New poll out

SmallTown

Football season!
"A post-election poll indicates most of those surveyed are hopeful the country will be drawn together during President Bush's second term."

I think this will happen. I'm sure people were suprised when I said I was voting for Bush. And I have said I voted for the lesser of two evils, which I still feel is true.
For me (and I know most on here won't agree) one of Bush's biggest foul-ups was/is Iraq. We have already hashed out the reasons why this is the case, no need to go through that again. But I figured 'You made the mess, you clean it up'. I didn't think Kerry was the man to fix it.

There is also the notion of Bush rejecting the UN. Again, my ideas on this topic aren't widely accepted here, but regardless of WMD, UN resolutions, etc, I felt Iraq was a little more personal for Bush thus the reason he went about things the way he did. This is also why I do not feel Bush will behave the same way with N.Korea, Iran, or other country that may pose a threat in the future.

There will still be some domestic issues to take care of as well, and I hope he can focus on them. One that has ALREADY been mentioned but I hope does not go through is the constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. But we shall see

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
Another post-election poll I heard about this morning was a Gallup poll that said that 51% of the voters were happy the way the election turned out.....duh...could it be that same 51% who voted for Bush????

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
SmallTown said:
One that has ALREADY been mentioned but I hope does not go through is the constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. But we shall see
It won't. #1, it won't get past the House and Senate, no matter HOW many Republicans are voting. #2, it won't get past the Supremes because denying people rights because of their sexual orientation is obviously un-Constitutional.

Spoiled

IIRC, in the top 10 'swing states' 65% of the youth voters turned up at the polls :)

I found this: http://www.supercyrus.com/2004.htm

I have no idea if there is any support for the claims or if there is any validity, but funny none the less...

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Relax...

...there may be an attempt at a Constitutional ban on gay marriage but it won't get far. It can't.

1. The states are addressing it so we'll have a hodge podge of 'defense of marriage' acts of various Constitutional acceptance.

2. This will keep the courts busy for far more than 4 years.

3. If passed Federaly by Congress, it will never be ratified by enough states. We had our experience in limiting rights via the Constitution, Prohibition. If this is pushed too hard it will signal the apex of Republican power because;

4. There are more than enough people who agree that the Republic can survive significant other contracts, call them civil unions or whatever.

Pete

Repete
SmallTown said:
"A post-election poll indicates most of those surveyed are hopeful the country will be drawn together during President Bush's second term."

I think this will happen. I'm sure people were suprised when I said I was voting for Bush. And I have said I voted for the lesser of two evils, which I still feel is true.
For me (and I know most on here won't agree) one of Bush's biggest foul-ups was/is Iraq. We have already hashed out the reasons why this is the case, no need to go through that again. But I figured 'You made the mess, you clean it up'. I didn't think Kerry was the man to fix it.

I agree, I never really had the warm fuzzy about going to Iraq but I clearly see why he did it. A rogue nation with a history of developing WMD's and using them, hates us to no end and was beaten in a war and refused to comply with the stipulations of surrender. I do not however think he was wrong for enforcing a regieme change. Since 9/11 I firmly believe we need to be pro-active in thumping them before they thump us.

SmallTown said:
"There is also the notion of Bush rejecting the UN. Again, my ideas on this topic aren't widely accepted here, but regardless of WMD, UN resolutions, etc, I felt Iraq was a little more personal for Bush thus the reason he went about things the way he did. This is also why I do not feel Bush will behave the same way with N.Korea, Iran, or other country that may pose a threat in the future.

I do not think that his reasons were personal. That whole "He tried to kill my daddy so now I am gonna get you" mantra from the McAuliffe wing of the liberal party was so playground. Saddam was bad, he killed hundres of thousands, he invaded and looted a neighbor, he got beat and surrendered, he did not comply with the stipulations of the surrender or the following 16 UN resolutions. North Korea nor Iran have that track record, as far as we know.

SmallTown said:
"There will still be some domestic issues to take care of as well, and I hope he can focus on them. One that has ALREADY been mentioned but I hope does not go through is the constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. But we shall see
Looks like the states will take care of the Gay Marriage issue. 11 out of 11 states voted it down. Sure there will be a few liberal states, Mass, CA, VT that will eventually buckle to a very LOUD vocal minority but that is between then and their constituency. Oregon is a liberal state and even it voted it down. The deal here is that those 11 states ALLOWED their citizens to choose. Mass and CA let a judge do it and that is wrong.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
SmallTown said:

There is also the notion of Bush rejecting the UN. Again, my ideas on this topic aren't widely accepted here, but regardless of WMD, UN resolutions, etc, I felt Iraq was a little more personal for Bush thus the reason he went about things the way he did. This is also why I do not feel Bush will behave the same way with N.Korea, Iran, or other country that may pose a threat in the future.

There will still be some domestic issues to take care of as well, and I hope he can focus on them. One that has ALREADY been mentioned but I hope does not go through is the constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. But we shall see
It doesn't bother me that Bush blew off the UN. It would've been nice to have UN support, but ultimately, we need to do what is right for our country. But where he has really effed up is in not having all his intelligence ducks in a row. He should have had the information solid before taking the action he did.

I'm a moderate, politically speaking. Since I must be registered in one of the two major political parties or else be disenfranchised in the primaries, I registered a democrat. This election has made me seriously question that decision, but with the exception of the highest office, I'm still inclined to be a democrat. I am ashamed that Kerry is the best the party managed to dig up. And God forbid Hillary is next. That might just push me over to the other side. I sincerely hope the Dems get their act together after this mess.