Great read about conspiracy theories

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A13059-2004Oct6

American history is rife with conspiracy theories. Extremists have fed rumors of secret plots by Masons, bankers, Catholics and Communists. But now urban legends have become cyberlegends, and suspicions speed their way globally not over months and weeks but within days and hours on the Web...

Conspiracy theories are common after traumatic events. Michael Barkun, a political scientist at Syracuse University who has written books on the culture of conspiracies, said contradictory and inconclusive eyewitness accounts often leave room for different interpretations of events.</NITF>
<NITF>"Conspiracy theories are one way to make sense of what happened and regain a sense of control," Barkun said. "Of course, they're usually wrong, but they're psychologically reassuring. Because what they say is that everything is connected, nothing happens by accident, and that there is some kind of order in the world, even if it's produced by evil forces. I think psychologically, it's in a way consoling to a lot of people"...

Zelikow said. "One reason you tend to doubt conspiracy theories when you've worked in government is because you know government is not nearly competent enough to carry off elaborate theories..."</NITF>

SamSpade

How about a NEW conspiracy theory?

I maintain that the WTC attack is an elaborate hoax - they are, in fact, STILL there, but being hidden from view. Proof? Is there anything in its place, now? That's because they are both still there. And none of the 'dead' were real live people - they took those names from obit columns.

Warron

My conspiracy theory is that those who commit conspiracies promote the publication of conspiracy theories to create apathy among the population. The so-called "boy who cried wolf" syndrome. People hear about conspiracy theories so much that they almost automatically dismiss them. Hence, making it easier for real conspiracies to succeed.

It's just a theory though.