1 Samuel 21 Doeg the Edonmite

seekeroftruth

1 Samuel 21:5 David replied, “Indeed women have been kept from us, as usual whenever(b) I set out. The men’s bodies are holy even on missions that are not holy. How much more so today!” 6 So the priest gave him the consecrated bread, since there was no bread there except the bread of the Presence that had been removed from before the Lord and replaced by hot bread on the day it was taken away.

7 Now one of Saul’s servants was there that day, detained before the Lord; he was Doeg the Edomite, Saul’s chief shepherd.

8 David asked Ahimelek, “Don’t you have a spear or a sword here? I haven’t brought my sword or any other weapon, because the king’s mission was urgent.”

9 The priest replied, “The sword of Goliath the Philistine, whom you killed in the Valley of Elah, is here; it is wrapped in a cloth behind the ephod. If you want it, take it; there is no sword here but that one.”

David said, “There is none like it; give it to me.”

b. 1 Samuel 21:5 Or from us in the past few days since

Well, the jig is up.... David's been seen by Doug the Edomite. Doug is Saul's head herdsman. Doug made it to the Bible.... but he's only in it a little while. The "Grinch" comes to mind when I think of this guy. I can see him rubbing his hands together... he knows the value of seeing David with Ahimelek.

This is from Bible.org.

The priest gives David the sacred bread, but as he does so, Doeg the Edomite looks on with great interest. Doeg is the “chief of Saul’s shepherds,” a job David could handle very well. It will not be long before Doeg reports what he has seen to Saul, bringing death to almost every soul in the city of Nob (see 22:6-23).

David now asks Ahimelech for a sword. Few swords could be found in the entire kingdom, much less in the camp of the priests. What need had they for weapons? There was but one sword on the premises, the sword of Goliath, the sword David had obtained by his victory over this Philistine giant. The sword was a kind of trophy, a memorial of the victory God gave Israel through David. In truth, it belongs to David anyway, so the priest willingly gives it to him, no doubt wondering why David came so ill prepared for battle. David gives the excuse that he was in such a hurry he didn’t have time to get his sword or other weapons. This must have produced a puzzled look on the priest’s face, as David’s story becomes harder and harder to believe. Nevertheless, he gives David Goliath’s sword, and it appears David promptly leaves for Gath.​

The commentaries all want to race ahead and tell what's going to happen next because of our new bad guy. Even Bible.org refers to the next chapter. I figure I want to know this character a tad better before getting to the rest of the story.

If he's the chief herdsman... then he too is capable of killing a bear or a wolf. This guy didn't kill Goliath as David did.... but he was probably sheltered by his job title. No one was going to call the herdsman to fight... that's under another job title.... like Soldier. Doug was a herdsman, not a soldier... that's why he wouldn't have taken on Goliath as David did. No wait... David wasn't a herdsman to the king or a soldier.

What was Doug doing residing at the Temple? He's not even Israeli. He's an Edomite.

I found this at a bulletininserts.org. Doug is a traitor!!!!

Though Doeg was on King Saul’s staff as chief shepherd, he was obviously a traitor to his own people. Israel and Edom were currently enemies (1 Sam 14:47). The statement, “detained by the Lord” does not improve our confidence in him either. It doesn’t speak of Doeg’s true devotion, for his heart was far from God, but speaks of his feigned religiosity among his adopted people.​

I wonder.... why was he there on that day? He didn't belong there... unless maybe he was delivering the king's sacrifice.... maybe that's it.

Remember Esau? Esau was the twin brother of Jacob [Jacob's name was changed it Israel by God]. Esau was older than Jacob but Jacob got him to sell his birthright to him for a bowl of stew. Then Jacob and his mother, Rebecca, worked together to steal Esau's deathbed blessing too! It caused Jacob to leave for a while until things calmed down. So Doug is one of Esau's relatives..... cousins so to speak. The Edomites don't always get along with their Israeli cousins.

So now we know a little about Doug the Edomite.

Oh and David has moved so we'll need the map again.

David flees.jpg

:coffee: