Obedience trainers

rockspyder

Anybody have any good recommendations? We trained our Rotty with an established trainer down here in St. Mary's, but I think that she is going to be moving in the not-too-distant future. Have another doggy we need to train, and need the classes especially for socialization.

Thanks in advance.

dawncheree

Applejack Academy

I took my 5 month old minpin, who I thought to be dumb as a rock, to the Applejack Academy in Charlotte Hall. They kept her for two weeks and I came back to a well-trained little pooch (although she was pretty skinny - we still refer to the training as her "boot camp"). It was pretty expensive -- $500 -- but the training stuck and she is one great dog - well worth every penny. I've heard folks complain about Applejack accomodations for their dogs (mine was so small, so I brought her own crate for her to stay in vice being socialized with the other dogs). Only thing I REALLY wasn't happy about was that she was just filthy when we picked her up - jeez, for $500, they could have at least given her a bath! I still have one more minpin at home, definitely ready for her own boot camp. If anyone else has any other BETTER experiences - pls let me know!

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
I'm looking for a trainer for my 2 1/2 month old pit bull, but I would like to get trained, as well! I don't want to leave him somewhere for two weeks. Especially since I don't have tons of money left over after all these vet visits... each time I take him, he has a different kind of worms!

Anyway, I'm looking for a not-to-expensive place that I can attend, too. I've heard Petsmart does training. Anyone had good luck there?

Oh Heck, I thought this tread would be about wemins training their mens to put the seat down and whatnot.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Chesapeake Kennel Club has training classes where you go with your dog. From beginner on up. I've taken two dogs there and I enjoy it. It's good socialization for the dog and it's fun and you spend time with your dog. You have to work at home to reinforce what you learn in class during the week.

They hold their classes in Dunkirk on Skinner's Turn Road.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by appyday
I am sorry I should probably not say this but I have groomed some from applejack and they seem tramatized..some big dogs even roll over and pee on themselves...:mad:

I bought my shepherd from Apple Jacks and went through the training....she's a great dog and not traumatized in the least.

W

Wolfspirit

Well, I live in Southern Maryland, and I am an obedience trainer(amounst other things). I don't believe in all of those training sessions where you throw a bunch of dogs in one room, with one trainer.

What I do is come to your house and train both you and your dog. More so you, because in order to properly train a dog, you must understand him!!!!

Well, anyways if your interested email me at:

wolftalk@hotmail.com

Talk to ya soon hopefully
Wolf Spirit

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by Wolfspirit
Well, I live in Southern Maryland, and I am an obedience trainer(amounst other things). I don't believe in all of those training sessions where you throw a bunch of dogs in one room, with one trainer.

What I do is come to your house and train both you and your dog. More so you, because in order to properly train a dog, you must understand him!!!!

Well, anyways if your interested email me at:

wolftalk@hotmail.com

Talk to ya soon hopefully
Wolf Spirit

I thought the classes were just fine, especially for the money. They teach you to work with your dog outside of the class and you do get some individual assistance during the classes.

bluecat

Originally posted by rockspyder
Anybody have any good recommendations? We trained our Rotty with an established trainer down here in St. Mary's, but I think that she is going to be moving in the not-too-distant future. Have another doggy we need to train, and need the classes especially for socialization.

Thanks in advance.

Take your dog to the place on St. Andrew's Church Rd. The guy that teaches you how to train your dog in the classes is an ex cop who is very down to earth.

You train with the dog. It was an hour or two every Saturday for like 6 weeks.

You can go into advanced training to if you want.

I've heard that animals don't get treated good at Applejack.

S

Shutterbug

I took my dog to Applejack's for training. He didn't seem tramatized at all.

However, if I had to do it all again, I don't think I would take him there. When we went back for the training every weekend, they weren't very nice to my dog or other dogs. Makes me wonder how my pooch came out of it so well...and what happened to him while he was there.

rockspyder

Originally posted by bernsm
1) Pet Paradise Kennels on Route 4 - number is in the yellow pages

2) Brian Markowich - Gryphon Obedience Dog Training at kodidog@erols.com

Wow! Talk about along running thread.... in my case, I'm taken care of now. I went with Brian at Gryphon and it worked out well.

Looking back now, I think the experience of being in an area with multiple other dogs was invaluable to the training. Not the least because of the socialization; but also, I plan on entering my dog into obedience competition, and I feel it was better for even me to have to work in front of other people while initially training my dog.