1 Samuel 20 "David must die"

seekeroftruth

1 Samuel 20:24 So David hid in the field, and when the New Moon feast came, the king sat down to eat. 25 He sat in his customary place by the wall, opposite Jonathan,[a] and Abner sat next to Saul, but David’s place was empty. 26 Saul said nothing that day, for he thought, “Something must have happened to David to make him ceremonially unclean—surely he is unclean.” 27 But the next day, the second day of the month, David’s place was empty again. Then Saul said to his son Jonathan, “Why hasn’t the son of Jesse come to the meal, either yesterday or today?”

28 Jonathan answered, “David earnestly asked me for permission to go to Bethlehem. 29 He said, ‘Let me go, because our family is observing a sacrifice in the town and my brother has ordered me to be there. If I have found favor in your eyes, let me get away to see my brothers.’ That is why he has not come to the king’s table.”

30 Saul’s anger flared up at Jonathan and he said to him, “You son of a perverse and rebellious woman! Don’t I know that you have sided with the son of Jesse to your own shame and to the shame of the mother who bore you? 31 As long as the son of Jesse lives on this earth, neither you nor your kingdom will be established. Now send someone to bring him to me, for he must die!”

32 “Why should he be put to death? What has he done?” Jonathan asked his father. 33 But Saul hurled his spear at him to kill him. Then Jonathan knew that his father intended to kill David.

34 Jonathan got up from the table in fierce anger; on that second day of the feast he did not eat, because he was grieved at his father’s shameful treatment of David.​

a. 1 Samuel 20:25 Septuagint; Hebrew wall. Jonathan arose

Wow... Saul hurled his spear at his own son. He's gotten dangerous and his family knows it now.

This is from Bible.org.

It most certainly is a problem to Saul! He goes into a rage, and his anger focuses on Jonathan. It is all Jonathan’s fault, Saul concludes. He calls his own son a most offensive name. All of Saul’s accusations are essentially true and based upon the covenant that Jonathan and David have made. Jonathan is Saul’s first-born, the heir to his throne. Jonathan is throwing all this away by pledging his love and allegiance to David. If David lives, the throne will be his and not Jonathan’s. Because of this, Saul commands Jonathan to bring David to him to be killed.

It seems that these verses are pretty cut and dry. The commentaries are pretty much all the same. There are just a couple of points to notice. Saul sat with his back against the wall. That way no one could get him from behind. He was afraid that someone would kill him.

Jonathan has lied to his father for David. Jonathan is feeding Saul a lie that he and David concocted. It was a believable story.... family should be sharing this sacrifice with family. David has two families now, according to Saul. He's the Son of Jesse in Bethlehem and he's the son-in-law to Saul the king because he's married to Michal.... Saul's daughter. Instead, Jonathan is lying about David's location because Saul wants to kill his son-in-law before he steals the throne from Saul and his family.

One last little point this morning.... Saul is all upset because Jonathan could loose the throne to David. Does that excuse or explain Saul's actions? What good would it do to save a throne for your son if you put a spear through him first???? Saul is crazy.

:coffee: