Venison

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Am I missing something about venison? I've tried it two or three times, and it always tastes like the deer sat in the hunter's truck for several hours before being cleaned. I've had alligator, duck and frog legs, and they didn't taste this gamey.

J

justhangn

It all has to do with how clean the kill was. If the deer was shot and took off running, pumped FULL of adrenalin, it will be gamey as all. You can get some/most of that flavor out with marinating it, but there still will be some taste left.

IF you take the head off with the first shot, it is some kind of scrumptious. :biggrin:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
It also has something to do with how it is cooked, especially for a roast. Prior to cooking the roast I submerse the venison in water with a cup of vinegar and a couple of tablespoons of baking powder. After about an hour or so a fatty membrane will form on the meat and you simply peel it off before cooking. Removes the gamey taste.

SeaRide

Depends on where you shot the deer at. I 've shot deer on/near the farm and I would expect lot of "fatback" on the deer. I have been hunting deer up in the WV mountains and notice the difference in taste and looks of the meat. It all depends on what the deer has been eating all year long. I prefer the deer from WV mountain than those deer eating too much soybeans and corn near the farm out in VA/MD. I do field dress the deer before haul it out of the woods. I have seen others bring it home and wait until tomorrow to field dress it. :barf:
Did you carefully remove the sweat gland before field dress it? If not , that's the key to prevent the nasty taste in the leg meat.

You know how the turkey meat looks? the one from the store with lots of fat ( more whiter) and the wild turkey ( less fat or none - looks darker than normal) .. they both taste different.

sorry for the rambling ..

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Please. That is such crap. Everyone always says, "It must not have been cooked right" when you tell them you don't like deer meat. Bull. I don't like deer meat because IT DOESN'T TASTE GOOD!

Ken, Sea and Just - that's a hell of a lot of work compared to running down to the Giant and picking up a beef roast like what normal people eat.
:razz:

J

justhangn

Define normal........ :biggrin:

I understand not everyone likes it. To each his/her own, but there are some ways that I don't even like it.

SeaRide

Vrai, It's like growing up eating canned green beans and then you taste the fresh green beans straight from garden for the first time. You will say IT DOESN'T TASTE GOOD! :rolleyes:

When someone says that the cavair taste great, I say yeah the fish eggs are GREAT! :biggrin:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Most of the stuff that people consider a delicacy is disgusting - caviar, pate, guts (heart, liver, brains, tripe). Bleccch! I am definitely NOT an adventurous eater. But I do like deer jerky!

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by SeaRide
Vrai, It's like growing up eating canned green beans and then you taste the fresh green beans straight from garden for the first time. You will say IT DOESN'T TASTE GOOD! :rolleyes:

When someone says that the cavair taste great, I say yeah the fish eggs are GREAT! :biggrin:

which won't taste good, out of the can or garden?

SeaRide

well, actually .. my grandmother grew up eating green beans from the garden and she would say the canned green beans taste awful. My friend grew up eating canned green beans and said those green beans out of the garden doesn't taste right.

Get my point yet?

If you grew up eating fish that you catch from the sea, you might say those fish in the cans are yucky.

I can't think of a better example right now. I must be out of brain fuel. :smile:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Please. That is such crap. Everyone always says, "It must not have been cooked right" when you tell them you don't like deer meat. Bull. I don't like deer meat because IT DOESN'T TASTE GOOD!

Ken, Sea and Just - that's a hell of a lot of work compared to running down to the Giant and picking up a beef roast like what normal people eat.
:razz:

Well we always get those good WV Mountain deer, so there isn't much to making them taste good. Just making sure you remove all the fat. So Vrai, someday I am gonna make you a deer roast and I'll bet you a case of Sam Adams that you'd like it! :cheers:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Christy, I'll take that bet! My family has been trying to get me to like deer meat since I could hit my face with a fork.
:barf:

SeaRide

Originally posted by Christy

Well we always get those good WV Mountain deer, so there isn't much to making them taste good. Just making sure you remove all the fat. So Vrai, someday I am gonna make you a deer roast and I'll bet you a case of Sam Adams that you'd like it! :cheers:
Now you got me drooling .. :crazy:

MDindef

A lot of it has to do with how long the deer was aged before you butcher it. For those that have access to a walk-in cooler, you should age the deer about eight days if you can before butchering. I hang my deer in the cooler after tagging it, and on the second day I skin it. On the eighth day I butcher it. It always turns out good that way.

One other thing: try marinating the meat (especially stew chunks or backstrap) in milk overnight. That's right - milk. Just try it. You'll be glad you did.

Jameo

What?!
I think the key to cooking venison is to cook it SLOWLY. We have let them age, butchered them right away, let them soak in water, blah, blah and just as long as there cooked up slow, that's the best darn eat'n there is!:yum: Also if you get a big old buck that is in full rut, that meat smells awful and with have a more "gamey" taste to it. The little ones are good & tender :yum:

Now goose, that is some nasty stuff :barf: