-38°

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Yes, NEGATIVE. 38. Degrees. In Butte, Montana this am.

A foot of snow yesterday.

Cars won't start so they can get to work. THEY STILL GO TO WORK WHEN ITS -38°!

The poor dogs have to go wee out in it.

No. Nonononono.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
:lol: SoMD News Net has an article about the terrible cold temps we're supposed to have, and how to prepare for it. My first thought was these northern places thinking this is a heat wave.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Yes, NEGATIVE. 38. Degrees. In Butte, Montana this am.

A foot of snow yesterday.

Cars won't start so they can get to work. THEY STILL GO TO WORK WHEN ITS -38°!

The poor dogs have to go wee out in it.

No. Nonononono.
1671733987494.jpeg

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Used to go tent camping during the winter in my younger days in New England.
In February 1982, which was our Explorer Post's winter survival test weekend,
it seemed real cold, as there was skim ice Sunday morning on the buckets near the campfire
we had going continuously in front of the base camp shelter.
When we checked the weather history, it had hit -70F Saturday night with the wind chill.
All our kids (I was an adult leader) had built their shelters real well and while a little chilly, no hypothermia.

PJay

No snow here but colder than we're use to. My Mini Doxie hates being cold. Flies in and out these days to do her business.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I fully understand the Northern Teir getting dangerously cold.

BUT, how often are our weather humans 100% correct? And, we survived the ice blast 93-94....so, go ahead, get that 40 gallons of milk and 35 rolls of TP....Yup.
Unfortunately, I do have to go to the market tomorrow. I've been too sick to get out earlier this week.

• Sad
Reactions: rio

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
A lot of super cold places have block heaters for the vehicle engines.
Yes, and they had them plugged in. DIL's car was in the garage, it started after a couple tries. Son and gson's trucks took a little longer.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Ummmmm. Isn't this also known as ...... winter weather? I recall an elderly person telling me one time that there were times the Potomac River would freeze shore to shore north of the Woodrow Wilson bridge. So much so that one could walk from Virginia to Maryland on that iced up river. Nothing new to see here. This is one of laughable aspects of "instant" information nowadays. Every little thing, weather wise, (and other subjects as well), is reported as new and unprecedented, or given new names to sound scary, when, these things have happened in the past many times over, and, often times far worse than what we are seeing today.

All is normal.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
it seemed real cold, as there was skim ice Sunday morning on the buckets near the campfire
When we checked the weather history, it had hit -70F Saturday night with the wind chill.
All our kids (I was an adult leader) had built their shelters real well and while a little chilly, no hypothermia.
Done my fair share of winter camping too. One weekend in NY all the eggs froze solid, and it was a week before we could return and get the metal stakes out of the ground.

Did some ski-camping in VT, temps got down to -15F actual. No idea what the chill was. It's all fine if you are prepared for it.

mitzi

For your consideration ...

Ummmmm. Isn't this also known as ...... winter weather? I recall an elderly person telling me one time that there were times the Potomac River would freeze shore to shore north of the Woodrow Wilson bridge. So much so that one could walk from Virginia to Maryland on that iced up river. Nothing new to see here. This is one of laughable aspects of "instant" information nowadays. Every little thing, weather wise, (and other subjects as well), is reported as new and unprecedented, or given new names to sound scary, when, these things have happened in the past many times over, and, often times far worse than what we are seeing today.

All is normal.

I have to agree with you on this one.

NextJen

Raisin cane
Coastal flood advisory in effect Midnight tonight until 4:00am Friday - shoreline in Charles and King George counties.

glhs837

Power with Control
A lot of super cold places have block heaters for the vehicle engines.

Jeeps Cold Weather Package comes with one. Only used it once a few winters back when it hit these low teen temps. The Jeep will start just fine at those temps, but it is nicer for the engine to start with warmer oil.

Worst I ever felt was -85 during my graduation weekend, December 1983, Great Lakes RTC. Recruits were in two pairs of socks, thermal underwear, two pairs of dungarees, tee shirt, sweater, peacoat, watchcap, small towel across face, raincoat on top of all that. Gloves on, hands required to be in pockets. Since we had graduated, we were required to stay in dress blues, and warned to minimize our exposure :)