1 Samuel 17 David and Eliab

seekeroftruth

1 Samuel 17:28 When Eliab, David’s oldest brother, heard him speaking with the men, he burned with anger at him and asked, “Why have you come down here? And with whom did you leave those few sheep in the wilderness? I know how conceited you are and how wicked your heart is; you came down only to watch the battle.”

29 “Now what have I done?” said David. “Can’t I even speak?” 30 He then turned away to someone else and brought up the same matter, and the men answered him as before. 31 What David said was overheard and reported to Saul, and Saul sent for him.

The commentaries are really preachy this morning. David's zeal to defend Israel gives them a lot to talk about. The point they are all making quite clearly is this.... David is full of God's Holy Spirit. He doesn't have room in his heart for fear or lust or greed. He only has room for courage and righteousness.

The conversation with his brother is really telling. Eliab is the brother that Samuel thought God had sent him to anoint... not David. Eliab was a seasoned warrior, tall, dark, and handsome. The problem is.... Eliab was no more likely to take on Goliath than the prettyboy king Saul. They were both afraid of Goliath.

This is from blueletterbible.org.

But David's words angered Eliab, and there were many reasons why:

First, he was angry because he felt David was an insignificant, worthless person who had no right to speak up, especially with such bold words (Why did you come down here? And with whom have you left those few sheep in the wilderness?).

Second, he was angry because he felt he knew David's motivation (I know your pride and the insolence of your heart), but he didn't really know David's heart. "Here he taketh upon him that which belongeth to God alone (Jeremiah 17:10), and judgeth David's heart by his own. Well might Augustine say that envy is vitium diabolicum, a devilish vice, such as wherein is found the venom of most other vices." (Trapp)

Third, he was angry because he thought David was trying to provoke someone else into fighting Goliath just so that he could see a battle (you have come down to see the battle). Eliab himself was a tall man of good appearance (1 Samuel 16:7), and he may have felt that David was trying to push him into battle.

Finally, he was angry because David was right! When you are dismayed and greatly afraid or dreadfully afraid, the last thing in the world you want is someone telling you to be courageous.

I'm sure his brother, Eliab, was saying "Now you've done it! King Saul wants to see you.... big mouth!"

:coffee: