Army mulls tougher basic training

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Citing a disturbing trend of new soldiers lacking both proper discipline and physical fitness, senior U.S. Army leaders are calling for a tougher and longer basic training program to prepare troops for combat over the next decade.
“We have every reason to get this right, and far fewer reasons not to,” Secretary of the Army Mark Esper said at the Association of the United States Army's Global Force Symposium in Alabama on Monday. “That’s why we are considering several initiatives — from a new physical fitness regime to reforming and extending basic training — in order to ensure our young men and women are prepared for the rigors of high-intensity combat.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ing-for-out-shape-undisciplined-recruits.html

black dog

Free America
images (2).jpeg

download.jpeg

Clem72

And what happens when the young women cannot keep up?
They will go right back to the reduced standards they adopted when first they couldn't keep up.

Standards must have already been reduced quite a bit from our day, they let Blackdog's son in after all.

black dog

Free America
And what happens when the young women cannot keep up?
They will go right back to the reduced standards they adopted when first they couldn't keep up.

If a recruit at either MCRD can't pass the minimum physical standard they either go to a platoon for extra physical training or they repeat basic, or go home.
Not everyone can be a Marine.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Standards must have already been reduced quite a bit from our day, they let Blackdog's son in after all.

I can't think of any reason why you would roll in here and insult someone's kid out of the blue like that.

black dog

Free America
I can't think of any reason why you would roll in here and insult someone's kid out of the blue like that.

That's because he couldn't cut it to be a Marine.. No hard feeling Clem, I'll post a picture of my kid in his Blues at Graduation in two months.
You can live vicariously through him.

Hijinx

That's because he couldn't cut it to be a Marine.. No hard feeling Clem, I'll post a picture of my kid in his Blues at Graduation in two months.
You can live vicariously through him.

I don't want to get into this argument, but the story is about the Army.

black dog

Free America

Who's arguing, I'm laughing. And now you want it to be about the Army, why did you ask me a question about the Corps in post 4?
And after Marine Boot there are two Marine Infantry Schools, one for those Marines that will not be under a Infantry MOS and those Marines that will be under a under a Infantry MOS .

Hijinx

Who's arguing, I'm laughing. And now you want it to be about the Army, why did you ask me a question about the Corps in post 4?
And after Marine Boot there are two Marine Infantry Schools, one for those Marines that will not be under a Infantry MOS and those Marines that will be under a under a Infantry MOS .

I didn't mention Marines in post #4.
The title of the thread says Army.

Maybe you should lay off the sauce.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member

And I'm sure the other branches of service are having the same issues.

35 years ago, I didn't think Navy bootcamp PT was all that difficult. I did notice on a lot of our fun runs that many guys would stop and walk to sort of catch their breath. And several of us could jog at a good clip and still hold a conversation.

I'm betting the switch from free range kids to playdate pals has a lot to do with the lack of physical fitness in today's recruits. Perhaps there needs to be a pre boot camp conditioning period. After you demonstrate you can handle the physical rigors then you can proceed forward with the actual bootcamp.

Hijinx

35 years ago, I didn't think Navy bootcamp PT was all that difficult. I did notice on a lot of our fun runs that many guys would stop and walk to sort of catch their breath. And several of us could jog at a good clip and still hold a conversation.

I'm betting the switch from free range kids to playdate pals has a lot to do with the lack of physical fitness in today's recruits. Perhaps there needs to be a pre boot camp conditioning period. After you demonstrate you can handle the physical rigors then you can proceed forward with the actual bootcamp.

I am sure you are correct, that all of the branches are having problems and many have lowered the standards.
As I said i didn't want to get into the argument because I knew the argumentative MO's of the participants.
I only wanted to remind them that the thread was titled Army mulls tougher Standards.

black dog

Free America
I didn't mention Marines in post #4.
The title of the thread says Army.

Maybe you should lay off the sauce.

For someone who didn't want to argue, you sure are putting up a front.
I mentioned Marines and you responded to my post.
Lay off the sauce? You definitely don't know me..

black dog

Free America

Like the Corps Delayed Entry Program, from when my son enlisted he wanted 6 months before he shipped out. He went to his recruiters office down south twice a week and to the Waldorf recruiters office one sat a month until his date for final meps at Ft Meade and departure for MCRD Parris Island. I believe that can delay for up to a year..
When the poolies report to their recruiters office on Tues and Thurs they would do extra PT along with learning basic Marine structure and history and other things. Once a month in Waldorf was mostly all PT and being able to talk to new Marines that were on there 10 day leave after basic.
I don't know if the other Branches offer that. It's been around for the Corps for quite awhile.

Hijinx

Hey Momakookoo you might want to read post #4..

I must admit to a mistake I made.
I posted off your picture of the corps.
I admit the mistake and will try to see it doesn't happen again.
I meant no mention of the corps. It was your picture and I didn't pay it it;s proper attention. I apologize.

black dog

Free America
I must admit to a mistake I made.
I posted off your picture of the corps.
I admit the mistake and will try to see it doesn't happen again.
I meant no mention of the corps. It was your picture and I didn't pay it it;s proper attention. I apologize.

Accepted...No worries here. :yay: