Why are gas prices going up.

Hijinx

Some say it is the weak dollar, others that Iran has stopped delivering oil to Europe.
Some claim venezuela may cut us off. (That sounds crazy as they are starving now).
Some blame it on OPEC.

My guess is that America has found ways to produce more oil.
We are self sufficient. or nearly so.
Something we have been trying to succeed at for many years.

So, now that we are self-sufficient, we are exporting oil.
As OPEC is slowing production prices, are going up in the rest of the world ,and our "American" companies are selling over there for more money and sticking the shaft to us.

That's my story anybody got a better one.
By the way the rumor is that it might get to $6.00

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Oil and oil products being a fungible commodity on international markets...

..I predicted a long time ago that the retail prices would rise back to the levels we're seeing now, as a natural balance and rebound reaction that will keep US production marching merrily along its upward path. Life is good.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I have wondered, too, since reading those headlines, lately. You seem to have posted a plausible explanation. I can’t afford 6 dollars per gallon. Let’s hope gas doesn’t go that high.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
ah yes derision from the forum Elitists ... all here to tell us poor rubes how SMART they are

This_person

ah yes derision from the forum Elitists ... all here to tell us poor rubes how SMART they are

Well, they failed at how smart they are because they offered no answer to the question. All I saw was the aforementioned derision of those who chose to answer the question with opinions of their own. The elites chose to not attempt to put themselves out there with opinion, or even *gasp* facts to answer the question.

Facts like, gas prices go up every spring in preparation for summer demand. Facts like, Russia and Saudi Arabia have cut production to try and raise gas prices because they view prices as being low due to an over-production of gasoline. Meanwhile, speculators drove the price of a barrel of oil up over $67 - not seen in 4 years - due to the strikes in Syria.

So, yeah, they could try and answer the questions, or put themselves out there, or they could just snark. We see what they chose.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Some say it is the weak dollar, others that Iran has stopped delivering oil to Europe.
Some claim venezuela may cut us off. (That sounds crazy as they are starving now).
Some blame it on OPEC.

As OPEC is slowing production prices, are going up in the rest of the world ,and our "American" companies are selling over there for more money and sticking the shaft to us.

Well .... I think oil has been suppressed for some time. In addition to fewer driving because they have no jobs. Countries are sitting on mountains of reserve dollars, aka petro-dollars, aka the reserve currency of the world, and it needs to be spent somewhere and we don't want it spent here. (Other than for trading energy, and American dollar can only be spent here.) You know, reserve dollars from all that trade imbalance we have going on? That would cause lots of inflation. There is far more in play than we can see going on behind the scenes. See, we have been exporting worth less and worthless dollars, aka inflated dollars, for cheaply made foreign goods to keep up the appearance of a high living standard for some time. Well, many countries are getting tired of having these piles American dollars on their books. The increase in oil, and oil related products, aka energy, will help to reduce those piles. While not in the best interest of those countries, it is in ours. Hence the behind the scenes activity. And hence all the continuation of all wars. A message to keep counties that hold all that money in check. It's the petro-dollar wars. And a big reason why China, and other countries are setting up energy exchanges to trade oil, and energy related products in currencies other-than US dollars. It's a big mess and we are at the bottom of that mess. It's never been about supply. It's never been about summer season gas changeover. It's about the trade wars. It's all about trade and about inflated, and continues to be inflated, US dollars.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Well, they failed at how smart they are because they offered no answer to the question.

they NEVER do ..... only derision about how dumb we are - if you call them on it 'you won't read it, are too stupid to understand it'

well then EILI5

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Some blame it on OPEC.

Gas always goes up at the beginning of warm weather and the beginning of cold weather because they have to change the blends to accommodate the temperature.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Gas always goes up at the beginning of warm weather and the beginning of cold weather because they have to change the blends to accommodate the temperature.

That too.

Back when regular dropped below 2.00 I predicted it would eventually rebound and settle in around ~3.00 because that's an equilibrium price that keeps the largest percentage of the production spectrum "happy"...from those pulling it out of the ground through those refining and distributing it. But it's always going to cycle up and down around some mean value because the pricing mechanisms are not well damped and perturbations seem to always pop up...hurricanes..floods..rig fires..foreign wars..you name it. It's always been a very sensitive commodity.

Hijinx

I think it's a little bit more than the old blend excuse this time.

stgislander

PREMO Member
That too.

Back when regular dropped below 2.00 I predicted it would eventually rebound and settle in around ~3.00 because that's an equilibrium price that keeps the largest percentage of the production spectrum "happy"...from those pulling it out of the ground through those refining and distributing it. But it's always going to cycle up and down around some mean value because the pricing mechanisms are not well damped and perturbations seem to always pop up...hurricanes..floods..rig fires..foreign wars..you name it. It's always been a very sensitive commodity.

Add to that, $3.00/gal is around the point where consumers start feeling the pinch.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I noticed the price of gas at the Wawa at the 235 and 4 intersection dropped from $2.75 last night to $2.69 this morning. :shrug: