Trump is wrong about Amazon on all counts

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Trump has two specific complaints about Amazon. One is that it’s ripping off the US Postal Service, costing the government billions. Perhaps a better deal can be extracted — a recent study by Citigroup concluded as much — but the postal service says its arrangement with Amazon is profitable.

The second is that Amazon doesn’t pay sales taxes. This once was true, but Amazon now collects sales taxes in all states that levy them.

The larger case against Amazon is that it’s killing off traditional retailing, while accruing too much power for itself. There’s no doubt bricks-and-mortar retail is in decline, although we shouldn’t exaggerate its scale. E-commerce currently accounts for less than 9 percent of retail sales, while Amazon, for its part, accounts for roughly 44 percent of all e-commerce.

If Amazon is sharp-elbowed and aggressive with its competitors, no one is forced to buy from it. Customers go there because they find it easy to use and cheaper than the alternatives. Amazon isn’t pocketing huge profits. Instead, it’s doing what companies should do: innovating, then plowing the proceeds into more investments (Amazon is much more than an e-commerce company).

Trump is wrong about Amazon on all counts

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Amazon isn’t pocketing huge profits.

We've already been through this. Amazon is forgoing profits at this time for dominance and market share. Once they are the only caterer in town, you watch those profits climb.

It's a smart business move, but it's also predatory and not in the consumer's long term interest.

glhs837

Power with Control
We've already been through this. Amazon is forgoing profits at this time for dominance and market share. Once they are the only caterer in town, you watch those profits climb.

It's a smart business move, but it's also predatory and not in the consumer's long term interest.

Been shopping in the Crystal Ball section again? :)

Starman

Baaaaaa. Baaaaaaaa. Baaaaa.

Starman

As they should be rewarded for investment and innovation.

Why do you hate capitalists?

The world according to the Flintstones! And it's today's millennials that are daft she will scream at you! :lmao:

littlelady

God bless the USA
As they should be rewarded for investment and innovation.

Why do you hate capitalists?

The world according to the Flintstones! And it's today's millennials that are daft she will scream at you! :lmao:

You really don’t get it. What is your opposition to gentler times? Don’t bother to reply. I know your answer, and you are not a patriot of the USA. Sad for you.

Starman

What have you to say about the petty little black/white man that never acknowledged his white half, again, after he was elected prez?

This thread has nothing to do with your sworn life enemy, the black democrat. Try, just once, to stay on topic.

littlelady

God bless the USA
This thread has nothing to do with your sworn life enemy, the black democrat. Try, just once, to stay on topic.

Seriously. You call our current President orange, and you have the nerve to say that to me? I was raised in the South, and taught to not be racist. I am very tolerant, and friendly to all I meet. Obama was not my sworn life enemy. He ended up being a flip flop, and a liar, and half white. I had high hopes for Osama. Hope for change and all that. We see how that went. Not good. Anything else I can help you with?

Starman

Seriously. You call our current President orange, and you have the nerve to say that to me? I was raised in the South, and taught to not be racist. I am very tolerant, and friendly to all I meet. Obama was not my sworn life enemy. He ended up being a flip flop, and a liar, and half white. I had high hopes for Osama. Hope for change and all that. We see how that went. Not good. Anything else I can help you with?

:lmao:

Chris0nllyn

Is Trump’s attack on Bezos and Amazon personal, or is it bad for the economy and USPS?

I'm still waiting for anyone to prove Amazon is bad for the economy and the USPS contract with Amazon is private, so no one knows what the deal is but chances are, Amazon is in-large, keeping USPS above water.

With other companies out there with similar business practices as Amazon, ask yourself why Trump hasn't mentioned them specifically.