How to deal with obnoxious people

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There are many days when I think one or more of our forum friends was the model for Obnoxious Orange. "Hey Apple! Hey Apple!" Here are some methods of dealing with such a person, according to Success mag:

https://www.success.com/article/how-to-deal-with-obnoxious-people

I don't find #3, "Preserve the person’s self-esteem", to be effective. In fact, typically the more affirmation you give that person, the more obnoxious they become.

#2 doesn't really help, either, because then the obnoxious person digs in and becomes combative.

#1, "ignore it", is probably most effective and about all you can do. Other than that, your only recourse is to smack the #### out of them, which gets your point across quite effectively. We used to call that a "peer review" when I was a kid, and it usually shut down the loudmouths right quick.

What definitely doesn't shut them up is arguing with them. Obnoxious people LIVE to argue, and they have a lot more stamina and appetite for it than you do. You can present the most simple concept to them and they will either reject it out of hand, or pretend you're not explaining it correctly. They will then ask you extraordinarily dumb questions that are specifically designed to piss you off and make you give up the discussion so they can crow - "Yay! I won!"

So anyway, between wrangling with Intuit to get a very simple problem solved, and watching the stupidity fly in that Pop Quiz thread, my tolerance for obnoxious behavior and flagrant willful stupidity is at an end, at least for the day.

Starman

There are many days when I think one or more of our forum friends was the model for Obnoxious Orange. "Hey Apple! Hey Apple!" Here are some methods of dealing with such a person, according to Success mag:

https://www.success.com/article/how-to-deal-with-obnoxious-people

I don't find #3, "Preserve the person’s self-esteem", to be effective. In fact, typically the more affirmation you give that person, the more obnoxious they become.

#2 doesn't really help, either, because then the obnoxious person digs in and becomes combative.

#1, "ignore it", is probably most effective and about all you can do. Other than that, your only recourse is to smack the #### out of them, which gets your point across quite effectively. We used to call that a "peer review" when I was a kid, and it usually shut down the loudmouths right quick.

What definitely doesn't shut them up is arguing with them. Obnoxious people LIVE to argue, and they have a lot more stamina and appetite for it than you do. You can present the most simple concept to them and they will either reject it out of hand, or pretend you're not explaining it correctly. They will then ask you extraordinarily dumb questions that are specifically designed to piss you off and make you give up the discussion so they can crow - "Yay! I won!"

So anyway, between wrangling with Intuit to get a very simple problem solved, and watching the stupidity fly in that Pop Quiz thread, my tolerance for obnoxious behavior and flagrant willful stupidity is at an end, at least for the day.

So honest and introspective! Gold star for you today!

SamSpade

They will then ask you extraordinarily dumb questions that are specifically designed to piss you off and make you give up the discussion so they can crow - "Yay! I won!"

Years ago I was on a forum with a Brit who was determined to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Yanks were first and foremost - supreme cowards.
From our delayed entry in the world wars to our reluctance to put boots on the ground in Bosnia, he kept coming up with lame "proof" that Yanks were always losers, cowards and had no stomach for a battle.
His responses to me were among the most foul-mouthed stuff I've ever seen, and most of his "argument" was just ridicule and vulgarity.

When I finally gave up, he declared that he "won" his argument with that Yank. "Winning" wasn't logic or reason; winning was - to him - me giving up bothering.
He had succeeded in disgusting me to the point of just leaving.

So I get it - yeah. Engaging one of these guys in argument was the mistake.