St. Mary’s Lake 4/5/2018

lovinmaryland

DH hit the lake for the first time this “spring” yesterday.

Started out with a lot of small guys

Attachments

• B0649866-46D3-4C57-9F03-CC7CFF04C8AA.jpg
    B0649866-46D3-4C57-9F03-CC7CFF04C8AA.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 227
  • 04E4DD9B-4C28-4138-AF73-48915BC7D6A9.jpg
    04E4DD9B-4C28-4138-AF73-48915BC7D6A9.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 116
  • F9C2FC08-A843-4C84-8B2E-BAD67FD45D48.jpg
    F9C2FC08-A843-4C84-8B2E-BAD67FD45D48.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 121

lovinmaryland

Then they started to get a little bit bigger

Attachments

• 27522845-22BC-4A5C-838F-9408E1717451.jpg
    27522845-22BC-4A5C-838F-9408E1717451.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 340

lovinmaryland

He finished the afternoon off by catching one of the biggest bass he’s ever caught! :oldman: :faint: :dingding:

Attachments

• C78A2C62-69E0-4FEA-B87C-AAC1BA351CAA.jpg
    C78A2C62-69E0-4FEA-B87C-AAC1BA351CAA.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 6B45FEF8-2724-440C-9057-CCF51988F7CA.jpg
    6B45FEF8-2724-440C-9057-CCF51988F7CA.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 128

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
That is 1 fat sow he caught there. SML is famous for it's dinky bass. I know there has to be a few hogs in there. What did he catch that on?

:oldman:

Why is he wearing a fake beard and sunglasses? Witness protection?

limblips

PREMO Member
SML is a good candidate for a slot limit type lake for a few years. It really needs the smaller ones removed. It has great potential but the smaller ones will never get huge and only compete for the available food. Reminds me of a farm pond I used to fish. A bass just about every cast but all were 10 inches. Game biologist said they will never get any bigger, natures way of keeping the population matched to the food supply.

lovinmaryland

That is 1 fat sow he caught there. SML is famous for it's dinky bass. I know there has to be a few hogs in there. What did he catch that on?

:oldman:

Why is he wearing a fake beard and sunglasses? Witness protection?
Haha I know right it’s a great disguise!

Here’s the lure he used
SML is a good candidate for a slot limit type lake for a few years. It really needs the smaller ones removed. It has great potential but the smaller ones will never get huge and only compete for the available food. Reminds me of a farm pond I used to fish. A bass just about every cast but all were 10 inches. Game biologist said they will never get any bigger, natures way of keeping the population matched to the food supply.
He’s actually caught quite a few decent size bass there mostly between 2-4lbs but nothing like this fatty.

Attachments

• 2B0E5F19-F1AB-4AB9-A121-BB49D63871FD.jpg
    2B0E5F19-F1AB-4AB9-A121-BB49D63871FD.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 307

Monello

PREMO Member
SML is a good candidate for a slot limit type lake for a few years. It really needs the smaller ones removed. It has great potential but the smaller ones will never get huge and only compete for the available food.

SML has a slot limit. DNR will tell you that several limits of under 11 inch fish should be retained each year. But nobody is keeping fish that small so they get returned to the lake to compete for the limited food supply. Here's the current bass regs for the lake:

• No bass in possession can measure between 11 and 15 inches long.
  • Only one bass in possession may be 15 inches or longer.

Bonehead

I sure hope that fish went back in the water although laying it on the ground is kinda dumb if it is catch and release.

lovinmaryland

I sure hope that fish went back in the water although laying it on the ground is kinda dumb if it is catch and release.
Yes he did catch & release it, he never keeps bass... Said it was out for less than 2 minutes. He was alone and the only way he could think of to get a picture that showed it to scale. He said it swam off when he put it back in the water so hopefully it’s ok :shrug:
[/COLOR]
[/LIST]

If he's allowed one over 15" why would he throw it back?

I’ve never understood why he releases them when we could eat them lol. He thinks if he releases it he/or another fisherman can come back another day to catch it.

limblips

PREMO Member
SML has a slot limit. DNR will tell you that several limits of under 11 inch fish should be retained each year. But nobody is keeping fish that small so they get returned to the lake to compete for the limited food supply. Here's the current bass regs for the lake:

• No bass in possession can measure between 11 and 15 inches long.
  • Only one bass in possession may be 15 inches or longer.

Thanks for the info! That needs to be publicized better (or more of us need to read the regs!!).

Bonehead

Yes he did catch & release it, he never keeps bass... Said it was out for less than 2 minutes. He was alone and the only way he could think of to get a picture that showed it to scale. He said it swam off when he put it back in the water so hopefully it’s ok :shrug:

I’ve never understood why he releases them when we could eat them lol. He thinks if he releases it he/or another fisherman can come back another day to catch it.

Good for him ! That was a female loaded with eggs, let her spawn then catch and keep. Killing that fish now would be like killing thousands. I know most fry get eaten but a few would survive.

Monello

PREMO Member
Thanks for the info! That needs to be publicized better (or more of us need to read the regs!!).

Here are links for both fresh, saltwater and crabbing regs. Luck for Maryland anglers the rules are pretty straightforward. In some states the rules on a river change depending on where you are on the river.

Monello

PREMO Member
Good for him ! That was a female loaded with eggs, let her spawn then catch and keep. Killing that fish now would be like killing thousands. I know most fry get eaten but a few would survive.

But even the fry that never make it very long are food for other fish. Watch a bass sit on a bed and you will see a dozen bluegill hanging around just waiting to ambush the nest to get an easy meal.