1 Samuel 17 One Stone

seekeroftruth

1 Samuel 17:45 David said to the Philistine, “You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. 46 This day the Lord will deliver you into my hands, and I’ll strike you down and cut off your head. This very day I will give the carcasses of the Philistine army to the birds and the wild animals, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel. 47 All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the Lord saves; for the battle is the Lord’s, and he will give all of you into our hands.”

48 As the Philistine moved closer to attack him, David ran quickly toward the battle line to meet him. 49 Reaching into his bag and taking out a stone, he slung it and struck the Philistine on the forehead. The stone sank into his forehead, and he fell facedown on the ground.

50 So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone; without a sword in his hand he struck down the Philistine and killed him.

51 David ran and stood over him. He took hold of the Philistine’s sword and drew it from the sheath. After he killed him, he cut off his head with the sword.

When the Philistines saw that their hero was dead, they turned and ran. 52 Then the men of Israel and Judah surged forward with a shout and pursued the Philistines to the entrance of Gath[f] and to the gates of Ekron. Their dead were strewn along the Shaaraim road to Gath and Ekron. 53 When the Israelites returned from chasing the Philistines, they plundered their camp.

54 David took the Philistine’s head and brought it to Jerusalem; he put the Philistine’s weapons in his own tent.

55 As Saul watched David going out to meet the Philistine, he said to Abner, commander of the army, “Abner, whose son is that young man?”

Abner replied, “As surely as you live, Your Majesty, I don’t know.”

56 The king said, “Find out whose son this young man is.”

57 As soon as David returned from killing the Philistine, Abner took him and brought him before Saul, with David still holding the Philistine’s head.

58 “Whose son are you, young man?” Saul asked him.

David said, “I am the son of your servant Jesse of Bethlehem.”​

f. 1 Samuel 17:52 Some Septuagint manuscripts; Hebrew of a valley

This is from Bible.org.

We often expect God to bring about the defeat of his enemies by the use of unusual, spectacular means. God did bring plagues upon the Egyptians and drown their army in the Red Sea. God used earthquakes and thunderstorms and floods. God is capable of delivering His people any way He chooses. But in the case of Goliath, God used a young man and a sling. These may not be impressive weapons in and of themselves, but David and his sling made a big impression on Goliath! When the more mundane means are employed by God, we should nevertheless remember that even our skill at shooting an arrow, or hurling a stone, or standing on slippery ground comes from Him:​

These comments are from blueletterbible.org.

He slung it and struck the Philistine in his forehead, so that the stone sank into his forehead, and he fell on his face: David had the calm hand and careful aim of someone who is really trusting in God. He used the sling - which was a leather strap with a pouch in the middle - to hurl a stone, killing Goliath.

David ran and stood over the Philistine, took his sword and drew it out of its sheath and killed him, and cut off his head with it: First, David made certain the job was dead. You can't mess around with sin or your spiritual enemies; you must kill them dead. Second, David used Goliath's own sword to cut off his head.

David took the head of the Philistine and brought it to Jerusalem, but he put his armor in his tent: Since it was many years later that Jerusalem was conquered (2 Samuel 5:6-10), it is likely that this means David eventually brought Goliath's head to Jerusalem. But David will use the sword of Goliath later (1 Samuel 21:9). David had some enduring reminders of God's great work.

Inquire whose son this young man is: Does this mean that Saul did not recognize David, even though David had played for Saul in the palace, to soothe the king when the distressing spirit came upon him (1 Samuel 16:14-23)?

Perhaps Saul did recognize David, and he was simply asking about David's family background (inquire whose son this young man is). After all, Saul had promised his daughter to the man who killed Goliath, and Saul wanted to know something about his future son-in-law.​

So order is once again restored. Goliath is no longer standing there yelling obscenities. The Philistines [Palestinians] have fled with Saul's army in hot pursuit. Saul can go back to being the king.... for a while. David can go back to being Saul's solace musician... but now he's also going to be the son-in-law to the king.

I wonder.... before going on.... if David is going to miss being a shepherd with a few sheep in the wilderness. I wonder how his brother Eliab is going to react to David's victory.

Apparently.... David was a teenager when this all happened....

A teenager.... why that's just crazy... my Sunday School kids thought everyone in the Bible was old and gray... with the exception of baby Jesus and baby Moses that is.... David was a teenager.... and now his family will live tax free and he's going to marry the king's daughter.

:coffee: