Breaking News - Terri Schiavo Case - Appeal Lost

K

Kizzy

I thought the court would turn her over to her parents. :ohwell: For continued care.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Kizzy said:
I thought the court would turn her over to her parents. :ohwell: For continued care.

Kizzy,
Unpopular as it may seem. the Court did the right thing. When Terry married she passed responsibility from her birth-family to her new husband. If there is no criminal intent, there is no reason to not honor the wishes of her husband. He has stood by for over 20 years and has come to the recognization there is no hope for Terry to ever have a meaningful life beyond what she now has.

It's sad but true that you occasionally have to let go.

Lenny said:
Kizzy,
Unpopular as it may seem. the Court did the right thing. When Terry married she passed responsibility from her birth-family to her new husband. If there is no criminal intent, there is no reason to not honor the wishes of her husband. He has stood by for over 20 years and has come to the recognization there is no hope for Terry to ever have a meaningful life beyond what she now has.

It's sad but true that you occasionally have to let go.
I agree...:sad:

K

Kizzy

I understand what you are saying Lenny, but the whole thing stinks for the parents. What has bugged me since day #1 in all of this is how her husband changed his stance from the time the lawsuit was settled till the day he started trying to remove her feeding tube.

I am all for the legal system and agree with the decision of the court, just doesn't make it go down any better. :ohwell:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think the parents are being selfish and keeping that woman a breathing vegetable for their own ego.

What's the point? She's never going to leave her bed or do anything other than lay there. The parents treat her like some pet instead of a human being and I just think it's wrong. These are the type of people that, if this woman ever is allowed to die in peace, will write her notes on a public website every single day and buy her Wal-Mart gift certificates to use in heaven. :rolleyes:

It's just ignorant and pathetic.

vraiblonde said:
I think the parents are being selfish and keeping that woman a breathing vegetable for their own ego.

What's the point? She's never going to leave her bed or do anything other than lay there. The parents treat her like some pet instead of a human being and I just think it's wrong. These are the type of people that, if this woman ever is allowed to die in peace, will write her notes on a public website every single day and buy her Wal-Mart gift certificates to use in heaven. :rolleyes:

:yeahthat: :notworthy:

BTE

Extra Ordinary
Talk about pathetic.....check this article out. A woman whose daughter has been in a vegetative state for the last 35 years....and she is still caring for her. It's unbelievable. As much as I cannot believe what she is doing and don't necessarily agree with it....I admire her for her dedication and faith.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
BTE said:
I admire her for her dedication and faith.
I don't. These people remind me of Munchausen-by-Proxy mothers who poison their children in order to get attention for themselves.

K

Kizzy

vraiblonde said:

Yeah - but when the story first broke, they made it sound as if her husband hadn't done everything possible for her. Nearly two years ago, I saw somebody in a vegetative state, go to a rehab center and come back nearly 6-months later nearly recovered. Last year too, a woman who had a massive stroke while pregnant was placed on feeding tubes, and it didn’t look hopeful, also went to a rehab center and is well somewhat functional now.

I am sure during the appeal process; this was reviewed, so now they just have to put it to rest. I know this sounds sick, but I would almost rather them inject her with high doses of morphine, instead of letting her starve to death. :ohwell: The whole thing is just sad, I think.

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
Kizzy said:
...they made it sound as if ...
That's the key, media spin isn't always the truth. Her parents should eb thinking about her quality of life. She has no idea what's going on around her, and I'm sure she was once a vibrant and happy woman. (She's obviously very well-loved.)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Kizzy said:
I know this sounds sick, but I would almost rather them inject her with high doses of morphine, instead of letting her starve to death.
I don't think that sounds sick at all. If it were your dog, you'd have it put down rather than let it suffer to death. Why would someone be more compassionate toward an animal than a human? :ohwell:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Kizzy said:
they made it sound as if her husband hadn't done everything possible for her
Sounds like propaganda, trying to make the husband look bad. :shrug: Every situation is different.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
pvineswinger said:
That's the key, media spin isn't always the truth. Her parents should eb thinking about her quality of life. She has no idea what's going on around her, and I'm sure she was once a vibrant and happy woman. (She's obviously very well-loved.)
I was too slow. :ohwell:

