Relocating to So. MD in a month

lance379

Hello everybody!

I just got a job in the California, MD and will be relocating to the area from up North in a month. Just have a few questions about the area and hope someone would be willing to help me out.

First off a little background ... 23yrs old, male, single

1) Where are some good places to live?
I am looking for a single bedroom apt.

2) Is there any night life?
Any good dance clubs, sports bars or pubs in So. MD or do I have to go to DC for all that?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me.

K

Kain99

Wildewood - in Calif MD. has some really nice apartments. Stay out of Great Mills if you can.

J

justhangn

Welcome to the county, in a month. :biggrin:

Waldorf is ok for clubbing, what few there are.

:cheers:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Sorry about your luck... ;)

You'll be climbing the walls and going insane within 2 months.
If you're going to find an apartment for next month though, you better get your butt down here and start hunting. You'll be hard-pressed to find a place unless you have at least 2 months notice.

RangerJohn

It depends upon what you are looking for, apartments can be pricey and require a long-term lease. The Greens at Hilton Run are quiet and convenient. As for nightlife, again, depends upon what you are looking for. Being a transplanted SoCal, I've got to run up to Waldorf, DC or Bowie for restaurants etcetra. However, it is improving here, and I kind of like seeing the bald eagles flying over head or the deer in my back yard at Cedar Cove.
However, when I was 23 I had a lot of hell-raising that needed to find an outlet, and this is that KIND of place.

Welcome though, I'm glad that I came to live here.

lance379

Thanks for the welcome everybody.

To answer your question BchBns I am moving from Harrisburg, PA.

Lived in PA all my life. I was raised in a rural area but was glad to get away from it.

Enjoyed living in Harrisburg (good city, great night life) but this new job is a great career boost.

Is there a fairly large young population? Looked at demographics for the area but I wasn't sure if the navy base was throwing off the numbers.

As for Gold Mine and Ape Hangers I can only assume those are bar names :cheers:

Haven't received my official start date yet, only assuming it is in a month. For sake of apartment hunting hope its two.

thanks for all the help

K

Kain99

Sleuth! Don't tell him that! Your just hard to please... Listen Lance - Slueth is just massively high maintenance! Solomons Island has some very nice clubs and Waldorf has some decent Hot Spots. If you didn't pick it up... The girls are just kidding you! Stay away from Gold Mine and Ape Hangers.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Kain99
If you didn't pick it up... The girls are just kidding you! Stay away from Gold Mine and Ape Hangers.
I wasn't kidding, they are biker bars. I've been to both of them. :biggrin:

lance379

Hello Barbra!

I grew up in Schuylkill County just north of Reading. Born in Tremont and later moved to Hegins so I was in the middle of Dutch country also. Actually it kind of freaked me out when I was driving down Rt. 5 and saw a horse and buggy sign. I thought I had finally gotten away from the Amish when I moved to Harrisburg.

Thanks for the advice Kain. I was told that Solomons Island was a good place to go.

Last edited:
K

Kain99

Originally posted by RoseRed
I wasn't kidding, they are biker bars. I've been to both of them. :biggrin:

Really? I'll be honest I had a meeting with the owner at The Mouse Trap Bar in Mechanicsville on Monday and I have never been treated so politely in a bar before. Seriously! The guys were perfect gentlemen. I guess this just proves that sterotypes are usually wrong. Hope I didn't offend you.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Kain99
Really? I'll be honest I had a meeting with the owner at The Mouse Trap Bar in Mechanicsville on Monday and I have never been treated so politely in a bar before. Seriously! The guys were perfect gentlemen. I guess this just proves that sterotypes are usually wrong. Hope I didn't offend you.
Not offended in the least! :biggrin: Just didn't want Lance to expect one thing and be surprised. Some people can be very intimated by such places.

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Lance,

We have fishing, hunting, all sorts of activities on the water, a lot of bars with dart leagues, softball, horseshoes, several bars that have either DJ's or bands on the weekends and a drag strip, flat track and motocross track all within St. Mary's County. The peopel are great and life is somewhat slower here then in urban areas, wich is fine by me, but there are plenty of activities to keep one busy. Not to mention we are only a couple of hours from the mountains or ocean and only an hour from downtown DC. If you can't find something to do you either aren't looking or you just can't be pleased.

tater

Welcome Lance. Spyglass and the Greens are the two best apartment complexes (in my opinion). They are very close to the base and you don't have to pack heat to get from your car to the front door. (that was just a joke, :biggrin:) Anyhow, I'm at Spyglass and it's right on the beach and they have little beach parties from time to time, hot women that come around door to door every night asking if you need ANYTHING, anything at all, and free cable :wink::lmao:. Ok, so there's no free cable:cheesy: Seriously though, it's also good because it really nice and because of it's location, it cuts out on the traffic heading North after work. Call now because they do stay pretty booked.
Good luck :biggrin:

J

justhangn

Originally posted by RoseRed
Not offended in the least! :biggrin: Just didn't want Lance to expect one thing and be surprised. Some people can be very intimated by such places.

What's wrong with biker bars??