Why Not Eat Octopus?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Ben Lerner’s new novel, “10:04,” opens with a meditation on a decadent and expensive lunch in Chelsea, prominently featuring baby octopus. The narrator is supposed to be celebrating the six-figure sale of his book, but instead he focusses on the absurdity of the meal: “the impossibly tender things” had been “literally massaged to death.” He wonders about eating “an animal that decorates its lair, has been observed at complicated play.”

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/eating-octopus

Toxick

Splat
Ben Lerner’s new novel, “10:04,” opens with a meditation on a decadent and expensive lunch in Chelsea, prominently featuring baby octopus. The narrator is supposed to be celebrating the six-figure sale of his book, but instead he focusses on the absurdity of the meal: “the impossibly tender things” had been “literally massaged to death.” He wonders about eating “an animal that decorates its lair, has been observed at complicated play.”

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/eating-octopus

The real reason you shouldn't eat it is because it's rubbery af, and the little suckers on it cling to the back of your tongue as you try to force it down your gagging maw.

stgislander

PREMO Member
The real reason you shouldn't eat it is because it's rubbery af, and the little suckers on it cling to the back of your tongue as you try to force it down your gagging maw.

Been there...did that... got the t-shirt. Pretty tasteless I seem to remember.

Toxick

Splat

Pretty bland. Kind of escargot-y. The taste was ok to me. The texture made me want to spit out everything I had eaten over the previous 48 hours into my napkin.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Nothing like chasing the recently severed tentacles across the table with chopsticks after they've just been set in front of you on a flat plate. Captain Choi always took a sick delight in treating me to that when we'd visit his sister and Bro-in-laws beer bar in Ch'ung Mu.

I paid him back by teaching his Chief Engineer "conversational Engrish" ;-)

Nothing like chasing the recently severed tentacles across the table with chopsticks after they've just been set in front of you on a flat plate. Captain Choi always took a sick delight in treating me to that when we'd visit his sister and Bro-in-laws beer bar in Ch'ung Mu.

I paid him back by teaching his Chief Engineer "conversational Engrish" ;-)

Kinda like being "treated" to genuine 100 year old eggs at the Oriental restaurant.

:barf:

littlelady

God bless the USA
You shouldn't talk about your ex-wives like that.

:lmao:

I never tried octopus. I am, actually, leaning more against eating meat at all, and I used to love a good steak. Yogurt, veggies, fruit, salad, etc. has been my deal, lately.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Nothing like chasing the recently severed tentacles across the table with chopsticks after they've just been set in front of you on a flat plate.

Ew. I see those horrid vids of the squid that starts wriggling when they pour whatever on it - barf. I'm not eating that.