Volunteers Search for Missing Boy in Pa.

A group of searchers looked in the woods for a missing autistic 9-year-old boy Monday morning and officials appealed to area residents to search their properties.

On Sunday, hundreds of volunteers looked for Logan Mitcheltree, but the search was halted temporarily for safety reasons after night fell and temperatures plunged into the single digits, said John West, the deputy chief of the South Williamsport Fire Department.

Mitcheltree, who is unable to speak, was last seen around 5 p.m. Saturday wearing a long-sleeved gray shirt, blue jeans and brown slippers. The boy's siblings told officials that he was watching television with them before they noticed he was missing, West said.

Officials said they hoped the boy had found a warm place for the night, and urged area residents to look under their cars, in sheds and on their properties.

"There's a possibility, there's always hope," West said. "Maybe somebody picked him up and he's with somebody who doesn't know he's lost yet."

Mitcheltree lives on the edge of the borough and next to the woods, West said.

Attachments

• 1_21_mitcheltree_logan.jpg
    1_21_mitcheltree_logan.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 253
:bawl: A state forester discovered a boy's body about a mile-and-a-half from the home of a 9-year-old who disappeared Saturday, a state Bureau of Forestry manager said Tuesday. :bawl:

The body was found on a leaf-covered forest road, said state Bureau of Forestry manager Jeffrey S. Prowant.

"It's fairly certain that it is confirmed that is Logan," he told The Associated Press.

Extremely cold temperatures left officials hoping that Logan might have found shelter in a storm drain, shed or some other safe hiding place.

Beginning Saturday, searchers with dogs or in small, fixed-wing planes and helicopters combed a three square-mile area of the town, woods, and mountains in the area, which is about 65 miles north of Harrisburg.

Searchers coming and going from a fire hall being used as a command post were determined to find the boy, despite having spent long hours in temperatures so cold that some volunteers encountered breathing difficulties.

D

Dixie

I was so hoping this would be the Christmas miracle story. My son has autism spectrum disorder among other obstacles. He is such a mystery to me at times that I cannot imagine how life must be for a parent of a child with autism vice just the spectrum. Regardless, I'm going home tonight and hug my little monster and realize how lucky I am that he's still here to hug. May God bless that poor baby and his family.

D

dems4me

Dixie said:
I was so hoping this would be the Christmas miracle story. My son has autism spectrum disorder among other obstacles. He is such a mystery to me at times that I cannot imagine how life must be for a parent of a child with autism vice just the spectrum. Regardless, I'm going home tonight and hug my little monster and realize how lucky I am that he's still here to hug. May God bless that poor baby and his family.

:yeahthat: :huggy:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Dixie said:

:yeahthat:

'nuff said.