Two Florida deputy sheriffs shot and killed in restaurant.

black dog

Free America
Two Florida deputy sheriffs shot and killed in restaurant.
Release from Gilchrist County Sheriff's Office:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE ON BEHALF SHERIFF BOBBY SCHULTZ AND THE GILCHRIST COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE:

At approximately 3:00pm this afternoon, two Gilchrist County Deputy Sheriffs were shot and killed in the Ace China restaurant in downtown Trenton, after a suspect walked up to business and shot both deputies through the window. As fellow deputies responded to the scene, they found the shooter deceased outside the business, and both Deputy Sheriffs where they died of their wounds.

At this point, it remains an active criminal investigation with no apparent motive or indications as to why this tragedy occurred. Sheriff Bobby Schultz has been on scene throughout the afternoon with his deputies and their families, notifying additional loved ones, and will be speaking to the media at 7:00pm EDT.

A Media Staging Area has been established in front of Duke Energy (not related to the incident) at 1532 East Wade Street in Trenton, Florida. Requests for footage of the scene will be accommodated and updated briefing times provided as soon as they are available. Officials from the Levy County Sheriff’s Office, the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, and the State Attorney’s Office have all responded to the area to assist.

https://www.facebook.com/GilchristCountySheriffsOffice/posts/1618228278246581

This_person

Sergeant Ramirez, 29 years old, leaves behind a wife and two young children. With over seven years’ total law enforcement experience, Noel served at both the Williston Police Department and the Levy County Sheriff’s Office before joining the Gilchrist County Sheriff’s Office in 2016.

Deputy Lindsey, 25, served for over three years with the Gilchrist County Sheriff’s Office, originally joining the Sheriff’s Office in 2013. Sheriff Schultz made personal notification to loved ones of both deputies this afternoon.

Both our heroes had simply sat down to eat while on duty. There was no crime in progress, no disturbance. The suspect appears to have walked to the front of the business and shot both men without warning. Two holes in the window are visible tonight.

The shooter, found deceased from a gunshot wound by responders outside the business nearby, has been identified as John Hubert Highnote, 59, of Bell. No further information is available regarding the assailant, and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement is conducting the active, ongoing criminal investigation.

[video=youtube_share;ZGEziuGSkHo]http://youtu.be/ZGEziuGSkHo[/video]

This_person

:confused:

why are they Hero's ?

As with military, they put their lives on the line in the defense of others, and in this case lost their lives for what appears at first blush to be because they were in uniform. When one puts their life on the line for others' safety and security, they are generally considered heroes just for doing that, whether they ever see combat, or kill terrorists, or arrest mass killers, or not.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
When one puts their life on the line for others' safety and security, they are generally considered heroes just for doing that, whether they ever see combat, or kill terrorists, or arrest mass killers, or not.

Yeah, Sorry No ... some REMF with a typewriter is not a hero

Hijinx

:confused:

why are they Hero's ?

Hero's and victims.Although at the time they were doing nothing heroic, what is the harm in calling them hero's.?
Why do you object to it? Does it personally harm you to call these men heroes.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Hero's and victims. Although at the time they were doing nothing heroic, what is the harm in calling them hero's ?
Why do you object to it? Does it personally harm you to call these men heroes.

they were sitting down to eat lunch ..... nothing heroic about that
no I am not harmed, it is disingenuous to people who actually die in the service of others

you want a hero ...

- the guy who survived the crash of Florida Flight 90 into the Freezing Potomac that passing kept the rescue collar to everyone else and died because of it ...
- a guy that throws himself on a grenade to save his squad mates ...
- someone that runs into a burning building ...

plenty of people are killed going about their daily lives accidentally or on purpose they are not Hero's

this is a tragedy for sure, Hero's, not in my opinion .... :popcorn:

This_person

Yeah, Sorry No ... some REMF with a typewriter is not a hero

Did you ever see 12 O'Clock High? The adjutant in that movie was a hero.

But, if they volunteer to serve, they are just as heroic as anyone else who did, in my opinion. Where they were assigned has nothing to do with it.

That said, these officers were not rear echelon. They were front-line individuals.

