Tens of thousands of teachers planning massive rallies and classroom walkouts

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The Oklahoma protest comes after Fallin signed legislation Thursday granting teachers annual pay raises averaging $6,100, the largest in state history. Oklahoma teachers had been making an average of $45,276 a year, among the lowest wages for educators in the country, according to a 2017 report by the National Education Association.

While teachers in Oklahoma say they appreciate the pay raise, they are upset that state lawmakers shortchanged their students by slating only $50 million for education programs and supplies.

Alicia Priest, president of the Oklahoma Education Association, said the union had asked that teachers' pay be raised by $10,000 annually and that funding for education be boosted by $200 million over the next three years.

[clip]

Despite the pay hike, Oklahoma educators still earn below the national average for public school teachers of $58,950 a year, according to the National Education Association report. Only teachers in Mississippi and South Dakota earn less, according to the report.

Teacher union officials in Oklahoma say many educators have left their schools for higher pay in neighboring states. In Arkansas, public school teachers earn an average of $48,218 annually, while teachers in Texas make an average of $51,890 a year.

I'm Calling :bs: here ..... the AVERAGE Median Income for OK in 2016 was 49k ...
teachers just got a $ 6100 pay raise on their 45k [ok so the pay was a little low vs the average] the UNION was demanding 10k
so some teacher(s) somewhere get paid more in their state - teachers in Ok think the deserve more ...

yeah when someone says 'it's not about the money'

it's about the MONEY

This_person

The Oklahoma protest comes after Fallin signed legislation Thursday granting teachers annual pay raises averaging $6,100, the largest in state history. Oklahoma teachers had been making an average of $45,276 a year, among the lowest wages for educators in the country, according to a 2017 report by the National Education Association.

While teachers in Oklahoma say they appreciate the pay raise, they are upset that state lawmakers shortchanged their students by slating only $50 million for education programs and supplies.

Alicia Priest, president of the Oklahoma Education Association, said the union had asked that teachers' pay be raised by $10,000 annually and that funding for education be boosted by $200 million over the next three years.

[clip]

Despite the pay hike, Oklahoma educators still earn below the national average for public school teachers of $58,950 a year, according to the National Education Association report. Only teachers in Mississippi and South Dakota earn less, according to the report.

Teacher union officials in Oklahoma say many educators have left their schools for higher pay in neighboring states. In Arkansas, public school teachers earn an average of $48,218 annually, while teachers in Texas make an average of $51,890 a year.

I'm Calling :bs: here ..... the AVERAGE Median Income for OK in 2016 was 49k ...
teachers just got a $ 6100 pay raise on their 45k [ok so the pay was a little low vs the average] the UNION was demanding 10k
so some teacher(s) somewhere get paid more in their state - teachers in Ok think the deserve more ...

it's about the MONEY

Sounds like it's about the money for the kids, not as much the money for the teachers.

I think "national averages" are a stupid way to determine pay. The cost of living in Austin, TX, is 11% higher than Tulsa, OK - so, for the same standard of living one must take home 11% more in Austin. This is why a national minimum wage is also incredibly stupid.

That said, the unions are allowed to ask for whatever they want. The state is allowed to pay whatever they vote for and the governor signs. I would ask the teachers what social programs they would like to see cut by $150M to make up the difference, and then let the groups fight it out in this public way. Or, the union reps could certainly run for office.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I think "national averages" are a stupid way to determine pay. The cost of living in Austin, TX, is 11% higher than Tulsa, OK - so, for the same standard of living one must take home 11% more in Austin. This is why a national minimum wage is also incredibly stupid.

which is why I called :bs: on the wage increase the UNION wanted ..... [10k]
I also take issue with the language 'Annual' Increase the article is not clear, is this $ 6100 this yr, then $ 6100, next yr, and so on and so on ....
This raise already puts them ahead of the median for the state ....

yeah the UNION Shill can stand there and say 'we want 200 million for students' but when they demand a raise in the same sentence ... it's about MONEY for Them

Hijinx

Sounds like it's about the money for the kids, not as much the money for the teachers.

That said, the unions are allowed to ask for whatever they want. The state is allowed to pay whatever they vote for and the governor signs. I would ask the teachers what social programs they would like to see cut by $150M to make up the difference, and then let the groups fight it out in this public way. Or, the union reps could certainly run for office.

I like that idea Pit the teachers against the entitlement folks. You want money fight the people it will be taken away from.
make it a real jousting match.

awpitt

Main Streeter

it's about the MONEY

Not all teachers make $45K that's the average. Starting teachers make $31K.