Drinking Coffee While Black

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The video, posted to Twitter by a woman sitting in the shop, shows police speaking to — and then arresting — two black men that the woman says were simply sitting in the Starbucks waiting for a third member of their party before ordering coffee.

The woman, author Melissa DePino, told media that both men were sitting at a table for less than 15 minutes before store employees called the cops. Both men left the store peacefully, but in handcuffs. Their friend, DePino reported, showed up around the same time the police did.

@Starbucks The police were called because these men hadn’t ordered anything. They were waiting for a friend to show up, who did as they were taken out in handcuffs for doing nothing. All the other white ppl are wondering why it’s never happened to us when we do the same thing. pic.twitter.com/0U4Pzs55Ci

— Melissa DePino (@missydepino) April 12, 2018

The men were finally released from custody hours later, according to DePino, who added that the pair were real estate brokers who were there for a friendly meeting. DePino says there is no more to the story, even though, she says, a number of people have asked to elaborate on how the men were dressed, and how they were acting, on the presumption that two black men could not have been arrested for simply sitting in a Starbucks.

Starbucks CEO Forced To Apologize After Two Innocent Men Arrested In Philly Store

Starman

At least they were only arrested and not shot dead, which is what normally happens.

So progress I reckon.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
The video, posted to Twitter by a woman sitting in the shop, shows police speaking to — and then arresting — two black men that the woman says were simply sitting in the Starbucks waiting for a third member of their party before ordering coffee.

The woman, author Melissa DePino, told media that both men were sitting at a table for less than 15 minutes before store employees called the cops. Both men left the store peacefully, but in handcuffs. Their friend, DePino reported, showed up around the same time the police did.
@Starbucks The police were called because these men hadn’t ordered anything. They were waiting for a friend to show up, who did as they were taken out in handcuffs for doing nothing. All the other white ppl are wondering why it’s never happened to us when we do the same thing. pic.twitter.com/0U4Pzs55Ci

— Melissa DePino (@missydepino) April 12, 2018

The men were finally released from custody hours later, according to DePino, who added that the pair were real estate brokers who were there for a friendly meeting. DePino says there is no more to the story, even though, she says, a number of people have asked to elaborate on how the men were dressed, and how they were acting, on the presumption that two black men could not have been arrested for simply sitting in a Starbucks.

Starbucks CEO Forced To Apologize After Two Innocent Men Arrested In Philly Store

The title is wrong, it should be "Not drinking coffee while black".

BOP

Something doesn't pass the smell test. Two black guys sitting there talking quietly about going to college and becoming doctors and suddenly the cops are busting through the doors, dogs snarling, tasers ready, guns drawn, only to "arrest" these two fine upstanding citizens, just to turn around and release them a couple of hours later. In this day and age. After all the riots and protests. In Philadelphia where white people are pretty much the minority. Riiiight. :bs:

black dog

Free America
How many white people get arrested, or even have the police called on them, for sitting in Starbucks waiting for someone?

Well genius, this thread is not about white folks being arrested in Starbucks now is it.
It's about 2 black men being arrested and being set free a few hours later.
It sounds like Starbucks made a mistake, and apologized for mistake.
The question still is, why we're they arrested?

Starman

Well genius, this thread is not about white folks being arrested in Starbucks now is it.
It's about 2 black men being arrested and being set free a few hours later.
It sounds like Starbucks made a mistake, and apologized for mistake.
The question still is, why we're they arrested?

Starbuckin' while black.

officeguy

The only time I have ever seen a starbucks manager call the police to evict squatters was after he told them to leave in person. It's only trespassing if you have been told to leave or been issued a written no-trespass order in the past. I think we are only getting about 1/3 of the story.

black dog

Free America
The only time I have ever seen a starbucks manager call the police to evict squatters was after he told them to leave in person. It's only trespassing if you have been told to leave or been issued a written no-trespass order in the past. I think we are only getting about 1/3 of the story.

