One question leads to another

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
http://discuss.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/zforum/04/style_weingarten110904.htm

Serious question from a token conservative: Gene, I'm posting early and asking you because you took the high road when I asked you about voting for Bush -- I took your advice and feel better about who's in charge every time I read a piece of loser vitriol.
Now, I'm not asking you about reasonable commentary from serious Democrats, even when they wistfully hope in vain for a new bipartisan approach from the administration.

I'm asking a serious question about those libs who are calling evangelical voters "crazy" and "stupid" and so on -- like in Slate, on radio, and including proclaimed atheists like your pal Jon Stewart.

Here's the question: if one doesn't believe in any theology, what is the motivation for espousing policies that purport to feed the hungry, clothe the naked and otherwise support poor people? (Not that these aren't evangelical goals too, but we differ in approach.) "It's the right thing to do" doesn't mean anything when you can't really define "right" vs. "wrong."

Now, I'm not suggesting that these aren't worthwhile goals, but if you don't believe in a heavenly reward for good works (don't take the easy out and refer to Karma), why not be completely non-altruistic and look out only for yourself?

Is it possible that these liberals are using "social" policies as a smokescreen so that they can gather enough power to pursue their real agenda of absolute behavioral libertarianism?

Gene Weingarten: Good Lord, as it were.

You are contending that without a belief in God, it is impossible to believe in doing good? Or even to know how to distinguish good from bad? You are contending, in short, that one needs to fear for one's mortal soul in order to be properly motivated to be an ethical and moral purson? You are suggesting that religious people are really acting out of base self-interest? That religion is nothing more than hypocrisy fed by fear?

I for one, reject that cynical view of religion and the religious, and urge you abandon your wicked, disrespectful notions. You might consult a clergyman.

Heh heh.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
What used to be the mainstream media, what I now call the old media, is predominately liberal by their own admission. By and large, they do not believe in God or anything higher than themselves. They believe that, as did the communists, religion is the opiate of the people and people of faith are less intelligent. Many Democrats and political liberals (must distinguish from true liberal thinkers who really are tolerant) also believe the same way. That is to their detriment and their eventual judgment (this is the Religion forum).

May God open the eyes and ears of all who truly desire to know the Truth.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
There is an author I like a lot in his study of Religion in America.

His name is J. Vernon McGee, and he was a pastor, college professor and broadcast religous programs in the DC area for years before he passed on in the late '80s

Concerning people's willingness to believe in Jesus Christ:

"Here is something interesting: Ignorance, or lack of knowledge is no excuse for not serving the Lord. Some people say they will not serve the Lord if they cannot get all their questions answered.

My friend, there are a lot of things that you won't know.

There are many things that you don't need to know.

Finally, there are things that are none of your business to know.

The important thing is to follow Him!"

To my way of thinking, you can apply these same thoughts, not only in serving the Lord, but also in loving Him, believing in Him and even accepting the truth in what the Bible tells you.

I used to be "hung up" on some passages in the Bible that there were no explanations for, no reasoning given. I was simply told you have to take
it on Faith that there was a purpose for this. JMHO

UrbanPancake

Right=Wrong/Left=Right
2ndAmendment said:
What used to be the mainstream media, what I now call the old media, is predominately liberal by their own admission. By and large, they do not believe in God or anything higher than themselves. They believe that, as did the communists, religion is the opiate of the people and people of faith are less intelligent. Many Democrats and political liberals (must distinguish from true liberal thinkers who really are tolerant) also believe the same way. That is to their detriment and their eventual judgment (this is the Religion forum).

May God open the eyes and ears of all who truly desire to know the Truth.

Yes please God open my eyes, and force me to believe in fairytale bible stories about people walking on water....... what ever.

UrbanPancake

Right=Wrong/Left=Right
Penn said:
There is an author I like a lot in his study of Religion in America.

His name is J. Vernon McGee, and he was a pastor, college professor and broadcast religous programs in the DC area for years before he passed on in the late '80s

Concerning people's willingness to believe in Jesus Christ:

"Here is something interesting: Ignorance, or lack of knowledge is no excuse for not serving the Lord. Some people say they will not serve the Lord if they cannot get all their questions answered.

My friend, there are a lot of things that you won't know.

There are many things that you don't need to know.

Finally, there are things that are none of your business to know.

The important thing is to follow Him!"

To my way of thinking, you can apply these same thoughts, not only in serving the Lord, but also in loving Him, believing in Him and even accepting the truth in what the Bible tells you.

I used to be "hung up" on some passages in the Bible that there were no explanations for, no reasoning given. I was simply told you have to take
it on Faith that there was a purpose for this. JMHO

But he doesn't exist...... so that would make the follower ignorant. :whistle:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
UrbanPancake said:
But he doesn't exist...... so that would make the follower ignorant. :whistle:
Well, I have to let you on to a little known fact, at least as far as you're concerned:

There are millions of people who do not know that YOU exist. Does that make you an ignorant person?

Well, OF COURSE it does! :lmao:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
UrbanPancake said:
Yes please God open my eyes, and force me to believe in fairytale bible stories about people walking on water....... what ever.
Urban, don't insult other people's religious beliefs. While I disagree with 2nd and Penn regarding the absolute truth of the Bible, I respect the sincerity of their beliefs. I view religious faith as a very personal thing. As I wrote in another thread, I would never try to convince someone to change their faith. What makes you believe that everyone has to hold the same religious beliefs as you? I really hate that attitude, whether it comes from Christianity or atheism or Redskins-versus-Cowboys or Earnhardt-versus-Gordon-versus-Stewart.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Tonio said:
Urban, don't insult other people's religious beliefs. While I disagree with 2nd and Penn regarding the absolute truth of the Bible, I respect the sincerity of their beliefs. I view religious faith as a very personal thing. As I wrote in another thread, I would never try to convince someone to change their faith. What makes you believe that everyone has to hold the same religious beliefs as you? I really hate that attitude, whether it comes from Christianity or atheism or Redskins-versus-Cowboys or Earnhardt-versus-Gordon-versus-Stewart.
Well said, Tonio ! I'm gonna have to see if I still have some green stashed away here!

Oops! Just checked, I have to reload, so I'll hit ya tomorrow!