Local Waldorf Woman featured in New York Times article about Shutdown

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Local Waldorf woman is featured in this New York Times article about the government shutdown.

Tanisha Keller, a single mother who works for the federal Census Bureau, used to live paycheck to paycheck. Now, she is living nothing to nothing.

Payday would have come this week for Ms. Keller, 42, and many of the 800,000 other federal workers across the country caught up in the partial government shutdown. But as the standoff drags on, no paychecks are arriving to replenish their savings or pay down their maxed-out credit cards.

Ms. Keller’s bank balance has dipped to negative $169. She can no longer afford the $100 stipends she once sent to her son, Daniel, to help out with his college books and groceries. She does not know how she will make next month’s $1,768 rent on her apartment in Waldorf in Southern Maryland, or how she will cover the bills that automatically debit from her checking account, or even how she will gas up the car she has been trying not to drive.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/08/us/paychecks-government-shutdown.html

I know I've been out of the rental market for some time, but $1,768/month for rent on apartment in Waldorf? If you're living paycheck to paycheck, wouldn't it be better to go for a less expensive place, or am I just uninformed?

Hijinx

Local Waldorf woman is featured in this New York Times article about the government shutdown.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/08/us/paychecks-government-shutdown.html

I know I've been out of the rental market for some time, but $1,768/month for rent on apartment in Waldorf? If you're living paycheck to paycheck, wouldn't it be better to go for a less expensive place, or am I just uninformed?

You have a Government job Not minimum wage. You live in a $1768 dollar apartment and have maxed out credit cards.
You are the victim of bad planning on your part.

I feel sorry for these people and certainly she is not the only one. But I bet Tanisha voted for Steny Hoyer and Hillary Clinton
Tanisha should ask Steny to ask Nancy and Chuck to get off their high horse and give Trump his wall.

How many Americans are living above their means with maxed out credit cards.?

transporter

For a nice apt building, that's about right.

Hey Democrats? Fund the wall and let's get the government open again.

Do you even understand how stupid your comment is?

Under every normal circumstance, under the deal this inept and incompetent president agreed to the day before his mind was changed for him the govt would be fully open.

Hell under the deal he agreed to at the end of 2017, before his mind was changed for him that time, Trump had his wall and he govt would be open.

officeguy

Dear Tanesha, may I recommend the following book:
Financial Peace by Dave Ramsey

It's like he knows you and wrote a book just for you !

Do you even understand how stupid your comment is?

Under every normal circumstance, under the deal this inept and incompetent president agreed to the day before his mind was changed for him the govt would be fully open.

Hell under the deal he agreed to at the end of 2017, before his mind was changed for him that time, Trump had his wall and he govt would be open.

This entire shut down can ONLY be placed squarely at the feet of Congress. The President holds NO power to appropriate funds. Any "inept"ness comes from Congress, both D's and R's, since they have both held power during this debacle. I am a registered D but do not think this President is inept nor incompetent. In fact it's rather refreshing to see someone actually stand up to the career politicians that infest our government.

Hijinx

This entire shut down can ONLY be placed squarely at the feet of Congress. The President holds NO power to appropriate funds. Any "inept"ness comes from Congress, both D's and R's, since they have both held power during this debacle. I am a registered D but do not think this President is inept nor incompetent. In fact it's rather refreshing to see someone actually stand up to the career politicians that infest our government.

Amen brother. Simply said. The leadership has been there too long.

That goes for both parties.