Speeding/Teens/Driving/Crashes

Pete

Repete
I was discussing something similar to this with my mother last night. My nephew, hereafter referred to as Doofus, got a speeding ticket for 71 in a 40 despite endless warnings from nearly every adult he knows about speeding. He went to court with grandparents in tow (they have raised him since he was a toddler) to face the judge. Well it seems that in GA now anything over 25 MPH above the posted speed limit is not a civil thing but in fact criminal. Doofus is now facing up to 6 months in jail, 9 months of suspended license, big fine all for being just a little too cool for his own good.

Grandma and Grandpa dragged Doofus over to the ADA to try and get the newly appointed ADA to drop the speeding down to 24 over to cut Doofus some slack. ADA is not having anything to do with it. She pointed out to Doofus and the Grandparents that in the last year, they have had to pry the remains of 5 teenage speeders out of trees, telephone polls, truck grills, and the loud public outcry was heard by the DA very clearly. So Doofus, who has at this moment realized he is not nearly as cool as he thought he was is resigning himself to a rather stiff punishment not to mention a criminal record when Grandma does the unspeakable, she tells the judge they are opting for a trial.

It is this point in the story where I keep mom on the phone while I search for my cell phone so I can call NASA, the FBI, the GA State Patrol and the local Sheriff so they can send a team to my parents house and capture the aliens who have replaced them and place them into custody, while they mount a search for my real parents who are undoubtedly bound and gagged somewhere in the house.

See I know that these imposters have to be aliens because my real parents would never do that. They would have dragged him down and thrown him on the floor in front of the judge and asked for the max because Doofus had been warned over and over and had a listening problem. Then she would have looked at him with the patented “thin lip” look of disgust I witnessed every time I strayed from good behavior.

I decided to explore the depths of this alien would go to in rationalizing that Doofus did not deserve the punishment he rightly deserved. It was then the alien in the mom costume said “It is a lot different than when you were a kid” :twitch: I replied, “Yes it is, they did not have a monthly body count nearly as high back then.” To no avail, the alien in the mom costume was not going to be swayed.

I have yet to hear back from the FBI.

Last edited:
D

dems4me

Pete said:
To no avail, the alien in the mom costume was not going to be swayed.

:killingme: :killingme: great peice of work Pete!!! :killingme:

You are very talented!! :dance: :yay: :yay:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Pete said:
See I know that these imposters have to be aliens because my real parents would never do that. They would have dragged him down and thrown him on the floor in front of the judge and asked for the max because Doofus had been warned over and over and had a listening problem. Then she would have looked at him with the patented “thin lip” look of disgust I witnessed every time I strayed from good behavior.
I hated when my parents were abducted and the aliens would gloss over things my nieces and nephews did, that I would NEVER have DARED to do.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
:killingme
Pete said:

I decided to explore the depths of this alien would go to in rationalizing that Doofus did not deserve the punishment he rightly deserved. It was then the alien in the mom costume said “It is a lot different than when you were a kid” :twitch: I replied, “Yes it is, they did not have a monthly body count nearly as high back then.” To no avail, the alien in the mom costume was not going to be swayed.

Sorry to hear about your problems with Doofus - but I gotta say - :killingme !

S

Sassygirl

I think I like the sounds of how GA is handling speeding. It scares me to think that in 9 years my child is going to be driving. I hope that he listens to the things I tell him and everyone else tells him about being careless when it comes to driving, and drinking and driving for that matter.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
I have decided I need to sell my car. I knew it was going to get me into trouble. Generally I'm not one to speed. For the past two weeks I have left my Magnum parked and have been driving my Blazer and Festiva, Well Last night I took out the Magnum decided to step into it a little bit. Got pulled over about 1/4 mile where I pulled out from. Got a ticket for 59 in a 50, well the speed limit is 40 there, and he said he got me doing 81. Very nice cop, Gratefull that he dropped it for me. The thing that gets me is I never knew radar worked with the cop driving in my direction, Oh well my fault either way.

hamsterfang

The hamster litter reject
:confused:
Magnum said:
I have decided I need to sell my car. I knew it was going to get me into trouble. Generally I'm not one to speed. For the past two weeks I have left my Magnum parked and have been driving my Blazer and Festiva, Well Last night I took out the Magnum decided to step into it a little bit. Got pulled over about 1/4 mile where I pulled out from. Got a ticket for 59 in a 50, well the speed limit is 40 there, and he said he got me doing 81. Very nice cop, Gratefull that he dropped it for me. The thing that gets me is I never knew radar worked with the cop driving in my direction, Oh well my fault either way.

I've never received a speeding ticket, but I have heard that if you get pulled over for say, going 70 on RT 4 (speed limit=55) the officer may lower the speed to 62 if you pay a larger fine? I'm assuming this trade-off is so that you don't have as many points and your insurance doesn't go up? :confused:

Spoiled

Well, my friend got clocked at like 102 in a 45 or something,,, he got off light with like 2 points and some community service and like a 40$ fine... Hes a moron, i can believe he does that sh!t on the road.... The sad thing is when he told some kids at school about it they all had similar stories, some of them do it and dont get cought and keep doing it again... they whole street racing/speeding thing is a big problem...

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
They were supposed to make a law that allowed officers to arrest drivers exceeding the speed limit by more than 15 mph. I dunno if that ever went into effect, but it could be another reason for the trade-off.

willie

renegadeslave said:
They were supposed to make a law that allowed officers to arrest drivers exceeding the speed limit by more than 15 mph.
explain please.

Spoiled

willie said:
explain please.
it becomes wreckless driving or something, i beleive it is in existance, many of them choose not to? drop the ticked to 9above or what ever...

dustin

UAIOE
Magnum said:
The thing that gets me is I never knew radar worked with the cop driving in my direction, Oh well my fault either way.

yup, I got my last one the same way.....MD has nicer cops than FL...at least from what I've seen....or maybe its just J-ville cops in general...:lol:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Magnum said:
The thing that gets me is I never knew radar worked with the cop driving in my direction, Oh well my fault either way.
You CAN'T be serious?? Wh o da hell told ya that?? The only state that can't clock you moving is PA, and that would only be the Sheriffs and locals, only the State Police in PA are allowed to run radar..

I got stopped oncoming to a statie in NH back in 81, so this isn't a NEW technology.. Hopefully you learned that lesson weill enough, or will go invest in a radar detector.. but be forewarned, NOTHING will detect a laser in time to prevent you from gettng a ticket.. it will no longer be a laser/radar detector, but more a "You're getting a ticket dumbazz" speaker..

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
I admit, I did stupid things when I was a kid. Who hasn't. But now I'm old and all for strict punishment. I garuntee, no matter what the judge gives my kid, he'll beg for jail when I'm done.