Congress Pursues Clinton for Hiding Fusion GPS Payments

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
As I reported here, the Campaign Legal Center filed a complaint with the Federal Election Commission last year alleging that Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign and the Democratic National Committee violated campaign finance laws by not revealing their payments to Fusion GPS. In an October 25, 2017 filing with the FEC, the watchdog group accused the Hillary for America campaign and DNC of failing to “accurately disclose the purpose and recipient of payments for the dossier…effectively hiding these payments from public scrutiny.” The complaint was filed one day after the Washington Post confirmed that both entities paid Perkins Coie – a politically-connected law firm – to retain Fusion GPS to conduct opposition research on Donald Trump, which resulted in the infamous dossier.

According to the Center, the Clinton campaign and DNC paid Perkins Coie more than $12 million during the 2016 election cycle; all payments were recorded as “legal services.” No payments to Fusion GPS were itemized on disclosure reports by either group. Corey Goldstone, a spokesman for the Campaign Legal Center, told me via email that “normally, a campaign files a report with the FEC listing the people and companies it paid money to and what that money was for. The Clinton campaign and the DNC did not comply with their legal obligation to disclose their payments to Fusion for opposition research. Instead, they concealed the fact that any payments were made to Fusion at all.” Goldstone said the complaint is still pending at the FEC.

But the FEC could not confirm whether an investigation is being conducted: “A provision of federal campaign finance law requires that any Commission action on an enforcement matter be kept strictly confidential until the case is resolved,” FEC spokesman Christian Hilland told me via email this morning. (The commission’s complaint process is explained here.) If any action had been taken, the findings would be posted on the commission’s website; no investigation related to the Center’s complaint is currently listed.

Congress Pursues Clinton for Hiding Fusion GPS Payments

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This is another dog and pony show that will go precisely nowhere. The corrupt aren't going to punish the corrupt. We know they're all in it together and the only thing they care about is getting rid of the guy who's upsetting their applecart.

This_person

This is another dog and pony show that will go precisely nowhere. The corrupt aren't going to punish the corrupt. We know they're all in it together and the only thing they care about is getting rid of the guy who's upsetting their applecart.

Concur, 100%.

The deal with the e-mails was that she didn't write them to herself - there were other people on the other side of those e-mails, sending and receiving that classified information. No one wants to take down ALL of those people, too.
The deal with Benghazi is that first she tried blaming Stevens for not calling her directly about it, after blaming a video. But, a lot of people bought in and went with the stories, going on the Sunday shows and making speeches with the lies intact. No one wants to take down ALL of those people, too.
The deal with using a law firm to hide your payments in a campaign is that essentially all elected officials have similar issues with their own campaigns. They're not going to take down ALL of the people who do this.

I stated it before - the biggest problem with HRC is not that she is a crooked politician. The problem is she is inept at it. We know about so many of her foibles because she is so inept at being corrupt. She personifies and exemplifies what we, the people, believe MOST (if not all) elected and highly appointed government officials to be - she just sucks at it. She's like the ninja you can see - not a very good ninja if you can see the ninja.

Hijinx

Concur, 100%.

The deal with the e-mails was that she didn't write them to herself - there were other people on the other side of those e-mails, sending and receiving that classified information. No one wants to take down ALL of those people, too.
The deal with Benghazi is that first she tried blaming Stevens for not calling her directly about it, after blaming a video. But, a lot of people bought in and went with the stories, going on the Sunday shows and making speeches with the lies intact. No one wants to take down ALL of those people, too.
The deal with using a law firm to hide your payments in a campaign is that essentially all elected officials have similar issues with their own campaigns. They're not going to take down ALL of the people who do this.

I stated it before - the biggest problem with HRC is not that she is a crooked politician. The problem is she is inept at it. We know about so many of her foibles because she is so inept at being corrupt. She personifies and exemplifies what we, the people, believe MOST (if not all) elected and highly appointed government officials to be - she just sucks at it. She's like the ninja you can see - not a very good ninja if you can see the ninja.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I stated it before - the biggest problem with HRC is not that she is a crooked politician. The problem is she is inept at it.

She definitely has a tin ear. Her husband was one of the best corrupt politicians I've ever seen. Of the same caliber as the old time Tammany Hall crooks who could steal you blind and you'd just chuckle and say what a rascal they are. Marion Berry was another one.

Hillary's problem is that she's not likeable and doesn't know how to fake it. Her open contempt for the "little people" shines through in everything she does. She's the Leona Helmsley of politics.

This_person

Hillary's problem is that she's not likeable and doesn't know how to fake it.

I hear she's likable enough....

[video=youtube;K3DeCLPwxXI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3DeCLPwxXI[/video]

After the 2016 campaign, it is so telling to see her little wiggle-wiggle-wiggle after he says it. Now we know that's her "I'm really pissed" wiggle wiggle.