New HomeDepot

elliottsa

Whats all the fuss from the people who live in Wildewood about the re-zoning for the new Home Depot store? Anyone know anything about this?

SmallTown

Football season!
Who knows. Probably half of the people saying they want it, the other half saying they don't.. When it opens, the ones who didn't want it will go, the ones who did want it will stay home. Typical mindset of Americans.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I don't know what the fuss is about, either. Personally, I would prefer Home Depot to find a site that already has access to a traffic light.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Tonio
I don't know what the fuss is about, either. Personally, I would prefer Home Depot to find a site that already has access to a traffic light.

The problem is, that would be the logical thing to do.. But we have seen, logic is not part of the equation when it comes to developers and politicians who want the extra revenue.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
The property apparently is "commercially" zoned as a planned unit development. So, since they don't want to build houses there, they need to change the zoning.

Home Depot's traffic study indicates they would need another signal to access Route 235. --Another-- signal... UGH!

Access to the property would have to cross the old railroad right-of-way. There are literally hundreds of these crossings, basically limiting any usefulness, present and future, for that right-of-way. I doubt that light rail is really feasible in St Mary's, but what if we needed to build another roadway to ease congestion on Route 235. With all the crossings, that's nearly impossible. One more, not granted today, is one less that the State will have to buy back in the future.

Most importantly, the residents of Wildewood never anticipated having a well-lit superstore behind their homes and condos. They can probably maintain a buffer there, but that really does change the value of those homes nearby. If I'm one of these "neighbors" then I'd really hope that the planning commission listens to these people who will be affected the most.

I'm glad I don't live in Wildewood near this project. But, Sunday in Rockingham, Go Tony Stewart!!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I have to say that I agree with the Wildewood owners, even though I know the owners of the trailer park that is to be sold.

pilot

I expect that Home Depot is looking to go head-to-head with Lowes to put them out of business. They've been doing that kind of thing nationwide. Otherwise, why put the two stores so close together? Why not open a store in, say, Mechanicsville, which could probably really use a closer place?

My fear is that Home Depot will come in, lower their prices, put Loews out of business, and then raise their prices again. And there will be yet another vacant space in St. Mary's County, this time in a brand new development.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by pilot
My fear is that Home Depot will come in, lower their prices, put Loews out of business, and then raise their prices again. And there will be yet another vacant space in St. Mary's County, this time in a brand new development.

Lowes will not be put out of business because of Home Depot, their prices are too high for that.

I agree that they should look to put one in the Mechanicsville area to create jobs for the workfare recipients. :really:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by pilot

No way! With so much construction going on in St. Mary's, both will survive. Home Depot and Lowes compete successfully in communities like ours all over the nation. These two are mortal enemies, like Yankees vs. Orioles or Redskins vs. Cowboys.

When Lowes expanded its store here, I imagined the Home Depot board of directors (in orange vests, of course) saying, "NO! The evil blue-vested ones must not succeed in their diabolical plan to dominate home improvement in St. Mary's County! We must attack! :lol:

pilot

Tonio,

I hope you're right. I'd feel a lot better if they weren't going right across the street from each other.

SmallTown

Football season!
these stores are always pretty close to each other if they can be.. They compete all the time and in the areas I know about, one has not put another out of business..
Do you think this is the ONLY area in the country with a k-mart, wal-mart and target all within a mile of one another? Just like with those stores, you will always have people loyal to one store or the other, then venture into the other when they have a good deal on something they want.

chuckster

IMFUBARED
Originally posted by SmallTown
Do you think this is the ONLY area in the country with a k-mart, wal-mart and target all within a mile of one another? Just like with those stores, you will always have people loyal to one store or the other, then venture into the other when they have a good deal on something they want.

Do we really need another Big Box Store? This is getting crazy down here. There are counties that have said NO to these Big Box Stores and have done just fine. There is still less than 100,000 people in St Marys and unemployment is at 2.9%. Where do the people come from to work this store? More poor service.
We will be Waldorf South very soon.

SmallTown

Football season!
And counties the same size as ours (or smaller) who have said yes to the big box stores and done just fine.

Lesson learned - Counties can survive with and without big box stores.

chuckster

IMFUBARED

Lesson learned - Counties can survive with and without big box stores.

Either open for business or with "Now Leasing" signs on them.

Guess we don't have enough empty stores/buildings in St Marys yet. Bring them on!

SmallTown

Football season!
If the business is good, people will come.

People complained that we didn't need another grocery store. Shoppers went into a recently vacated unit and I was just their the other day. Every register was open with at least 3 or 4 people in each line. And from what I hear, Giant and the others are still doing rather well so these people are coming from somewhere :smile:

watercolor

yeah yeah
Well...my opinion..that they should NOT build it. NO reason too. And when in the world would they put it in Wildewood? Whatever. They dont need to. Just like all those dumb WaWa's no reason for them. Nuff said.

chuckster

IMFUBARED
If the business is good, people will come.

People complained that we didn't need another grocery store. Shoppers went into a recently vacated unit and I was just their the other day. Every register was open with at least 3 or 4 people in each line. And from what I hear, Giant and the others are still doing rather well so these people are coming from somewhere :smile:

And they are under staffed. From what I hear people are not impressed. Try the Buffet, cold hard dry chicken with cold potatoes. Mmmmmmm So good!
And from what I hear, one of the chains is not doing so well. The best location is the new McKays in Wildewood. All his customers live there! He will do well in Wildewood.

Keep in mind small, Shoppers is still the new kid on the block. They to will see a drop off.

chuckster

IMFUBARED
Originally posted by watercolor23
Well...my opinion..that they should NOT build it. NO reason too. And when in the world would they put it in Wildewood? Whatever. They dont need to. Just like all those dumb WaWa's no reason for them. Nuff said.

Because our Planning Commission does not have the ---- to say no and our BOCC wants us to think that they are doing a great job.