Fruit Flies!!!!

Triggerfish

How do you get rid of fruit flies in the home? We left some table scraps in the kitchen for the compost pile and it attracted fruit flies. Now we can't seem to get rid of them. I know one option is buying a trap but who sells them in the Lexington park area? Lowes?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
The best way I've found to get rid of them is to put a little wine in a wine glass and let it set over nite, maybe more, depending on how many fruit flies you have. They dive right in!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
elaine said:
The best way I've found to get rid of them is to put a little wine in a wine glass and let it set over nite, maybe more, depending on how many fruit flies you have. They dive right in!
:yeahthat: I've found they're also attracted to soapy water. I use lemon Joy, but I'm sure other fruity brands would work.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
jazz lady said:
:yeahthat: I've found they're also attracted to soapy water. I use lemon Joy, but I'm sure other fruity brands would work.

Ooh! That reminds me. I wanna' pick up a bottle of the Grapefruit scented Joy dish soap.

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
elaine said:
Trus tme this works- those little $hits are floating in my darn glass EVERY NIGHT!!!
(Not that I drink wine every night... :whistle: )

BuddyLee

Football addict
elaine said:
:yeahthat: or straight vinegar.

Pete

Repete
You could invite dems over to do a propane torch. It doesn't kill them it just burns off their wings. That really pisses them off because now they have to walk everywhere they want to go.

K

Kizzy

I never saw fruitflies until I was sitting in somebody elses office at work. I asked somebody, what in the world are these little nats flying around, then I was informed that they were fruitflies.

SamSpade

Fruit flies can be persistent pests, as they can 'hibernate' over long periods when food is scarce. Many times, you will think you have eliminated the infestation by keeping the house clean, but they're merely holed up somewhere biding their time.

The wine/vinegar thing sounds like a good idea. I never tried it.

girliegirl

Triggerfish said:
How do you get rid of fruit flies in the home? We left some table scraps in the kitchen for the compost pile and it attracted fruit flies. Now we can't seem to get rid of them. I know one option is buying a trap but who sells them in the Lexington park area? Lowes?
I have always used a glass bowl filled half way with apple cider vinegar, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, secure with a rubber band around the rim, and then cut a slit with a sharp knife in the middle of the plastic wrap. They go in through the slit, never to return to the outside world...has worked wonders for me. :dance:

Triggerfish

girliegirl said:
I have always used a glass bowl filled half way with apple cider vinegar, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, secure with a rubber band around the rim, and then cut a slit with a sharp knife in the middle of the plastic wrap. They go in through the slit, never to return to the outside world...has worked wonders for me. :dance:

That one sounds like it may work best.