Agent Smith got me (bike crash, I'm okay)

glhs837

Power with Control
Leaving out of Gate 3 this afternoon. About 25, maybe, in second gear, seeing the line of stopped cars at the top of the hill, in no rush. WHAM, from the rear, bike flying forward, just as I'm grasping that reality, bike starts going over to the left, I put a foot down and step off and I guess sort of backpedal to slow down, not really sure. Bike slid ahead of me, Didnt notice that, it was stopped by the time I brought myself to a stop. Guy was a bit out of it, got traffic moving around us on the right, took pics and called wife got traffic stopped again, got him to help me move bike over to breakdown lane, got him to move his truck over, called cops.

Shout out to Kevins Towing, he was there in less than 20 minutes to load it up, and SM City, who kept the doors open a bit so Kevin and I could drop it off for a repair estimate. Crash 2.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you're ok.

Do you think the wet road saved your butt a little, less tire friction so it slid instead of grabbing the road?

glhs837

Power with Control
Glad you're ok.

Do you think the wet road saved your butt a little, less tire friction so it slid instead of grabbing the road?

I hadnt thought about that, but I think you are right. I had thought that thats what allowed me to keep myself upright after dismounting, I don't remember anything after taking that first step until I was standing there, it's just a blur. Split second of confusion, putting the foot down, then.....I dunno, I think my brain was so busy trying to keep me upright for anything else to intrude. Then I was standing there, adrenaline pumping, cursing like you might expect a sailor to :)

I think another huge factor is that the luggage system I have acted like a crumple zone, Its pretty stout, and he caved it in pretty good. That kept his bumper from getting between the tire and the bodywork, keeping me from going down right in front of him. Stuffs from Krauser, pretty stout.

Chris0nllyn

This is why I don't have a bike. It's not the rider, it's all the other dumbasses on the road. Glad you're okay.

MiddleGround

Nice to see your cat-like reflexes came in handy!

I am going to go with cell phone distraction. Also, why the Agent Smith reference? Was that the look of the dummy that hit you?

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Damn, glad you're ok. WTF was the guy doing when he hit you? Cellphone?

This is why I don't have a bike. It's not the rider, it's all the other dumbasses on the road. Glad you're okay.

Nice to see your cat-like reflexes came in handy!

I am going to go with cell phone distraction. Also, why the Agent Smith reference? Was that the look of the dummy that hit you?

He seems a bit old to be the cellphone type, but it's possible. He said he was looking ahead up the hill at the traffic stopped 1,000 feet away.

The Agent Smith reference comes from how I always explain the best mindset to appraoch driving or riding. Which is to alway be operating under the assumption that at any moment, any driver around you could turn to seeking your death, similar to how in one of the Matrix movies, what was a normal day went ugly as the Agent Smith program overwrote every person nearby and attacked Neo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb8KZps4woA

I didn't want to hijack the thread, or do a 'one up', but I had a very similar kind of recovery a very long time ago. Had a Honda CB-160, little lightweight bike, lots of fun to ride. Almost at my house, roads were ran slicked. The front tire slid and buckled under, started falling to my left. I put out my left leg and slapped the ground as hard as I could with my foot. Instinct, totally unconscious move to me. The slap snapped the bike upright and I continued in a straight line. All I could think of was... why am I not sprawled all over the road? I was dumbfounded.

glhs837

Power with Control
I didn't want to hijack the thread, or do a 'one up', but I had a very similar kind of recovery a very long time ago. Had a Honda CB-160, little lightweight bike, lots of fun to ride. Almost at my house, roads were ran slicked. The front tire slid and buckled under, started falling to my left. I put out my left leg and slapped the ground as hard as I could with my foot. Instinct, totally unconscious move to me. The slap snapped the bike upright and I continued in a straight line. All I could think of was... why am I not sprawled all over the road? I was dumbfounded.

Not at all. I've gone through it, none of my response was conscious, and I really cant recall any part of it after that first foot plant. Buddy asked me how I could slow from 20ish to a stop after dismounting while not falling facing my direction of travel, and I cant really answer it. I know my legs were doing stuff, but I couldn't reproduce it, backwards dancing high step? And yes, I too was amazed that I was upright.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Shew!...glad you're OK! Doubt I'd have been as nimble responding to a rear hit on my Harley and I don't want to find out either.

And yeah..Kevin's the guy I go to always. :yay:

glhs837

Power with Control
Shew!...glad you're OK! Doubt I'd have been as nimble responding to a rear hit on my Harley and I don't want to find out either.

And yeah..Kevin's the guy I go to always. :yay:

Had you told me I could dismount and stay upright at that speed, I wouldnt beleive it either. Buddy pointed out I was lucky the top box came free, as that most likely would have either cuaght my right leg coming over the bike or swept my left leg out from under me. In either case, I would have probably been okay, with slightly more damage, given the low speed and good helmet, gloves, boots and jacket I wear. Also damn glad I dont have to find out. Pain in the tuckus is that I have previous back issues, as we've all talked about, and now I have to try and parse which pain is new and exciting vs the same old pain. The constant pins and needles in both shins is new, whereas the left one used to just be numb, for instance.

Got a call from Josh at SM City, says the adjuster comes out tomorrow, but already told him that he thinks it's a total. So I'm wondering what comes next.