but we don't trust them to drink or own guns

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
WASHINGTON – Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) said he would consider lowering the legal voting age from 18 to 16.

“I sincerely have not given that any thought. It’s the first time I’ve ever been asked to think about 16-year-old voters, but I do think localities should be able to make that decision,” Booker said during a news conference on Wednesday about the "Help Students Vote Act,” which he has introduced in the Senate.

Following the press conference, PJM told Booker that House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) has said in the past she supports lowering the voting age to 16.

“Oh, she does? I just never thought of it before, so I want to consider it. I mean, my immediate reaction is I’m attracted to the idea but I’d like to consider it,” Booker, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, replied.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/booker-lowering-voting-age-16-want-consider/

Hijinx

Broaden the democrat voting base.

I believe any person serving in the military is old enough to vote, drink beer and own a firearm.
Fact is I have never liked the 21 year old drinking laws.

Funny thing , when I was a kid at Ft. Knox for basic training we were allowed to drink 3.2 beer and we bitched that it wasn't real beer.
Now most people are drinking light beer Bud light, Miller Lite, Yup 3.2.
There is nothing new about light beer except the advertising.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Funny thing , when I was a kid at Ft. Knox for basic training we were allowed to drink 3.2 beer and we bitched that it wasn't real beer.

:yay:

when I go Colorado Springs in 1985 there were a couple of specific clubs off post that only served that swill .....

but, at that time you could get booze at any of the clubs on post .... even when the drinking age changed off post

transporter

I believe any person serving in the military is old enough to vote, drink beer and own a firearm.

You don't like 21? You don't like much do you? Well...other than making a public spectacle of your ignorance.

The estimated percentage of fatally injured passenger vehicle drivers ages 16-17 who had BACs at or above 0.08 percent in 2016 was 12 percent, down 71 percent since 1982. Most of this decline took place in the 1980s.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/teenagers/fatalityfacts/teenagers scroll down to near the bottom...

This_person

You don't like 21? You don't like much do you? Well...other than making a public spectacle of your ignorance.

A whole 12%? Aren't they still drinking illegally, though (16-17 year olds)?

Maybe if we raised it to 90, pretty much everyone would lower!?!!

Wait, if I look at the charts your link has, everyone DID lower. It's almost as if the alcohol age had nothing to do with it.

Of course, it also shows that the worst month for teenage drivers is June. Perhaps we should cancel all driving privileges for teenage drivers in June, and save thousands of lives/year!

Additionally, Fri-Sun driving is statistically FAR worse for teens. No weekend driving, either!!

Here's another thought - freedom is risky, and we could just pick an age that we say is the age of majority, and treat people as adults at that age, and then let personal responsibility work itself out. If 18 is too young to drink, then it is too young for military service, living on your own in college or elsewhere, voting, etc. If you can legally sign on contract for the apartment you live in while attending college partially paid for by your Navy Reserve time, driving the car that you bought on a loan you signed yourself, you should probably be able to go out and vote for your local mayor and have a Jack and Coke when you get back home.

Just a thought. But, it's a cogent one, and backed by reason, so I will anticipate no response (again).

awpitt

Main Streeter

Interesting note. You should try Reds Apple Ale. It's 8%.

Drinking age (in MD) was still eighteen when I was that age. They soon raised it to 21 but I made the cut off for grandfathering.

Hijinx

Drinking age (in MD) was still eighteen when I was that age. They soon raised it to 21 but I made the cut off for grandfathering.

When I was a kid in St. Mary's County we didn't worry about a legal age.
If you could drive to the bar they pretty much served you.

Some didn't of course, but a lot of them did.
Plus Bootleg was around.
Nothing like a pickle jar with a quart of bootleg and filled with orange juice
Pass it around.
Lots less cars on the road then though.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

If you're just looking to jump the alcohol level try a Bock or a Mai Bock. There are some that reach close to 13.

awpitt

Main Streeter
When I was a kid in St. Mary's County we didn't worry about a legal age.
If you could drive to the bar they pretty much served you.

Some didn't of course, but a lot of them did.
Plus Bootleg was around.
Nothing like a pickle jar with a quart of bootleg and filled with orange juice
Pass it around.
Lots less cars on the road then though.

LOL

Great story. Especially, "If you could drive to the bar they pretty much served you."

Those were the days.

PsyOps

Pixelated

I absolutely agree with this. It's amazing our government trusts us enough at 18 to take up a gun and die for our country, but not old enough to privately own firearms or drink. Yet, these same people are going to trust 16 year old children to make such important decisions as voting. I mean, by-and-large they don't even pay taxes and are still dependent on their parents.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Especially, "If you could drive to the bar they pretty much served you."

:lol:

I got a shot of Bourbon @ 14 as a 'home remedy' for a case of car sickness ....
we stopped in a small town in central pa ...
walked in, my uncle told the bar tender what was going on ..
he setup a shot glass, pour a shot [of jack I think] ...
down the hatch ....

[road house looking joint, no tables ... worn wooden floors]

PsyOps

Pixelated

The estimated percentage of fatally injured passenger vehicle drivers ages 16-17 who had BACs at or above 0.08 percent in 2016 was 12 percent, down 71 percent since 1982. Most of this decline took place in the 1980s.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/teenagers/fatalityfacts/teenagers scroll down to near the bottom...

I know this is difficult for you, but jinx was talking about 18 year olds. The clue is "serving in the military is old enough to vote". So, your stats don't apply.

PsyOps

Pixelated
:lol:

I got a shot of Bourbon @ 14 as a 'home remedy' for a case of car sickness ....
we stopped in a small town in central pa ...
walked in, my uncle told the bar tender what was going on ..
he setup a shot glass, pour a shot [of jack I think] ...
down the hatch ....

[road house looking joint, no tables ... worn wooden floors]

I don't remember what age it started, but my parents used to give us hot toddy's when we got sick.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I don't remember what age it started, but my parents used to give us hot toddy's when we got sick.

Indeed ...
I look back and question the sanity of giving a car sick kid a shot of Jack D. :lmao: but I didn't puke

[might have been Jim Beam]

black dog

Free America

I fell into the group in MD that I could drink beer and wine at 18 but I had to go the the district to drink booze at 18. But we could drink whatever we wanted to in my dad's house with him.. I just don't recall any of us that had the stones to ask him for a drink..

I always wondered how long past the middle 80's the beer machines in NSA's lunchroom stayed their.

Toxick

Splat
WASHINGTON – Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) said he would consider lowering the legal voting age from 18 to 16.

Well, Cory Booker has demonstrated repeatedly that he wouldn't be able to find his ass even using both hands.

Election afterparty:

afterparty.jpg

stgislander

PREMO Member
Indeed ...
I look back and question the sanity of giving a car sick kid a shot of Jack D. but I didn't puke

[might have been Jim Beam]

I thought it was George Dickel.

Last edited: