75 Attractions to See While Driving Across the Country

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The Santa Monica Pier:
There are wonderful entertainment piers/boardwalks like that all over America. Galveston has one. There's one in Destin. The Jersey Shore. Ocean City, MD.

The Country Music Hall of Fame:
SUPER cool, even if you're not a country music fan. Definitely a must-see. And see the Johnny Cash museum while you're in that neck of the woods.

Caverns:
All across America and if you've seen one, you've seen 'em all. (Unless you're an avid caver.)

Same with historic homes. The only reason you'd care is if you have a specific interest in the home owner.

I can think of a number of attractions/sights they left off, most notably the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, WY. Also I always see these "overrated attractions" stories, and many of them have Mount Rushmore on the list - this is a bull#### lie. Mount Rushmore was amazing and breathtaking, and the history of it is fascinating. Custer SP and the Crazy Horse statue was a letdown, but Mount Rushmore was a star.

I love stories like this and always look at them, but have learned you have to take them with a grain of salt.

black dog

Free America
The Santa Monica Pier:
There are wonderful entertainment piers/boardwalks like that all over America. Galveston has one. There's one in Destin. The Jersey Shore. Ocean City, MD.

The Country Music Hall of Fame:
SUPER cool, even if you're not a country music fan. Definitely a must-see. And see the Johnny Cash museum while you're in that neck of the woods.

Caverns:
All across America and if you've seen one, you've seen 'em all. (Unless you're an avid caver.)

Same with historic homes. The only reason you'd care is if you have a specific interest in the home owner.

I can think of a number of attractions/sights they left off, most notably the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, WY. Also I always see these "overrated attractions" stories, and many of them have Mount Rushmore on the list - this is a bull#### lie. Mount Rushmore was amazing and breathtaking, and the history of it is fascinating. Custer SP and the Crazy Horse statue was a letdown, but Mount Rushmore was a star.

I love stories like this and always look at them, but have learned you have to take them with a grain of salt.

Country Hall was fun, Jimmy Martin was a cousin.
Did you stop at The Custer Museum? I'd like to see Crazy Horse now, it's been since 1973 for me.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Did you stop at The Custer Museum? I'd like to see Crazy Horse now, it's been since 1973 for me.

It's unlikely any progress has been made on the monument since then. They've been "working" on Crazy Horse since 1948; it took only 14 years to sculpt Mount Rushmore.

They have a Native American peddler village set up, which is cool, with super pricey crafts and art, but the museum is fairly basic and underwhelming. It's expensive to get into the park itself - $20 per vehicle vs. $11 per vehicle for Mount Rushmore.

We drove all over Custer looking for buffalo, and finally found a herd on our way out of the park.