BTE

Extra Ordinary
vraiblonde said:
I don't think that sounds sick at all. If it were your dog, you'd have it put down rather than let it suffer to death. Why would someone be more compassionate toward an animal than a human? :ohwell:
I agree 100%. If only there were more Dr. Kevorkian's in the world.

hamsterfang

The hamster litter reject
The only problem is that she is brain-damaged, not brain-dead.... I don't know how to feel. I would hate to be in the parents or the husband's shoes right now.

My only question is: Can this woman still feel pain and discomfort? Is she at all self-aware? If she is, it may be wrong to starve her to death. I'm not sure what the details are about her situation... :ohwell:

K

Kizzy

vraiblonde said:

I agree. When I said sick, I was looking beyond what I was suggesting here with the Morphine administration, because basically, what I have suggested is Euthanasia, in some sense of the definition.

Personally, I think when we start mentioning Dr. Assisted Suicide or choosing some other option than letting her naturally starve to death, it is suggesting that Euthanasia is an option or a way out. I am sure that after they disconnect the feeding tube, Morphine will be administered. She is severely brain damaged and not brain dead. I think she will feel pain in all of this and the Morphine will be used to minimize it. JMO

I will say that I am somewhat for Euthanasia, but there is so much controversy over it and both sides, do have a valid argument. However, I have always believed that whether or not any of us want to admit it, Morphine, IMO is used as a form of Euthanasia. I have witnessed several situations where Morphine was used in cancer patients to minimize pain, and suspected, that it was used in higher doses to hurry up the process. I had no proof, just a hunch, so I wasn’t surprised later that year that a huge article and study came out making that same accusation.

There are many issues in this case that just rub me the wrong way, including her husband, but the court decision is final, this is the last stop, everyone has done all they can do.

Christy

b*tch rocket
vraiblonde said:

I totally disagree. I think the husband is being a prick and has denied her proper care for years. :shrug:

I already have in my will that no one had better pull the plug on me. :lol:

B

Bruzilla

hamsterfang said:
The only problem is that she is brain-damaged, not brain-dead.... I don't know how to feel. I would hate to be in the parents or the husband's shoes right now.

My only question is: Can this woman still feel pain and discomfort? Is she at all self-aware? If she is, it may be wrong to starve her to death. I'm not sure what the details are about her situation... :ohwell:

No, she is pretty much brain dead. The cases that people like to bring up about people being in vegatative states for years and then recovering are cases of brain damage. Loosely defined, that means that the neural paths in the brain that control motor functions and conciousness have been severed, usually due to an accident, and are no longer functioning. It's like trying to start a car with the starter wire cut - the ignition is on, voltage is flowing, but there's no way to get the engine started. Since the person is still functioning, and the brain is still alive, the brain can develop new neural pathways that might bypass the damage. It's like when you hear a song, or smell a scent, the brings back memories long forgotten to the concious mind. That's because the neural pathway for that song or scent is connected to dozens, hundreds, or thousands of other pathways and once one is kicked on they all get voltage. This is also why you hear about long coma victims showing responses to voices, scents, presence of family, etc.

In this woman's case, her brain wasn't damaged by trauma and the neural paths cut. Her brain went without oxygen for too long, and key portions of it died. There's no chance of her recovering because the brain isn't trying to generate new connections. There's enough of her brain remaining to maintain basic motor functions and that's about it. That's why she can look around, smile, breathe, etc. These aren't concious movements, just what's left of her brain working on inate and acquired reflexes.

I agree 100% with what Vrai said. Her parents are fighting to keep her alive for the simple reason that they don't want her to go. I guess as a parent I can understand that, but I would like to think that I could distinguish between my child living and being as alive as a Disney animatronic figure.