Hijinx

no I am not harmed, it is disingenuous to people who actually die in the service of others

you want a hero ...

- the guy who survived the crash of Florida Flight 90 into the Freezing Potomac that passing kept the rescue collar to everyone else and died because of it ...

plenty of people are killed going about their daily lives accidentally or on purpose they are not Hero's

I don't know. Maybe you are right, but it's getting so just putting on a Police Officers uniform is an act of bravery.
That's why these two men were killed. Simply for putting on a uniform.

My condolences to their families.

This_person

you want a hero ...

But, they were sitting down to eat lunch as front line soldiers protecting their community. Maybe that moment was not a heroic moment, but the guy who runs into a burning building to save others may have died because he didn't follow the safety rules, or because he tripped on something he couldn't see. Would you say that the guy who tripped wasn't heroic because tripping isn't a heroic act? Of course you wouldn't - because the larger act was being a fireman. In this case, the larger act is being a police officer.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I don't know. Maybe you are right, but it's getting so just putting on a Police Officers uniform is an act of bravery.
That's why these two men were killed. Simply for putting on a uniform.

Indeed it would take a brave person to put on the uniform knowing you might be a target ....
[or one who thinks it will never happen to them]

Police Officer is like the 14th most dangerous JOB in America ....
we don't hear about brave Lumberjacks - they die in greater numbers

Commercial fishing
Airline Pilots
Roofers
Trashmen
Iron Workers
Truck Drivers
Farmers / Ranchers
First-line supervisors of construction trades and extraction workers
Miscellaneous agricultural workers

https://247wallst.com/special-report/2018/01/02/25-most-dangerous-jobs-in-america/

being a Westerner in a Middle Eastern Country gets you killed ....
being a Christian in some African #### hole gets you killed by the Muslims Running the Country or Region or Village ....

My condolences to their families.

:yay:

This_person

we don't hear about brave Lumberjacks - they die in greater numbers

I think that's because being a lumberjack may be a riskier job, but it is not altruistic - that is to say, you are not volunteering to help protect others. Not very many lumberjacks are shot by the trees, you know what I mean?

This_person

you are applying Hero Worship because 'its a dangerous job, they might die for putting on the uniform'

I believe them to be heroes because:
[video=youtube;uqgo26Fo_28]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqgo26Fo_28[/video]

No lumberjack is doing that. They're doing a dangerous job - there's no doubt about that. So is a truck driver and a coal miner. But, being a lumberjack or a truck driver or a coal miner is not altruistic, and you can mitigate with great degree the risks against you. None of the risks against you are actively because the tree or the road or the air has a motive, a desire, a plan to hurt you. A criminal has a desire, a plan, a motive to shoot at police officers. The officer is not able to predict most risks - risks like eating lunch and getting shot seemingly because you are a police officer. That's not a risk that can be mitigated. That's not the type of risk a coal miner faces.

A cop, a Sailor or soldier, a fire fighter - these people are not selling you the product they are building. They are selling you a service. And, what service is that? "I will die for you, to try and save you from harm."

That's pretty heroic to me. And, yet, they all have to take a #### sometime. If they die while taking a ####, they're still heroes even though the act they were doing while dying was not very heroic.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Scary and sad news, my nephew is a Deputy Sheriff in Gainesville and knew them. RIP :(

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
They are selling you a service. And, what service is that? "I will die for you, to try and save you from harm."

I wrote that check to Uncle Sam and served 84 / 88 ...
Serving in the Combat Arms [11 series] I spent 2 1/2 yrs State Side and 11 months in Korea with the DMZ 1km from where I slept every night.

I did my JOB, served, exited with an Honorable Discharge ....
was the job dangerous ... sure
was I a Hero for 'Putting on the Uniform' and doing my JOB, no I don't think so

This_person

Serving in the Combat Arms [11 series] I spent 2 1/2 yrs State Side and 11 months in Korea with the DMZ 1km from where I slept every night.

:notworthy

Thank you for your service, sir. In my opinion, you ARE a hero for doing the service voluntarily. State side, and on the Peninsula.

Hijinx

I never heard of a hero who thought he was one, and I know some heroes.