ISO Information Planet Fitness in Dunkik

steppinthrax

So I noticed the World's Gym is changing their hours to 12-midnight M-T. I was pretty happy because based on some other things I've seen, it seems they are trying to clean up their act. Anyway a guy in the locker room told me it's because they are building a Planet Fitness in Dunkirk and that it's going to crush their business, so they are doing what they can to keep their customers.

Anybody can confirm this? This would be awesome because their pricing is much cheaper than World's and they are a chain.

Chris0nllyn

So far, the businesses coming to Apple Green (the new shops in D-Kirk) are:
- Harris Teeter
- Marshalls
- Taco Bell
- Berkshire Hathaway Home Services
- MOD
- Five Guys
- Jersey Mikes
- Cleaner
- Liquor Store
- Nail shop
- Great Clips

There are 3 leases pending and 2 available spaces, but the largest pending lease is 3,600 sq ft. Not sure the normal gym size, but it seems small for a Plant Fitness.

Here's the shopping center layout if anyone's curious.
http://api.echorealty.reol.com/pdf?file_name=shoppes_at_apple_greene_siteplan_17.pdf

This obviously assumes they'll build in the Shops at Apple Green and not anywhere else, but I haven't seen any other construction in Dunkirk, yet.

nobody really

I need a nap
I hope so -- World Gym needs some competition. I'm not sure about the one in Pr Fred, but the one in Owings has turned into a dump, and they have cut way back on spin classes. And running water apparently, seems they have their water off a lot (remodeling....you know how that is).

They need some competition. Equipment falling apart, etc. bring on planet fitness.

steppinthrax

I hope so -- World Gym needs some competition. I'm not sure about the one in Pr Fred, but the one in Owings has turned into a dump, and they have cut way back on spin classes. And running water apparently, seems they have their water off a lot (remodeling....you know how that is).

They need some competition. Equipment falling apart, etc. bring on planet fitness.

I've been going to the World's gym for about 2 years now. The big thing is they cut their hours for their daycare. The other thing I couldn't get is their hours. How difficult would it be to try 24hrs. Planet fitness will def to 24-hours (if the rumor is true).

Yeah the location in Owings is a dump. There's this big pothole (big) with water in it that I had to cross for a while every time I head there. Their parking lot is alligator cracked to hell. The wifi is ####. I wouldn't have an issue with wifi but the whole area is a dead zone so you only can use wifi. Inside the gym is okay, but they have this one little water fountain for everyone. Why not put a "bottle filler" that you see at many locations. The sauna needs a rehab, it never gets as hot as the one in PF, not sure what's up there.

In their shower stalls water and moisture has gotten behind the drywall and the drywall paper is separating (like a bedsheet) from the ceiling. There is evidence of mold on the ceilings etc. I think they try to keep it up by spraying bleach. The hooks to hang your clothes are all broken off, maybe a few are left on a rack.

The PF location is better, but the work they've done to remodel is ####. When repainting the bathroom they painted around a poster on the wall then removed the poster later. LOL... With the tile job, to make the costs cheaper they used the same tile for every situation (not using corner, in-corner, chair rail etc). So on the bench area where the lockers are you see two unfinished edges of tile butting against each other.

steppinthrax

- Harris Teeter
- Marshalls
- Taco Bell
- MOD
- Five Guys
- Jersey Mikes
- Cleaner
- Liquor Store
- Nail shop
- Great Clips

There are 3 leases pending and 2 available spaces, but the largest pending lease is 3,600 sq ft. Not sure the normal gym size, but it seems small for a Plant Fitness.

http://api.echorealty.reol.com/pdf?file_name=shoppes_at_apple_greene_siteplan_17.pdf

This obviously assumes they'll build in the Shops at Apple Green and not anywhere else, but I haven't seen any other construction in Dunkirk, yet.

Thanks for this, yeah it looks like no PF then. Well I was just reading that a gym size can be anywhere from 2,500 to 5,000 sq ft. Maybe they will build in the 3,600 sq feet one.

Other thought is they can rent both (10072 & 10076) if permitted and feasible.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
- Harris Teeter
- Marshalls
- Taco Bell
- MOD
- Five Guys
- Jersey Mikes
- Cleaner
- Liquor Store
- Nail shop
- Great Clips

That's because the proposed (and approved) Planet Fitness isn't in the Apple Greene development but down behind Wal Mart where the hardware is located. Two buildings, one a gym the other a performing arts center.

steppinthrax

I heard the Safeway was going to be Planet Fitness.

That's what I'm thinking. When the Harris Teeter goes in it will put a strain on Safeway, they will close, that will likely have the building and SqFt to become a planet fitness. But that's a long time away, if that were to be the case .

Baker12

- Harris Teeter
- Marshalls
- Taco Bell
- MOD
- Five Guys
- Jersey Mikes
- Cleaner
- Liquor Store
- Nail shop
- Great Clips

LOL! This is about the trashiest lineup of stores I have ever seen. Marshalls, Taco Bell and a liquor store...that pretty much covers all the bases

steppinthrax

LOL! This is about the trashiest lineup of stores I have ever seen. Marshalls, Taco Bell and a liquor store...that pretty much covers all the bases

Calvert County isn't exactly like NoVa or Bethesda with all the status chasing money hungry people. You have a strong middle to middle-upper class with sensible taste and practical taste.

steppinthrax

Fixed your quote to more reflect reality.

I guess I have a better opinion of the people that I've seen while here for the last 7 years. They are particle people, shop at walmart and make a high income. Save money for their kids college etc... Unlike PG county with the 2018 BMWs being pulled into the section 8 rentals. Or the Asians in Bethesda that think the map of the world only includes Bethesda.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I guess I have a better opinion of the people that I've seen while here for the last 7 years. They are particle people, shop at walmart and make a high income. Save money for their kids college etc... Unlike PG county with the 2018 BMWs being pulled into the section 8 rentals. Or the Asians in Bethesda that think the map of the world only includes Bethesda.

Where's the real steppinthrax and what have you done with him?

steppinthrax

Where's the real steppinthrax and what have you done with him?

It's taken me some time to "adjust" to the area. While I do have some issues, the biggest is the convenience factor (i.e. only one gym company). Overall the benefits outweigh the negatives. It seems I only experience or hear about discriminatory statements here on somd forums. Those few luckily represent only .000000000000000001% of the somd population.