Iowa’s Employment Problem: Too Many Jobs, Not Enough People

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
It is a problem playing out in many parts of the Midwest, a region with lower unemployment and higher job-opening rates than the rest of the country. Employers, especially in more rural areas, are finding that there are just too few workers. That upends a long-running view in Washington, D.C., and many state capitals, where policy makers often say the unemployed simply lack the skills to get hired.

Mr. Schumaker said Iowa has plenty of free programs to train workers. And Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds is poised to sign Tuesday legislation that would provide an estimated $18 million for worker-training programs. But shrinking high-school classes leave fewer potential trainees.

Other states, like Indiana and Wisconsin, are undertaking similar moves. President Donald Trump has touted worker-training programs, and his daughter Ivanka visited Iowa in March to highlight the efforts.

The U.S. labor market is the tightest it has been in nearly two decades. The national unemployment rate held at a 17-year low of 4.1% for five straight months, and the number of job openings is at a record.

In the Midwest, the worker shortage is even more pronounced.

If every unemployed person in the Midwest was placed into an open job, there would still be more than 180,000 unfilled positions, according to the most recent Labor Department data. The 12-state region is the only area of the country where job openings outnumber out-of-work job seekers.

Iowa’s Employment Problem: Too Many Jobs, Not Enough People

Starman

That's because Iowa and places like Kansas and Nebraska out there in the nether regions are complete #### holes and people GTFO at the first opportunity in order to make a living. I can't say I blame them.

Usually when companies say, "we can't find enough employees.." the leave off the key part of that sentence -- "...for the amount of money we want to pay". If a company isn't profitable at prevailing rates for labor, they shouldn't exist.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If every unemployed person in the Midwest was placed into an open job, there would still be more than 180,000 unfilled positions, according to the most recent Labor Department data. The 12-state region is the only area of the country where job openings outnumber out-of-work job seekers.

It never ceases to amaze me how people want to all jam into the same space. They cluster in horrid cities and tiny little states, and leave the gorgeous west and midwest largely unpopulated.

Then, of course, they whine because they can't get ahead and have a decent life.

This is probably fine with westerners and midwesterners; they don't want your crime and crappy attitude and bull#### anyway. But it's still amazing to see so many people huddled and sheeplike.

Monello and I also notice that in areas with a large population, people are grouchy and unpleasant, whereas when they have some space to spread out people are a lot more civil and friendly. That can't be a coincidence.

Hijinx

Stop unemployment and disability Social Security and there will appear almost magically a new job crew.

black dog

Free America
that's because iowa and places like kansas and nebraska out there in the nether regions are complete #### holes and people gtfo at the first opportunity in order to make a living. I can't say i blame them.

Usually when companies say, "we can't find enough employees.." the leave off the key part of that sentence -- "...for the amount of money we want to pay". if a company isn't profitable at prevailing rates for labor, they shouldn't exist.

lol........

officeguy

Iowa has a labor shortage yet there are tens of thousands of 'unemployed' sitting on their Duff one state over in the manufacturing towns in IL and WI.

black dog

Free America
Iowa has a labor shortage yet there are tens of thousands of 'unemployed' sitting on their Duff one state over in the manufacturing towns in IL and WI.

One of the problems in the mid-west and west is transportation, If the next town or two from where you live has jobs available and you don't have transportation you are sh!t outta luck. For most small citys out here don't have public transportation much less between each city. Its not like the coast.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That's because Iowa and places like Kansas and Nebraska out there in the nether regions are complete #### holes and people GTFO at the first opportunity in order to make a living. I can't say I blame them.

I had to take you off Ignore for a second so I could laugh in your face.

:lmao:

Don't get out much, do you, son?

Now back on Ignore you go! Run along, now! Ta ta!

Hijinx

The unemployed are not looking for work. They are enjoying sitting on their asses and getting a check

officeguy

One of the problems in the mid-west and west is transportation, If the next town or two from where you live has jobs available and you don't have transportation you are sh!t outta luck. For most small citys out here don't have public transportation much less between each city. Its not like the coast.

Yep, if you are so dependent that work has to come to you rather than the other way around, then a job an hour away won't do you much good.
I drove through Indiana, IL and Iowa yesterday. No shortage of roads and economically priced cars.

When I lived in Milwaukee county, Generac in Waukesha was looking for workers to fill a second shift in their assembly line for the larger domestic and commercial generators. Those were not minimum wage jobs, still they were unable to expand production. At the same time West Allis and the city of Milwaukee had thousands of 'unemployed machinists'.