Picked up 4 out of 7 about a mile north of buoy 65

Attachments

• image-3961974915.jpg
    image-3961974915.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

Caution

Picked up 4 out of 7 about a mile north of buoy 65

Went in today at sunrise at Point Lookout and planned to head across the bay to the Target Ship. Water was a bit rough for our little 23' and we kept seeing large numbers of fish on the bottom so as the wind was out of the SW we decided to hang close to this side of the Bay. Went down to Smith Point and kept seeing bird action ahead of us but by the time we could get to them they were somewhere else.

Turned around just north of the Lighthouse and headed out to deeper water and slowly worked our way northward. Plenty of fish on the scope but everything was hugging the bottom and we, like dummies left the jigging rods at the house.

About 11:30 we finally started noticing fish coming up from the bottom and some bird activity within range. We scooted their way and we then started seeing fish around 25' deep and also on the bottom with large bait masses in between. Then 2 lines go down at once. Got a decent 32" in the boat and the other got off just as we got the net under him.

Got a bit further north and it was obvious the fish were behind us so we circled around and did a north/south run. Nadda. Went through them but no bites till we circled around and came at them from the south again. Got 2 more on. 1 keeper and one undersized. Circled around and again nothing on the north/South run. Circled and once again. Caught one keeper and one undersized.

That was our limit and we packed it in and headed for the ramp. Once it was ON, it was ON. We knew we were on to something when we saw them come off that bottom and I am glad we hung around.

Caution

These are the only two rigs we caught fish on all day out of 15 poles in the water.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 118

Caution

Back at the same spot right now. Fish on the bottom at 60' and a layer at 30' with some bait showing.

Don't expect them to turn on till tide change.

Water is calm. Sky cloudy. And just got a fog advisory alert on my phone.

Attachments

• image-2625062315.jpg
    image-2625062315.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 100

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Making me hungry, I might have to break out some rainbows from the freezer for dinner.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Nice job! We launched from Piney Point again and headed straight to #9 where we hooked up Friday. Nothing. Went through a huge school and landed (2) 15".

Heard on the VHF that the birthday cake was hot so we headed down there. Acres of gulls working and TONS of baitfish. Hooked (2) more 15".

Heard some being snagged in 60' back up near St. Marys river so we went up there. Nothing.

Marked a lot of HUGE schools in the deep water north of #9 but couldn't get any takers.

We've been using small bucktails with 3" sassy shads.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Nice job! We launched from Piney Point again and headed straight to #9 where we hooked up Friday. Nothing. Went through a huge school and landed (2) 15".

Heard on the VHF that the birthday cake was hot so we headed down there. Acres of gulls working and TONS of baitfish. Hooked (2) more 15".

Heard some being snagged in 60' back up near St. Marys river so we went up there. Nothing.

Marked a lot of HUGE schools in the deep water north of #9 but couldn't get any takers.

We've been using small bucktails with 3" sassy shads.

Maybe you should get some lessons on fishing from Mr. Caution?

Caution

Nice job! We launched from Piney Point again and headed straight to #9 where we hooked up Friday. Nothing. Went through a huge school and landed (2) 15". Heard on the VHF that the birthday cake was hot so we headed down there. Acres of gulls working and TONS of baitfish. Hooked (2) more 15". Heard some being snagged in 60' back up near St. Marys river so we went up there. Nothing. Marked a lot of HUGE schools in the deep water north of #9 but couldn't get any takers. We've been using small bucktails with 3" sassy shads.
Not home at the moment but from memory, White & chartreuse 9" shads and a Green and gold striped bullet head. Ruby lipped big eye white 9" with green head were what we had lick on., all were caught in 45' deep or more water at depth of 20' - 25'. We were running 15 poles. 7 boat and 9 boards. 4 were caught on boat lines. We did not see as much bait as Friday but was plenty of fish. Once again noticed about an hour before high tide they came up off the bottom and that's when we got busy.

Last edited:

Caution

Maybe you should get some lessons on fishing from Mr. Caution?

I'm always open to learning how to better catch these gems.

I wish I could say I was the man with the plan. My stepfather is the one who has spent years tweaking his setup. All his poles are marked with tape telling him how deep each pole goes out. What weight to start with on an average day ect. Then there are black marks on his braid that also tells him how deep his lures are working. He is an ol' county boy from Tall Timbers and seems to know a thing or two about trolling for rockfish. Jigging and Topwater are his weaknesses but I am working on figuring all that out and loading us up with that kinda gear. Looking forward to my first 40" rockfish on 10lb braid. :yahoo:

The majority of the lures we use are custom made locally by a guy whose first name is Robert. We do keep a few things from the tackle box on the boat but strictly as spares.

Shutout

Nice fish. My son just texted me and said he is leaving Friday for a week of fishing at the CBBT. They great success there last year. We catch a few in Liberty and Piney Run reserviors around here.

Last edited: