Wedding Reception sites in SOMD???

Karamia36

I'm planning my wedding for August of 2003 and have had absolutely NO luck in finding a nice place to have a reception anywhere in the St. Mary's/Calvert area...Does anyone have a secret find they wouldn't mind sharing???

Thanks!

-K

MDindef

How large? The "O" club reception room on NAS Pax is pretty nice, if you can get in. Also, the housing reception center on base is good.

Hollywood Firehouse, but it's fairly large and expensive.

SmallTown

Football season!
Don't have a wedding down here!
hahaha just kidding, just didn't want to disappoint those who thought I would have a negative comment about this..

We had looked at doing both the wedding and reception at the brome-howard inn.. Nice place on (near) the water

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by Karamia36
I'm planning my wedding for August of 2003 and have had absolutely NO luck in finding a nice place to have a reception anywhere in the St. Mary's/Calvert area...Does anyone have a secret find they wouldn't mind sharing???

Thanks!

-K
Hi there. The answer to your question is going to largely depend on the number of guests you are expecting to attend. I am having about 300 at my May '03 wedding, and we're using Immaculate Heart of Mary's Hall in Lexington Park. There are all the firehouses - some large, some small. And a new conference center going up in Lexington Park that's going to be very nice. There are several options. Where have you looked thus far?

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
Where will your wedding be held? There are several places around that usually do wedding receptions - a lot of them belong to the various firehouses in the area. Here are some of the sites...

Lexington Park/California area - JT Daugherty Conference Center (opening December 2002), St. Andrews Episcopal Church, Immaculate Heart Church (big hall)

Valley Lee/Piney Point area - 2nd District Volunteer Fire Department, St. Georges Episcopal Church, St. Georges Catholic Church, Oakwood Lodge

Hollywood area - Hollywood Volunteer Fire Department (HUGE hall)

Mechanicsville area - Mechanicsville Volunteer Fire Department

Ridge area - Brome Howard Inn, Ridge Volunteer Fire Department

Calvert area - Solomons Volunteer Fire Department, Holiday Inn

This isn't even close to what is available out there. A suggestion - try calling some of the caterers in the area - they could tell you all of the halls that they have worked weddings at....

Rita B Catering (301)884-3855
Bailey's Catering (301)475-2699
Brome Howard Inn (301)866-0656
Thompson's Catering (301)884-5251
Abell's Catering (301)769-4010

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
Depends on what you're looking for, but as was said, your best bet is Fire houses, church halls and/or VFWs/American Legions. The Bailey's catering place also has the Olde Breton Inn that they rent out in Breton Bay for parties/receptions. Hollywood is most popular, but I'm pretty sure you have to get that at least a year in advance. Leonardtown and Mechanicsville fire houses also have nice halls, a little smaller than Hollywood. I think Tavern on the Green in Wildewood also has a nice place for receptions.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Well... I am having mine at the Olde Breton Inn in leonardtown in september. You can check it out there. It is great. I love it. Its so pretty too. Feel free to pm, and I can give you information on it. :smile:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by watercolor23
Well... I am having mine at the Olde Breton Inn in leonardtown in september. You can check it out there. It is great. I love it. Its so pretty too. Feel free to pm, and I can give you information on it. :smile:

Great choice... Although if you go over 100, you're in separate rooms. But still, I think that's one of the best places for a smaller affair. Great atmosphere...

Karamia36

Thanks to everyone for the ideas!!!

I'm actually capping my guest list at 80, so it will be relatively small, which is why I'm straying away from renting out the firehouses...the Breton Bay idea is a great one, and I was actually looking into the Brome Howard Inn, as well.....

Nevertheless, I'd also like to hear about your experiences at your own reception sites...nothing helps more than a good (or bad!) testimonial when it comes to making a decision!

Thanks again,

-K

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Brome Howard is excellent. Breton Bay's Olde Breton Inn is excellent. You can't go wrong with either.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Originally posted by Nodnarb

Great choice... Although if you go over 100, you're in separate rooms. But still, I think that's one of the best places for a smaller affair. Great atmosphere...

actually we are getting the breton room, and well...they told us it can fit 160....

elliottsa

Karamia36,

We had our wedding at the Brome Howard Inn... I can't say enough wonderful things about that place. They really know what they are doing and helped make our wedding the best it could be. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
My son's wedding reception (this Saturday!) is being held at Paul's on the South River. It's a nice restaurant which specializes in wedding receptions. It is located on the water just west of the bridge on Riva Road in Anne Arundel County. It's a bit pricey but really very nice.

http://www.paulsonthesouthriver.com

E

ez_one20690

We had our reception at the BRASS RAIL...They even offer (and we did) catering. They built that big addition and it was great!!

Cheetah

We had our reception at the Knights of Columbus Hall in Bowie. I think they have the biggest dance floor in PG County :) It's amazing how Ficus trees with X-mas lights can jazz up a room. Need a good DJ that is reasonable? Try Jimmy Nally in Gaithersburg, MD. His company is All-Stars Karaoke if he is still located there. We have had so many guests from our wedding use him for their weddings...het gets the crowd hopping on the dance floor.