Teachers lose tax breaks for class expenses

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
SuperGrover said:
this is bullsh!t... maybe teachers should refuse to buy any supplies and see how the school system survives... sorta like the work to rule they did last year where teachers did not (or tried) to work only within the alloted work hours...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/09/16/school.supplies.ap/index.html
First time for everything. I agree.

As someone with a sister who teaches, I know she spends a pretty penny every year on school supplies.

Most people are allowed to deduct out of pocket job expenses. Teachers should be able to as well.

But what can Arnold do? He's got a budget crisis in California that he's working to correct.. :shrug:

ylexot

Super Genius
I agree too. My Mom, sister-in-law, and girlfriend are all teachers. They do spend quite a bit especially when you consider how little they make. It's hard to believe that the difference in taxes would help the budget that much. I'd think they could find another source of funds.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I don't have a problem with it. They don't need half of that crap anyway. I never carried anything home other than a textbook with a sheet of paper shoved in it. I had a pencil or pen at home. They've gone so overboard with school supplies. Just another distraction from basic education.

P.S. Consider the back problems that a lot of students have from carrying all that crap on their backs.

Last edited:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
"What are we going to do, tell the kids, 'Sorry, there's no paper today,' or tell them they can't print because there's no ink?" Seelig asked. "I know I couldn't do it."

That sounds a little weird, that they can run a school, but can't provide the basic tools for the students?

D

dems4me

elaine said:
I don't have a problem with it. They don't need half of that crap anyway. I never carried anything home other than a textbook with a sheet of paper shoved in it. I had a pencil or pen at home. They've gone so overboard with school supplies. Just another distraction from basic education.

P.S. Consider the back problems that a lot of students have from carrying all that crap on their backs.

:yay: and not to mention lugging a band instrument around with everything else. :smile:

Hessian

And the answer is...

Yank the Unions out of schools:

Instead of wasting $$ on a professional lobby that does SO little for the teachers, take the $$ and split it: 1/2 for teachers...and 1/2 for supplies.

Unions also control the Janitorial staff...regulating how often they are "forced" to mop floors or wipe boards. This is outrageous. This is where drunk drivers, cheque forgers and welfare dead beats should put in 4 hours a day after school maintaining our schools and dump the Union do-nothings.

It takes courage to rattle the system...If only some politicians would show some!

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Turd Ferguson said:
I seem to recall supplying my own paper for school.
You're right, so did I and my sister. But what about handouts, ie., study information, tests, quizzes, etc.? No ink cartridges available for the copiers?

Also, if they are that poor, why wouldn't the county or state schoolboard help pay for the required supplies?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Penn said:
You're right, so did I and my sister. But what about handouts, ie., study information, tests, quizzes, etc.? No ink cartridges available for the copiers?

Also, if they are that poor, why wouldn't the county or state schoolboard help pay for the required supplies?
Handouts? We used to copy the assignments off the board on to our paper, rarely were we given handouts. It also helped with the development of penmanship which, in my opinion, is lacking from the recent crop of students.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Ken King said:
Handouts? We used to copy the assignments off the board on to our paper, rarely were we given handouts. It also helped with the development of penmanship which, in my opinion, is lacking from the recent crop of students.
Ken, we got handouts from our HS teachers in NY, and they would contain 3 or 4 paragraphs from an historical figure, ie., Jefferson, Paine, or Roosevelt, and at the bottom of said handout, we were required to write an essay of the thoughts of each of the authors.

Like, what were they saying, and what impact would their messages/ideas have on societies' beliefs and consciousness, etc.

Teachers would also "spring" snap quizzes on us out of the blue, as well.

We didn't copy the info off the chalkboard, they handed them out to us.

BTW, since most households have a PC, or maybe even a PC for each of the kids in the house, penmanship would concievably decrease, as typing skills would rise, don't you think?

Just musing here. :ohwell:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Penn said:
Ken, we got handouts from our HS teachers in NY, and they would contain 3 or 4 paragraphs from an historical figure, ie., Jefferson, Paine, or Roosevelt, and at the bottom of said handout, we were required to write an essay of the thoughts of each of the authors.

Like, what were they saying, and what impact would their messages/ideas have on societies' beliefs and consciousness, etc.

Teachers would also "spring" snap quizzes on us out of the blue, as well.

We didn't copy the info off the chalkboard, they handed them out to us.

BTW, since most households have a PC, or maybe even a PC for each of the kids in the house, penmanship would concievably decrease, as typing skills would rise, don't you think?

Just musing here. :ohwell:
We rarely received handouts; you must have been in an affluent school district. Sure we would get some, but nothing like what they do nowadays where it seems everything is on a handout. For us a snap quiz usually started with, “Now take out a blank sheet of paper”.

And while many households have a PC not all do and typing shouldn’t be a substitute for the basic writing skills, but more of a supplement to them.