Powdercoating service??

MiddleGround

Anyone know where I could get some aluminum pieces powdercoated around the local area? Hopefully NOT for an arm and a leg.

TIA.

MiddleGround

https://www.google.com/search?clien...1;tbs:lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:2

Recommend Ship Point.
But for aluminum, it can 'gas out' creating bubbles in the powder coat, so pre-heat the aluminum if you can in a hot oven for an hour.

Also PM Gillgan. I think he does that too.

I asked around about Ship Point. Was told that unless you have a LOT of time to wait and have less than a few grand worth of work that needs to be done, they probably won't do it.

I am talking 2 or 3 small-ish pieces. Don't want to break the bank either.

MiddleGround

Ship Point does all of my powder coating...I only do smaller Cerakote jobs in house.

What kind of money are we talking about with your jobs? I am talking 2 or 3 small pieces. Not repetative business with hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of work.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I asked around about Ship Point. Was told that unless you have a LOT of time to wait and have less than a few grand worth of work that needs to be done, they probably won't do it.

Chip at Ship Point does small jobs all the time. He recently powder coated an outboard motor transom bracket we fabricated for a customer. But...the price is always a lot cheaper on smaller stuff if he can wait and combine it with others getting the same color. Need it right away and up goes the cost.

MiddleGround

Chip at Ship Point does small jobs all the time. He recently powder coated an outboard motor transom bracket we fabricated for a customer. But...the price is always a lot cheaper on smaller stuff if he can wait and combine it with others getting the same color. Need it right away and up goes the cost.

Does the item need to come in prepped or does Ship Point do the prep work?

stgislander

PREMO Member
I seem to remember Gardner Precision in Piney Point doing small powder coating jobs. Don't know if Joe still does it though. I guess it doesn't hurt to check.

MiddleGround

Worse comes to worse, I will just sand, prime, and paint myself but I would really like to get it powdercoated for the durability.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Worse comes to worse, I will just sand, prime, and paint myself but I would really like to get it powdercoated for the durability.

Only way to find out is to stop by the shop and ask..the power coating and blasting shop is the last building on the cul de sac, in the back of the main Ship Point machine shop building.

FWIW, I cleaned up a couple of tow hitches and gave them a few coats of high temp enamel. Came out looking like powder coat and years later still look pretty good considering the abuse they get.

Goldenhawk

I had a small single piece powder coated by Engility on Airport View Drive. Was very happy with the results. Although it was a paid job, I'm not sure if they generally offer it as a commercial service - I know a couple guys there so you may not get service there yourself.

1stGenSMIB

I had Chip at Ship Point do mine too..I would consider it a small job..it was 8 window frames for a boat that when disassembled was 24-ish pieces. I was the PITA customer too, coming in with a piece, making him stop work to talk to me about it. He took the time to recommend proper preparation and examine the piece to make sure it would be acceptable in the condition I was presenting it, so that when he got all of them he wouldn't have to bill me for labor $$ to finish prep work (which I am sure he'd gladly do at the shop's hourly rate too.)

Chip put up with me as the nitpicky guy with 40 year old aluminum parts, and they turned out great for what I thought was reasonable $$.

Nice to know CTSI will fabricate and can PC small stuff too.

Last edited: