1 Samuel 19 Second and Third Deliverences

seekeroftruth

1 Samuel 19:8 Once more war broke out, and David went out and fought the Philistines. He struck them with such force that they fled before him.

9 But an evil[a] spirit from the Lord came on Saul as he was sitting in his house with his spear in his hand. While David was playing the lyre, 10 Saul tried to pin him to the wall with his spear, but David eluded him as Saul drove the spear into the wall. That night David made good his escape.

11 Saul sent men to David’s house to watch it and to kill him in the morning. But Michal, David’s wife, warned him, “If you don’t run for your life tonight, tomorrow you’ll be killed.” 12 So Michal let David down through a window, and he fled and escaped. 13 Then Michal took an idol and laid it on the bed, covering it with a garment and putting some goats’ hair at the head.

14 When Saul sent the men to capture David, Michal said, “He is ill.”

15 Then Saul sent the men back to see David and told them, “Bring him up to me in his bed so that I may kill him.” 16 But when the men entered, there was the idol in the bed, and at the head was some goats’ hair.

17 Saul said to Michal, “Why did you deceive me like this and send my enemy away so that he escaped?”

Michal told him, “He said to me, ‘Let me get away. Why should I kill you?’”​

a. 1 Samuel 19:9 Or But a harmful

This is from the blueletterbible.org site.

Previously, Saul swore, "As the LORD lives, he shall not be killed." (1 Samuel 19:6). Now, for the second time, Saul goes back on that oath. He now sends "hit men" to David's house to watch him and to kill him.

But Michal, David's wife saves the day. Michal was Saul's daughter, so this was a conflict of loyalties for Michal. Should she act in her father's interests or in her husband's interests? Here, she makes the right choice and supports her husband David.

Michal helped by letting David down through a window. As David decided on a course of action, she was there to support and help him put it into practice. Michal's help was successful, because David fled and escaped.

During this night, when men watched his house and David escaped, he composed a song unto the LORD, found in Psalm 59. The introduction of that Psalm says, when Saul sent men, and they watched the house in order to kill him.​

Saul's was full of drama.... huh! Can you imagine.... there's David playing his peaceful lyre [like a guitar] and Saul is sitting on his throne toying with his spear. Wait... wasn't the fact that David's father in law was playing with a spear give them a clue? In the modern days... he'd be playing with is gun.

I think David got the idea that this was going to be a long night when Saul hurled the spear at him. That would be like having someone shoot at you.... David's lucky he has God on his side. I'm sure Saul rarely missed when he hurled his spear. It's not like David could just jump out of the way... he was holding that instrument too.

I wonder.... was Saul roaming the halls while David and Michal came up with David's escape plan? When he ordered his henchmen to go get David.... was he examining the blade on his spear? Did they hear the men at the door while Michal was lowering David out the window?

So much drama.... can't you just hear Michal sobbing at her father.... "but I looovvveee him".

:coffee: