting our students."

This amendment was defeated on a vote of 52-84.

Hijinx

Feel free to leave. I’ve seen you respond that way when people dare criticize Trump.

Seems fair to hold you to the same standard

I don't remember saying I was leaving, only that I was embarrassed to have an a-hole like Frosh as Attorney general.
I believe I said we needed to send Frosh and a lot of other Democrats on their way, which should have clued you into the fact I intend to stay and try to change things.

Sorry that was so hard for you to understand. Not surprised though you appear to have a lot of trouble understanding.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

I guess George Washington could of fell under the same BS. Not to mention a dozen of other Presidents

SamSpade

I guess George Washington could of fell under the same BS. Not to mention a dozen of other Presidents

Which is why none of these are going anywhere.
These guys are so opposed to Trump, they're dedicating all their time to something pointless, while there are bigger concerns to tackle.

But because they don't LIKE him, it's all they can see.

Let me put it this way - about twenty years ago, I had a seriously obnoxious boss who was so well connected, he would never get fired.
His staff hated him. And I hated doing things his way all the time, especially because a) they were often wrong and b) he was just a jerk about it.
Morning after morning I had to listen to his public monologue in front of my co-workers about all my real and mostly imagined shortcomings.

SO instead of fighting him - I went around him. I learned he was vain and lazy, which meant I never had to do things his way -
because he was far too lazy to ever check. I told him what he wanted to hear, and in the process - I got way ahead. Instead of being
the persona non grata always fighting the boss - people began to come to me as a sort of expert.

I beat him. Years later, he got what was coming to him.

You guys want to beat Trump? Fix the damned country. It's a sort of version of "living well is the best revenge".
Ignore him and just do a good job. Coming with scheme after scheme makes you look like Wile E. Coyote or Team Rocket
or Yosemite Sam or any one of dozens of cartoon buffoons whose schemes always blow up.

Sapidus

Losers like Sappy are always jealous of successful people. Nothing new there.

I've still declared bankruptcy fewer times than both you and Trump.

I've also been sued and had to pay out million for committing fraud less time than Trump. And most likely you given all of you claims of success despite spending 24-7 on here taunting people in the most juvenile way possible.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I've still declared bankruptcy fewer times than both you and Trump.

I've also been sued and had to pay out million for committing fraud less time than Trump.

What Fraud was that exactly skippy ....

Please Enlighten us where / when did TRUMP Ran the day to day operations of the UNi and Committed Fraud

Sapidus

What Fraud was that exactly skippy ....

Please Enlighten us where / when did TRUMP Ran the day to day operations of the UNi and Committed Fraud

Do you often payout $25 million for a crime you didn't commit?

Makes as much sense as his lawyer paying out $130k even though Trump didn't raw dog Stormy