4 High school student athletes beat up coach

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Malcolm X Shabazz high school in Cory Booker's adopted home town. The school colors are black & gold. They should change them to black & blue. A school of less than 400 students. Some info on the school:
Academics
Percent Proficient - Reading

This is the percentage of students that scored at or above proficiency levels on their state reading/language arts assessment test. Because states implement these tests differently, use caution when comparing this data to data from another state.
14%
Percent Proficient - Math

This is the percentage of students that scored at or above proficiency levels on their state math assessment test. Because states implement these tests differently, use caution when comparing this data to data from another state.
1%

Free or Reduced Lunch 68%
Students 395

Student Diversity

• African American
    90.9%

• Hispanic
    7.6%

• White
    1.3%

Newark police are investigating the violent attack of a school employee and junior varsity basketball coach who was beaten by members of the Shabazz High School boys basketball team after a game Tuesday night A video of the incident, obtained by NJ Advance Media, shows at least four players knocking the coach to the ground while punching and kicking him repeatedly outside the school. The attack lasts about 25 seconds.

go bulldogs

limblips

PREMO Member
They have a 61% grad rate. How does that happen when the entire student body is sub par? Also, how can they have a basketball team when nobody is possibly academically eligible?

There was a time when the school was quite successful. Ed Koch graduated in 1941. The wiki list of distinguished alum is mostly football and basketball players so apparently sports are emphasized over academics.

Hijinx

You have to be incredibly stupid to attack an adult that you have to go to class to every day.

BernieP

Resident PIA
They have a 61% grad rate. How does that happen when the entire student body is sub par? Also, how can they have a basketball team when nobody is possibly academically eligible?

There was a time when the school was quite successful. Ed Koch graduated in 1941. The wiki list of distinguished alum is mostly football and basketball players so apparently sports are emphasized over academics.
You have to be incredibly stupid to attack an adult that you have to go to class to every day.
Chances are these fine boys have a tutor (more like a toot'er) that helps them achieve the grades needed to play.
Likely they are aware of when games are played so as to diminish the impact of the supsention on the athletic season.
In school suspension which might not make it to their permanent record and they will be playing in the next game.

if anyone want to see how far a school will go, watch the documentary on Aaron Hernandez.
That dude should never had made it to college or the NFL, he should have been in jail, long before he finished high school

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Chances are these fine boys have a tutor (more like a toot'er) that helps them achieve the grades needed to play.
Likely they are aware of when games are played so as to diminish the impact of the supsention on the athletic season.
In school suspension which might not make it to their permanent record and they will be playing in the next game.

if anyone want to see how far a school will go, watch the documentary on Aaron Hernandez.
That dude should never had made it to college or the NFL, he should have been in jail, long before he finished high school
Any more, the more aggressive the player, the more likely they are to succeed and progress in the sport. That's just another reason not to watch. I was jumped from behind by multiple individuals when in school, but I sprung up like this coach. Pack mentality and all that.

Funny you should mention Aaron Hernandez . I worked with a guy at HP that was awarded some kind of performance points for actions above and beyond or some such. Anyway, he was able to apply those points some program HP had for their employees and he choose a plaque of AH as MVP or something right after the SHTF for Hernandez . Everyone in the office was like, WTF dude? The guy was pure genius. The things gonna be worth $$ to someone some day. If not, at least he'll have a good conversation starter.

officeguy

When Ed Koch attended the school, Newark was a thriving industrial city. I am pretty sure it wasn't called 'Malvolm X Shabazz HS' at the time either.

Now Newark is a s-hole.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Any more, the more aggressive the player, the more likely they are to succeed and progress in the sport. That's just another reason not to watch. I was jumped from behind by multiple individuals when in school, but I sprung up like this coach. Pack mentality and all that.

Funny you should mention Aaron Hernandez . I worked with a guy at HP that was awarded some kind of performance points for actions above and beyond or some such. Anyway, he was able to apply those points some program HP had for their employees and he choose a plaque of AH as MVP or something right after the SHTF for Hernandez . Everyone in the office was like, WTF dude? The guy was pure genius. The things gonna be worth $$ to someone some day. If not, at least he'll have a good conversation starter.
I think you missed my point, Hernandez may have been responsible for a couple of other murders before he got to the NFL.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I think you missed my point, Hernandez may have been responsible for a couple of other murders before he got to the NFL.
We all knew he was a POS, my coworker meant to cash in on his notoriety. Sorry if my point was muddled.:buddies:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Actually, he was a sick MotherF'er. Urban Meyer and all those coaches that helped to get him back in the game and out of jail are the POS.
In college the coaches tried to have Tim Tebow guide Aaron around. When St. Timothy can't help you, you know you are a lost cause.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Actually, he was a sick MotherF'er. Urban Meyer and all those coaches that helped to get him back in the game and out of jail are the POS.
I'm sorry, don't know his full history. I was never one to follow the news surrounding athletes. If it came on the TV, I ignored it. I quit watching the NFL when Terrell Suggs took a knee. I think that was the most disrespectful display in the Ravens history. I only really followed the NFL because wifey was a fan. She thought highly of his abilities and the plays he made. I would rather spend my Sunday PM doing something more productive and beneficial, like driving 16 penny nails into my foot. But, you do some strange things for love. I was a passive fan. As far as I'm concerned, the NFL is :dead:.