1 Samuel 17 Meet Goliath

seekeroftruth

1 Samuel 17:1 Now the Philistines gathered their forces for war and assembled at Sokoh in Judah. They pitched camp at Ephes Dammim, between Sokoh and Azekah. 2 Saul and the Israelites assembled and camped in the Valley of Elah and drew up their battle line to meet the Philistines. 3 The Philistines occupied one hill and the Israelites another, with the valley between them.

4 A champion named Goliath, who was from Gath, came out of the Philistine camp. His height was six cubits and a span.[a] 5 He had a bronze helmet on his head and wore a coat of scale armor of bronze weighing five thousand shekels(b); 6 on his legs he wore bronze greaves, and a bronze javelin was slung on his back. 7 His spear shaft was like a weaver’s rod, and its iron point weighed six hundred shekels.[c] His shield bearer went ahead of him.

8 Goliath stood and shouted to the ranks of Israel, “Why do you come out and line up for battle? Am I not a Philistine, and are you not the servants of Saul? Choose a man and have him come down to me. 9 If he is able to fight and kill me, we will become your subjects; but if I overcome him and kill him, you will become our subjects and serve us.” 10 Then the Philistine said, “This day I defy the armies of Israel! Give me a man and let us fight each other.” 11 On hearing the Philistine’s words, Saul and all the Israelites were dismayed and terrified.​

a. 1 Samuel 17:4 That is, about 9 feet 9 inches or about 3 meters
b. 1 Samuel 17:5 That is, about 125 pounds or about 58 kilograms
c. 1 Samuel 17:7 That is, about 15 pounds or about 6.9 kilograms

It took a while.... but I found some commentary that isn't too preachy at Bible.org.

We may very well wonder why this standoff continues for so long, with both sides feigning a fight with loud shouting and all of the hype of war, but with no real contact and no casualties. Saul and his army do not really want to fight, and neither do the Philistines. It is easier to understand the Philistines’ reluctance. They employ steel as well as bronze in their implements of war. They have chariots, for example, but these are designed for relatively level ground, not mountain slopes -- these are not “all terrain vehicles.” Neither is it easy for a heavily protected soldier like Goliath to fight with agility and ease while struggling to keep his footing on a mountain slope. The danger of fighting in such rough terrain is clearly stated later on in 2 Samuel. When the forces loyal to David go out to fight Absalom and his army, more of the rebel forces are killed by the terrain than by David’s soldiers:​

Even if the Philistines outnumber and outclass the Israelites in their weapons, the terrain is such that it greatly hinders the Philistines’ cause, somewhat like the way winter may have hindered military efforts in Europe in the past. Neither side seems to want a full-scale battle, and so Goliath’s challenge is somewhat tempting, if he can only find someone willing to fight with him.

Goliath seems to speak for the entire Philistine army when he proposes a solution to the stalemate between the two armies. It is one which will give him great pleasure (he seems to love a good fight, and the fact that he is alive bears witness that he has not lost a fight yet), and the Philistines a real advantage, if Goliath prevails. But, as the offer stands, if but one Israelite opposes Goliath and wins, Israel’s victory over the entire Philistine army will be conceded. In this way, only one life would need to be lost to determine the victorious army.

Well that's all well and good.... but when was the last time a man over 9 feet tall called anyone out for a fight.

It's March and hubby loves college basketball. Some of those boys are right tall.... and they use that height at the rim.... especially if some little short boy is assigned to them. BUT... in a hand to hand.... well sometimes it's like watching one of those wind people out in front of a car dealership... you know... with their hands flopping everywhere.... height is not always an advantage.

Now... when I was a teen I stood a foot taller than 99% of the rest of the students. As a matter of fact.... I still don't like one particular brand of canned veggies due to the nickname I was dubbed with in the 7th grade.... but my height was an advantage. Even the class bullies were afraid of me. I protected all my friends with the promise of a pounding about the head. I was only about a foot taller than my opponent.... Goliath was about 3 feet taller than the average guy. Get out a yard stick and put if up over your head... imagine... how would you bonk anything that big in the nose?

On top of that... the Israelites had shown a fear of tall people before.... remember.... The Israelites had been rescued from slavery in Egypt and they were just about ready to cross into the land that had grapes clusters so big they had to be carried on a pole between two men... when the scouting party so people like Goliath... Giants.... It was people like Goliath that scared the Israelites into wandering around the desert for 40 years. If they had been brave and trusted God.... they would have saved 40 years but they were afraid of giants. Now there is a giant taunting them....

Goliath.jpg

:coffee:

SamSpade

My favorite part of the story is an oft overlooked one - that when zealous David comes down - his brothers mocking him - and begins his little speech about how dare this man defy their army and disgrace Israel?

When they try to dismiss him - he mentions something that people often overlook when they tell the story. He tells the king he has ALREADY killed a lion and a bear at least once.

It's often depicted as a mismatch - but that's a mistake. A man with a sling in those days - if he was VERY accurate - it was like Indiana Jones and that swordsman in the first movie. A gun against a sword. Picture it - someone comes at you with a sword, and you plant one in his head with a small single shot handgun. He planted one right in his forehead, enough to knock him down. And then David killed Goliath with his OWN sword.

Brave - but coupled with strategy and experience.