River's Edge Restaurant in Benedict up in flames

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
MD | BENEDICT | CHARLES | COMMERCIAL FIRE | 7320 BENEDICT AVE | RIVERS EDGE RESTAURANT FULLY INVOLVED | EXTERIOR OPS

AVOID THE AREA YIELD TO RESPONDING APPARATUS

FB_IMG_1524173058801.jpg

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=958334584335100&id=258317154336850

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I just saw pictures and a live video, that I didn't watch for 12 minutes. Were they still open for business? Reminds me of when the original Lighthouse went up in flames on a windy day like today.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I just saw pictures and a live video, that I didn't watch for 12 minutes. Were they still open for business? Reminds me of when the original Lighthouse went up in flames on a windy day like today.

I don't know if they were open. But it does remind me of the Lighthouse Inn/Bowen's Inn fire. Scary!

officeguy

Dayum. That was pretty much the only business left along that waterfront. I would occasionally go there for lunch, not so much for the food than the nice waterfront location.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Damn shame. I'd stop in there on occasion when I was at DNR taking care of boat registration/title stuff. Looks completely gone .....

Grumpy

In there 2 or 3 times a month..Crabcake sandwiches were always good. Place has gone through alot of different folks owning/working it over the years. Both sons worked there at one time or another. Father-in-law did a lot electrical work when Tony(from Stoneys) had it.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Home to just one more forum M&G.

In there 2 or 3 times a month..Crabcake sandwiches were always good. Place has gone through alot of different folks owning/working it over the years. Both sons worked there at one time or another. Father-in-law did a lot electrical work when Tony(from Stoneys) had it.

I guess we'll have to find another place for the next MnG.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Total loss. What a shame.

Benedict, MD - At approximately 4:30 p.m. Thursday, April 19 crews from several Tri-County area fire departments were dispatched to a building fire on Benedict Avenue. A restaurant, the Rivers Edge, was fully involved in fire. The restaurant was located right on the Patuxent River.

BENEDICT, MD - Crews from Charles and Calvert counties' volunteer fire departments (VFD) are responding to the Rivers Edge restaurant in Benedict for a reported structure fire.

The Prince Frederick VFD reports that fire is showing throughout the restaurant. Units have been evacuated from the building due to a partial collapse. Crews are currently on scene battling the fire, use caution in the area.

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0418/riversiderestaurantdestroyedbyfirevideo.html

littlelady

God bless the USA
Very sad.

No, ####. As if we don’t all feel sad. My FIL lives in Benedict; right next to the restaurant. You can see his driveway in one of the pics. We ate there many times. We called him today to be sure he was ok. He said the wind was blowing across the river, so he wasn’t affected. He is 85 years old, and we were worried about him. We hated leaving him, but moved for grandtots. And, for the record, Montgomery Cty sucks.

SeptemberLady

Brown-Eyed Girl
This is so very sad! Restaurant was not open for the season? Glad to hear that no one was hurt. So many childhood memories with my family in the 60s. Remember it as Shorters. Believe Ray's Pier is the only one left there.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Fire that Destroyed River’s Edge Restaurant in Benedict Caused by Discarded Smoking Materials

4/20/2018 @ 9:20 p.m.: The Office of the State Fire Marshal reports, the fire at River’s Edge Restaurant, in Benedict was the result of a smoking materials station igniting on the exterior of the building. The fire spread to nearby combustible materials before extending to the building.

Employees of the establishment smelled smoke and discovered the fire outside the kitchen. Attempts to extinguish the fire by the employees were unsuccessful prior to the fire department arrival.

A fire alarm system was present and activated properly

Damage to the building and contents was estimated at $1,000,000.

All restaurant employees and approximately five customers were able to escape the building without injury.

https://smnewsnet.com/archives/4327...nedict-caused-by-discarded-smoking-materials/

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
No, ####. As if we don’t all feel sad.
Do you have to bring your petty personal vendettas into EVERY ####ing thread?

My FIL lives in Benedict; right next to the restaurant. You can see his driveway in one of the pics. We ate there many times. We called him today to be sure he was ok. He said the wind was blowing across the river, so he wasn’t affected. He is 85 years old, and we were worried about him. We hated leaving him, but moved for grandtots. And, for the record, Montgomery Cty sucks.
Nobody ####ing cares. :loser:

Last edited: