OTC for ear infections?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I'm getting an ear infection in my left ear. I can feel it coming on. I get an ear infection at about this time every year, and I'm never happy about it.

I am especially not happy this time, because doctor's appointments are much more inconvenient when you don't have the Purdue University Student Health (PUSH) center to go to. And because that means I have to buy prescription antibiotics, which sucks. Also, because I'm allergic to all the good antibiotics (penicillan, amoxycillan, eurythromyacin, etc.), I can only use the real exotic, and therefore, really expensive ones.

Anyone know of any good OTC medication (pills, eardrops, etc.) for this? Maybe I can catch it early so I don't have to go to the doc.

Thanks in advance.

SxyPrincess

There are several saline solutions you can purchase at any drug store, grocery store..etc. Can't think of any names - sorry!

Mountain MaMa

WV bound
Try Vitamin C and zinc to help boost the immune system. Garlic capsules or load your food down with garlic. Also if you can find it,(Health Food store) Garlic ear oil. Some people use peroxide in the ear.

Rane

Lookin for Margaritaville
Originally posted by sleuth14
I'm getting an ear infection in my left ear. I can feel it coming on. I get an ear infection at about this time every year, and I'm never happy about it....

Anyone know of any good OTC medication (pills, eardrops, etc.) for this? Maybe I can catch it early so I don't have to go to the doc.

Thanks in advance.

Sleuth, not sure if this advice will help you but sometimes I feel an infection starting in my ears ( at least I think it is ) and I start taking a decongestant and an antihistamine right away ... I think this eliminates fluid build up in the sinuses and ear canal and voile !! the ear infection is nipped in the bud ! If you can take them, take them every 4 - 6 hours for a few days . Hope this helps :smile:

SxyPrincess

Re: Re: OTC for ear infections?

Originally posted by Rane
I start taking a decongestant and an antihistamine right away ...

This will "block" the symptoms and will do nothing to cure the infection. Your better to go with an antibiotic from the doctor, or something otc.

Remember to clean all phones well as this is a common place for bacteria.

K

Kain99

Buy white vinegar! Dump it into the cap and then into your ear. Keep the vinegar in for 3 minutes. Do this 3 or 4 times a day and you'll be amazed at the results.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
Homeopathic remedies

Sometimes if you catch it REAL early, a few drops of 3% hydrogen peroxide in the ear will clear it up! (My mom SWORE by this; she had frequent earaches) Also take echinacea to boost your immunity, and throw in some zinc and Vitamin C, too!

Once it gets to the full-blown infection stage, try colloidal silver, which can be either put directly in the ear as an ear wash or taken internally to eliminate the infection.

Warm compresses and a few drops of olive oil (followed by a cotton plug) can help with pain management if it gets REALLY uncomfortable...

Hope it helps!

Rane

Lookin for Margaritaville
Re: Re: Re: OTC for ear infections?

Originally posted by SxyPrincess
This will "block" the symptoms and will do nothing to cure the infection. Your better to go with an antibiotic from the doctor, or something otc.

Remember to clean all phones well as this is a common place for bacteria.

Sxy , the advice I gave about taking an antihistamine and decongestant is intended to PREVENT an ear infection, the pain we sometimes feel in our ears is pressure that CAN LEAD to an infection IF the fluid build up isn't taken care of .... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't ... I haven't had an ear infection in over 10 years not ( I used to get them a lot when I was young )... so I figure the preventative stuff is worth a try for anyone who is feeling a possible ear infection coming on .

Bacall

Originally posted by Mountain MaMa
Try Vitamin C and zinc to help boost the immune system. Garlic capsules or load your food down with garlic. Also if you can find it,(Health Food store) Garlic ear oil. Some people use peroxide in the ear.

In addition to Mountain Mama's excellent suggestion, I would recommend echinacia (sp), Mother Nature's antiboitic. It works as good as penicillin if you can start using it soon enough. You can pick this up at health food stores/GNC, too.

If that doesn't help, you must see a doc. An ear infection can be bad news for your balance.