Recommend a Martial Arts Place

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Can anyone recommend a martial arts place in the Lexington Park area? I am looking for something that I can do as a beginner without being the only adult in a room full of kids. I would also like the instructor to speak pretty good english b/c I have a real hard time understanding accents. I will go as far as Hollywood but not to Calvert. Also, it would be nice not to have to sign for a year or so in case I don't like it. Any suggestions?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I think I saw a place that opened up in Wildewood shopping center, but am not sure the name.

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
There are karate classes at Spring Ridge Middle School on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:00 - 7:30 pm. The instructor does it in his spare time for non-profit. Therefore, you don't have to make a monthly payment....you pretty much just have to pay for your testing fees. You are not required to test. There are many adults there. Since there are no class fees, you can try it out and see if you like it...no pressure, no loss. Beginners are welcome...I believe all ranks are welcome.

If you want to attend the next class...feel free to show up. I know the instructor always welcomes new students. Spring Ridge Middle School is off of 235...it is about a mile south of the third gate....on the left hand side.

Here is the website: http://www.radix.net/~crusher/index.html

If you want more details, let me know... or I can send you the instructor's email addy.

p.s. The instructor is American...so no accent there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you are interested in a more formal class, there is a Tae Kwon Do facility in the Wildewood shoping center. I believe it costs somewhere between $40- $80 a month for lessons (plus testing fees and such). The main instructor is of Korean descent I believe...I'm not sure if he has a heavy accent.... I have a friend who teaches there...and I can find out more info if you need.

Last edited:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
If you have access to Patuxent River Naval Air Station, there is a karate class on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6 PM to 7:30PM.

I am a Renshi (teacher of teachers) Go Dan (5th degree black belt) and help teach. The Sensei (teacher) is a 7th degree black belt. Our dojo (school) is the oldest continuously operated dojo in the United States. We teach a very effective style, Okinawan Shorin-ryu Matsumura Orthodox and also Hakutsuru for advanced students. Classes are normally small and mostly adult. Often, you will get individual instruction from the sensei or one of the senior belts like me. It is an easy style for adults, since being able to have the flexibility of a gymnast is not required. The style adapts to any body style and age. It is the style that was taught and used by the body guards of the Okinawan emperor. It is one of the most effective and forgiving (for you - not the opponent) styles.

It is run as a club so there are monthly dues of twenty dollars.

Once or twice a year, Sensei Chuck Chandler (8th degree) comes in to teach a seminar for a weekend. Chuck goes back to Okinawa periodically to get instruction from the Grand Master, Hanshi Takaya Yabiku.

There is a national organization, Konanryu Kohokan Karate Kobudo Hakutsuru Kyokai Association The web site is http://www.kohokan.com

Last edited:

bluecrab

Southern Maryland Karate is located in Hollywood on Airport View Drive (in the Industrial Park). The owners are American (can't vouch that they speak good english, but thier native language would be english). There are adults in almost all of the classes and they may even have classes that are only for adults. They are in the phone book.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Yes I called them. They are very expensive and only have it for an hour on Tues and Thursdays. For 100.00 a month I expect a little more. I heard of a place on base I might try.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Looked for you on Tuesday, but no new faces. By the way, you are welcome to come work with us without any payment for a month or so. If you really want to learn, you will.

Martial arts, any of them, done right, are boring. It is practice, practice, practice, over and over until it becomes your natural reaction.

We can teach anyone a few parlor tricks to get you out of a bind, but if you can't follow through, you'll just be back in trouble again. But on some people, one technique is enough. We had one guy that had been to class just long enough to learn how to do one block. Some guy picked a fight with him in Duke's Bar (now closed). All he knew to do was block. The other guy threw two or three round house punches and he blocked them. I guess the other guy figured if he could block the best he had, he better make friends. So he stopped and asked if he could buy him a beer. Not like BK, this IS a true story.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by 2ndAmendment
Not like BK, this IS a true story.

And not a long, drawn-out, boring story, either. :razz:

It must be "Pick on BK" day - that's what he gets for being absent without prior approval. :razz2:

tater

Originally posted by 2ndAmendment
I am a Renshi (teacher of teachers) Go Dan (5th degree black belt) and help teach.

Not to mention crazy arsenal he has. Like the couple from "Tremors". This guy skeers me. My only hope, if I ever tick him off, is that I can run faster scared than he can mad. :eek:
:roflmao:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by tater

My only hope, if I ever tick him off, is that I can run faster scared than he can mad.
Don't run...you'll only die tired. :cool:

Hey, they laughed at Bert too--until they needed him. :wink:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Originally posted by tater

My only hope, if I ever tick him off, is that I can run faster scared than he can mad. :eek:
:roflmao:

Don't run. You'll just die tired.:razz2: Just kidding.

When you are prepared or anything, nothing surprises you.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
See, we think so much alike, we even use the same lines indepentently. WOW.

I can spell that backwards, WOW, and upside down, MOM.

tater

Geeez...

The same response from both of you. You'd think you lived together or were married or something :rolleyes: :lmao:

VinceD

If you have access to Patuxent River Naval Air Station, there is a karate class on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6 PM to 7:30PM.

I would be interested in taking this class. What building is it located in? Would it be the one on the side of the gym?

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Vince

I would be interested in taking this class. What building is it located in? Would it be the one on the side of the gym?
It is the square building at the rear of the drill hall across from the last ball field.