Waffle House Hero

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
"The bathrooms just seemed like a bad idea, actually in the hallway just seemed like a bad idea, like shooting fish in a barrel," he continued. "I was just kind of like, 'He's going to get us or get me anyway,' so I was just waiting for an opportunity, I was just waiting for a chance."

Shaw said he saw his chance to confront the gunman when he momentarily dropped the barrel of the gun.

"When I saw the barrel down, I saw my opportunity and I attacked," said Shaw. "I took it, and it worked out for myself and others that were actually in the Waffle House at the same time."

Asked how he managed to wrestle the gun from the man, who was wearing only a trench coat, Shaw said the door, helped him.

"When I ran through the swivel door, the swivel door acted like another ... hit, another layer, and it pushed the gun down, so the barrel of the gun actually bumped down and it was aimed towards the ground. Once it was aimed towards the ground, I held the gun down I think with my left hand, and I was either punching or hitting or whatever I was doing with my right hand. And then once he released it — at one point in time he had it in one hand. When he had it in one hand, I just took it from him with both my hands and then I threw it over the countertop.

WATCH: Waffle House Hero Describes How He Was Able To Disarm Gunman

Now This Is A Hero ...

stgislander

PREMO Member
You know, this guy decided that if he was going to go down, he was going down fighting. Some of us made fun it the ideas have having a bucket of rocks or small bats to combat an active shooter. In reality, all it might take is a small distraction for the tables to turn on the shooter.

glhs837

Power with Control
You know, this guy decided that if he was going to go down, he was going down fighting. Some of us made fun it the ideas have having a bucket of rocks or small bats to combat an active shooter. In reality, all it might take is a small distraction for the tables to turn on the shooter.

Not this guy, I've always maintained the position that taking the fight to the attacker, sensibly of course, is the best path. Having am inventory of nearby items that can be used as weapons might sound like paranoia, unitl of course, it isnt.......... right outside our office is a line of six foot flagpoles, seven of them, all with basically speartips on the top. Here at the dest, there are a variety of small heavy items, inclduing a couple of survival strobes, a couple of bomb lugs, a 25lb sonobuoy. Best tool to smash out a window to make an escape route? Why the coatrack over in the corner, of course.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Not this guy, I've always maintained the position that taking the fight to the attacker, sensibly of course, is the best path. Having am inventory of nearby items that can be used as weapons might sound like paranoia, unitl of course, it isnt.......... right outside our office is a line of six foot flagpoles, seven of them, all with basically speartips on the top. Here at the dest, there are a variety of small heavy items, inclduing a couple of survival strobes, a couple of bomb lugs, a 25lb sonobuoy. Best tool to smash out a window to make an escape route? Why the coatrack over in the corner, of course.

You've obviously given various response scenarios a lot of thought. ;-) I keep a couple defensive tools close at hand too...don't have to even get out of my desk chair.

glhs837

Power with Control
You've obviously given various response scenarios a lot of thought. ;-) I keep a couple defensive tools close at hand too...don't have to even get out of my desk chair.

Navy taught me to do that. Never had an inflight fire or need to bail out of, or ditch the aircraft in 4,800 hours, but by god I could handle either scenario without even having to engage the brain. Bailout or ditch could be done with a helment bag over my head with no increase in task completion time :) Chance favors the prepared mind and all that. No different really than being mentally ready for whatever crap traffic throws at you.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Nabbed!

The man who cops believe gunned down four people at a Waffle House restaurant in Tennessee was arrested on Monday, just over an hour after cops admitted he led police on a chase in a stolen BMW days before the rampage.
The Nashville Metro Police Department said Travis Reinking, 29, stole a BMW from a dealership in Brentwood on Tuesday and led authorities on a chase before they lost him in heavy rush hour traffic.
Metro Nashville Police spokesman Don Aaron told reporters cops chased the vehicle, but then opted to track the car via a GPS device.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/2...say-stole-bmw-days-before-deadly-rampage.html

BOP

Nabbed!

The man who cops believe gunned down four people at a Waffle House restaurant in Tennessee was arrested on Monday, just over an hour after cops admitted he led police on a chase in a stolen BMW days before the rampage.
The Nashville Metro Police Department said Travis Reinking, 29, stole a BMW from a dealership in Brentwood on Tuesday and led authorities on a chase before they lost him in heavy rush hour traffic.
Metro Nashville Police spokesman Don Aaron told reporters cops chased the vehicle, but then opted to track the car via a GPS device.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/2...say-stole-bmw-days-before-deadly-rampage.html

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-waffle-house-shooting-20180423-story.html
As an aside, how many times can you use "assault rifle" in an article?

Not only that, but Ray Stevens got some 'splaining to do.

In May 2016, Reinking told deputies from Tazewell County, Illinois, that music superstar Taylor Swift was stalking him and hacking his phone, and that his family was also involved, according to a report released Sunday.

Hijinx

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-waffle-house-shooting-20180423-story.html
As an aside, how many times can you use "assault rifle" in an article?

Not only that, but Ray Stevens got some 'splaining to do.

In May 2016, Reinking told deputies from Tazewell County, Illinois, that music superstar Taylor Swift was stalking him and hacking his phone, and that his family was also involved, according to a report released Sunday.

When was the last time you saw a nurse in a white uniform and a school cap? LOL