Queen will rock you with first tour in 18 years

Danzig

LONDON (Reuters) - British rock band Queen is preparing for its first tour in 18 years, but fans are already complaining that the show can't go on without flamboyant frontman Freddie Mercury.

Mercury died of AIDS in 1991, and there are also doubts over whether bass guitarist John Deacon will join the ageing rockers in Europe next spring.

The 2005 tour will be the first time the hugely successful group has played since it performed with Mercury in front of more than 100,000 fans at Knebworth in England in 1986. Paul Rodgers -- vocalist on Free's 1970 classic "All Right Now" -- takes Mercury's place alongside guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor. Deacon has been invited to play, but has yet to make up his mind.

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=640326&section=news&src=rss/uk/topNews

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
This thing called love I just can't handle it
this thing called love I must get round to it
I ain't ready
Crazy little thing called love
This (This Thing) called love
(Called Love)
It cries (Like a baby)
In a cradle all night
It swings (Woo Woo)
It jives (Woo Woo)
It shakes all over like a jelly fish,
I kinda like it

There goes my baby
She knows how to Rock n' roll
She drives me crazy
She gives me hot and cold fever
Then she leaves me in a cool cool sweat

I gotta be cool relax, get hip
Get on my track's
Take a back seat, hitch-hike
And take a long ride on my motor bike
Until I'm ready

I gotta be cool relax, get hip
Get on my track's
Take a back seat, hitch-hike
And take a long ride on my motor bike
Until I'm ready (Ready Freddie)

This thing called love I just can't handle it
this thing called love I must get round to it
I ain't ready

:yay:

Agee

It's hard to dispute the fans on "no Freddy". His flair and vocal range help to put Queens stamp on the music world.

Look at bands like Little Feet, Lynard Skinard, Van Halen, never the same once the original lead singer was gone.

But if you're a hard core Queen Fan, P. Rodgers as a fill-in would be an after thought to get another blast of Queen music on the stage.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Airgasm said:
Van Halen
I'm mentally removing them from your list - I thought Sammy Hagar brought something to the mix that Van Halen was lacking with DLR.

If you're premo, you can see my rude Freddie Mercury joke in the Private forum. :dance:

BuddyLee

Football addict
:dude: Guess what I have in my player now?

I think Mercury had one of the best voices in rock & roll.:yay:

Hard to top him.

Llwynog

Thats Welsh for fox.
I became a Queen fan shortly after Freddy died. It was such a bummer because I found that I had been lisening their music for years. It just took me so long to realize all these songs were by one band.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Airgasm said:
It's hard to dispute the fans on "no Freddy". His flair and vocal range help to put Queens stamp on the music world.
Agreed. Queen had a sound and style like no other. That was due to both Mercury and guitarist Brian May. Although I think they lost their way somewhat in the '80s.

Agee

vraiblonde said:
I'm mentally removing them from your list - I thought Sammy Hagar brought something to the mix that Van Halen was lacking with DLR.

If you're premo, you can see my rude Freddie Mercury joke in the Private forum. :dance:
Agreed, Sammy brought a different edge to Van Halen. But, IMO hardcore fans identify with orginal members (especially lead singers) and are reluctant to accept replacements.

"Royal Flush beats two Queens" :killingme

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Airgasm said:
Agreed, Sammy brought a different edge to Van Halen. But, IMO hardcore fans identify with orginal members (especially lead singers) and are reluctant to accept replacements.
VH with Roth was more of a heavy-metal band, although Eddie always denied it. Roth had tons of anger and attitude, which he said stemmed from dealing with anti-Semitic idiots in school.

(Aside: I believe anger and attitude are essential elements in metal. You don't have to grow up in England's industrial midlands and face the possibility of working in the mills for the rest of your life, but it helps. That's why I never liked the L.A. glam metal bands in the '80s--most of these guys were just spoiled suburban kids.)

Anyway, when Hagar came in, VH became more of a rock 'n' roll band. That wasn't necessarily a bad thing. I think it's a matter of personal taste between Roth VH and Hagar VH. Sammy brought his own attitude to the band, sort of a post-hippie philosophy. That attitude was obvious in his pre-VH solo stuff like "Red" and "Three Lock Box" and "One Way to Rock."