Thomas Johnson Bridge (Solomons) Problem

Lanes2

Hello,

I wanted to share this story with everyone who routinely drives over the Rt. 4 bridge to Solomons...

On Thanksgiving Day, my husband and I were driving northbound (toward Solomons) on the Thomas Johnson Memorial Bridge. Toward the top of the bridge, we heard a metallic 'clunk' under the car, and looked back to see what we had hit, but but did not see any debris on the road.

We made it to our destination, but discovered that the left rear tire of the car was almost completely flat. The AAA-affiliated mechanic who changed my tire said that there was a piece of metal in it that looked like one of the 'teeth' from one of the grates on the bridge. This was said before I told this man where my tire went flat.

Luckily, Toyota was able to repair my tire, and I did not need to completely replace it.

However, we drove back over the bridge the next day to scope out the area in question. Sure enough, on one of the metal grates, there are two metal prongs sticking up, and if a car were to hit it just right, a flat tire would result. The prongs are not something you would notice while cruising along, but they are very visible if you are looking for them.

I called 6 different divisons of the state highway administration yesterday and they assured me that the unit in Prince Frederick would "get right on it" and check it out. But of course, as of this morning, the prongs were still there.

I am not sure if anyone else has had flat tires as a result, but I wanted to share this with as many people as possible, so that they can avoid the inconvenience of a flat.

If you want to know how to avoid these metal 'spikes'...once you get toward the top crest of the bridge (northbound), hug the white shoulder line with your car, as the metal prongs are more toward the center (yellow) line.

Thank you!

K

Kain99

Crap and I have to cross it in just a few minutes. Thanks for the info

Danzig

I’ve been watching that show on discovery about disasters (bridges, buildings, dams, etc.) and every time it comes on I think of that bridge and the “clamps” that hold the concrete for crumbling away and wonder how long till it either falls down or gets shut down for a year to fix it.

flowerchild

Hairy Harry
Lanes2 said:
Hello,

I wanted to share this story with everyone who routinely drives over the Rt. 4 bridge to Solomons...

On Thanksgiving Day, my husband and I were driving northbound (toward Solomons) on the Thomas Johnson Memorial Bridge. Toward the top of the bridge, we heard a metallic 'clunk' under the car, and looked back to see what we had hit, but but did not see any debris on the road.

We made it to our destination, but discovered that the left rear tire of the car was almost completely flat. The AAA-affiliated mechanic who changed my tire said that there was a piece of metal in it that looked like one of the 'teeth' from one of the grates on the bridge. This was said before I told this man where my tire went flat.

Luckily, Toyota was able to repair my tire, and I did not need to completely replace it.

However, we drove back over the bridge the next day to scope out the area in question. Sure enough, on one of the metal grates, there are two metal prongs sticking up, and if a car were to hit it just right, a flat tire would result. The prongs are not something you would notice while cruising along, but they are very visible if you are looking for them.

I called 6 different divisons of the state highway administration yesterday and they assured me that the unit in Prince Frederick would "get right on it" and check it out. But of course, as of this morning, the prongs were still there.

I am not sure if anyone else has had flat tires as a result, but I wanted to share this with as many people as possible, so that they can avoid the inconvenience of a flat.

If you want to know how to avoid these metal 'spikes'...once you get toward the top crest of the bridge (northbound), hug the white shoulder line with your car, as the metal prongs are more toward the center (yellow) line.

Thank you!

FYI...A year or so ago there was a huge drop off the side of Chancellor's Run Rd. and my tire went off it and was ruined. My husband called the SHA and they paid almost $1000.00 for the repairs!

espyn

flowerchild said:
FYI...A year or so ago there was a huge drop off the side of Chancellor's Run Rd. and my tire went off it and was ruined. My husband called the SHA and they paid almost $1000.00 for the repairs!
You got paid $1,000 b/c you couldn't drive on the road:yikes:

Tomcat

Anytime
Wasn't there an accident on the Town Creek side of the bridge this summer from something similiar? :confused:

Jameo

What?!
Tomcat said:
Wasn't there an accident on the Town Creek side of the bridge this summer from something similiar? :confused:

There was a brace that had come loose causing flat tires. Don't think it caused any accidents though.

Christy

b*tch rocket
janey83 said:
:shocking: wow, I'm scared to cross over Solomon's now...
Don't get yourself so worked up Janey, if you build up some decent speed, you can jump that missing section easy peasy. :shrug: :wink:

Danzig

Drive under it where the boat ramp is and look up at the "clamps" that hold it together and then tell me what you think.

Elle

Happy Camper!
SoMDGuy1980 said:
I cross over that bridge twice every day; it's perfectly safe :yay:
I better call and check on hubby's life insurance. May be headed back to Disney sooner than I was planning :whistle:

Jameo

What?!
Danzig said:
Drive under it where the boat ramp is and look up at the "clamps" that hold it together and then tell me what you think.

Trying living under the damn thing :twitch: I often thought about calling my insurance company and asking them if the bridges falls on my house, is it covered? :confused: :lmao:

S

SoMDGuy1980

Danzig said:
Eh, the 100 mph drivers on Rt. 4 are more likely to get ya than the bridge.