Yep,, back to my question, why were they arrested..

glhs837

Power with Control

Female manager got nervous, asked them to order or leave, they were waiting to meet a guy, the white guy who recorded it, it was happening when he arrived to meet them. he official reason was that they had used the restroom without being paying customers and were therefore trespassing, IIRC. Now, they guy they were meeting, he says they were meeting him to discuss real estate investment. Now, they dont look like folks I imagine have the cash flow to invest, but who knows.

officeguy

The correct answer is probably 'because they refused to leave after being asked to by the manager of the business'. I dont believe the video shows the entire interaction from them entering the store. Asking to use the bathroom is not a crime. Not purchasing merchandise and refusing to leave could be simple trespass. The fact that Starbucks went into full apology mode and threw the manager under the bus doesn't prove that the police call was unjustified. They just bow to the screaming mob.

Yes, Starbucks is a 'gathering place', but at the end of the day the only way they make money is by selling us their overpriced and over-roasted coffee. The deal isn't all that difficult to understand. We buy the coffee, and they give us a place to hang out along decent wifi. If you go there to meet someone, you buy a cup of whatever and sit down. Once your counterpart arrives, you say 'can I get you something' which they dutifully decline. That way you sit at a table with a starbucks cup on on it and nobody gets arrested. If you ask with the necessary level of deference, Verquonica will even give you the 6 digit combination to the bathroom and you can go and pee without getting arrested.

Sounds like this manager had to deal with one too many squatters and when the two guests didn't follow the script, she was quicker on the draw than the situation warranted.

glhs837

Power with Control
. Asking to use the bathroom is not a crime. Not purchasing merchandise and refusing to leave could be simple trespass. The fact that Starbucks went into full apology mode and threw the manager under the bus doesn't prove that the police call was unjustified. They just bow to the screaming mob.

Y

Sounds like this manager had to deal with one too many squatters and when the two guests didn't follow the script, she was quicker on the draw than the situation warranted.

No, but using it as a non-customer is trespass, which is what I thought I read. Agree with the rest of your take.

officeguy

No, but using it as a non-customer is trespass, which is what I thought I read. Agree with the rest of your take.

Only if you have been told not to use it. Just asking is never trespass.

Facts and legalities dont matter in this case. The company has decided to go into full apology mode and tries to minimize the PR damage. I have seen a manager getting somewhat militant about only allowing customers in the store and in the bathrooms, and that was the chinatown starbucks in DC.

Last edited:

Starman

That's a stretch.

*$'s culture is one of wanting people there, even if only milling about smartly or working on an Apple-branded product. They desire an operational energy that takes eyeballs on the street passing by a store and draws them to the scene inside. It's part of the culture and the business model -- that of viewing *$ as a "second office". It's a large reason that there are no franchises, only company-owned outlets -- because they want a uniform culture to permeate.

They've been happy to have me sit there for hours while on travel, using Wi-Fi and not purchasing anything (though I often do, even if it's on my way out the door). I've interviewed job candidates there, and taken other meetings there, sitting for hours at a time. One single time, at New York's Penn Station, a barista gave me chit for wanting to use the bathroom without purchasing anything -- "there's a bathroom out and around the corner". Never asked to leave though.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
That's a stretch.

*$'s culture is one of wanting people there, even if only milling about smartly or working on an Apple-branded product. They desire an operational energy that takes eyeballs on the street passing by a store and draws them to the scene inside. It's part of the culture and the business model -- that of viewing *$ as a "second office". It's a large reason that there are no franchises, only company-owned outlets -- because they want a uniform culture to permeate.

They've been happy to have me sit there for hours while on travel, using Wi-Fi and not purchasing anything (though I often do, even if it's on my way out the door). I've interviewed job candidates there, and taken other meetings there, sitting for hours at a time. One single time, at New York's Penn Station, a barista gave me chit for wanting to use the bathroom without purchasing anything -- "there's a bathroom out and around the corner". Never asked to leave though.

So you’re a cheap bastard........