Air National Guardsman’s dinosaur puppet re-enlistment video sparks outrage

Misfit

Lawful neutral
https://www.stripes.com/news/air-na...t-re-enlistment-video-sparks-outrage-1.522474

https://www.facebook.com/AirForceForum/videos/934187223421585/
The Tennessee Air National Guard is investigating a video that shows one of its members using a dinosaur hand puppet during a re-enlistment ceremony.

The video posted Saturday to the Facebook group Air Force amn/nco/snco shows Master Sgt. Robin Brown and an unidentified officer participating in the ceremony. Brown recites the enlistment oath while manipulating the puppet to mouth along with the words as she speaks them.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Pretty darned stupid and insulting. Being in the reserves for 21 years myself, I know some things are a bit looser, especially between the O's and the E's, but that crosses the line of respect. Both should be reprimanded.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't really understand why they did that in the first place. Why would she use a puppet, and why wouldn't the man administering the oath tell her to knock it off? They had to have known they'd be punished for it.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I don't really understand why they did that in the first place. Why would she use a puppet, and why wouldn't the man administering the oath tell her to knock it off? They had to have known they'd be punished for it.

I think like the ABC news stories says, re-enlistment ceremonies in the past have been pretty unorthodox. The thing is back then, they weren't recorded and posted on social media for the world to see. The craziest one I witnessed was a boatswain's mate wanted to reenlist up on the ship's mast while underway. The command agreed and the two donned climbing gear and up the mast they went. And our mast did not have any type platform at the top.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Using a puppet to mock the oath is pretty demeaning and insulting to the oath. A bad idea that was not thought through. Appears to me all three involved got issued appropriate penalties.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I think like the ABC news stories says, re-enlistment ceremonies in the past have been pretty unorthodox. The thing is back then, they weren't recorded and posted on social media for the world to see. The craziest one I witnessed was a boatswain's mate wanted to reenlist up on the ship's mast while underway. The command agreed and the two donned climbing gear and up the mast they went. And our mast did not have any type platform at the top.

In the Air Force we would take a cherry picker to the tail of jets to have the US Flag as the backdrop. All done respectfully, but to also scare the officer administering the oath.

Last edited: