Dear homeowners

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Larry and I are in the process of putting together house plans.

What do you love about your house, what feature do you have but never use, and what do you wish you had?

TIA for any suggestions. :kiss:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
In all seriousness. My old house didn't have a dining room, just an eat in kitchen which was cramped when having several people over for dinner. I always wanted a dining room.

I also miss my fresh herbs that grew right outside the door. And my rose bushes, and my yard, and my deck... I could go on...

Christy

b*tch rocket
If I were to be able to change things around in my house I'd have more windows. BIG windows. What I like about our house are the decent size bedrooms. Those were big selling points for us. They make kids rooms the size of closets in most new houses. You most definitely want a big kitchen, the bigger the better, as that's the place everyone tends to congregate. :shrug:

I'd also like a big red button on the wall that I could push to just vaporize the mess in my house, and if you can find a place that sells them, do let me know. :wink: :lol:

Bogart

yard for dogs
place to observe bird feeders
walk-in closets
laundry room
mud room
pre-wired for home theater, satellite, hi-speed internet
double sinks in kitchen
double sinks in master bath

morganj614

vraiblonde said:
Larry and I are in the process of putting together house plans.

What do you love about your house, what feature do you have but never use, and what do you wish you had?

TIA for any suggestions. :kiss:

I miss my huge family, country kitchen. Everyone ended up there for parties and I could cook and visit friends and family. No dining room, just this huge room with a kitchen, large dining area and a woodstove. I had the downdraft cook stove with interchangable units and a 4 chair breakfast bar. I would do that again. Alos had a real maple butcher block counter top area near the stove for prep. I just used mineral oil on it for upkeep. And the hot tub built into the deck..Dayum I miss that house, not the man..LOL

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Overall, I'm pretty pleased with my house. We looked at TONS of plans and did lots of walk-throughs of other houses to get ideas.

But some things I would like to change:
  • Add more closet space. There is never enough closet space.
  • Made some of the rooms bigger.
  • Wish I hadn't taken out the large cupboard in the kitchen.
  • Built the garage at the same time, even if it meant living on a shoestring for a couple of months until the other house sold.
Things I am glad of:
  • 2.5 bathrooms.
  • Big screened-in back porch.
  • Huge master bathroom with dual sinks, separate shower, jacuzzi tub.
  • One floor with NO stairs. Very pertinent for the older you get.
  • Master bedroom separate from living room for privacy.
  • LOTS of windows.
  • Hardwood floors through most of the living area.
  • Open floor plan for the living area.
  • BIG kitchen with central island with cooktop.
I'm sure I'll think of other things. :lol: We do use almost every inch of our house, so we did good in picking the design. :yay:

Last edited:

Mikeinsmd

vraiblonde said:
Larry and I are in the process of putting together house plans. What do you love about your house, what feature do you have but never use, and what do you wish you had? TIA for any suggestions. :kiss:
Smart lady posting this question. I find myself looking around friends houses to see what I wish I had/didn't have. I think lottsa stone & wood make a home feel like a home. Something like a big ole stone fireplace (one accessable from 2 rooms) and big ole wooden rafters. Hardwood floors, decks, porches etc.... Oh and lots of recessed lighting. An exquisite sound system, big screens.......

Oh yea....like Christy said, BIG windows!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Christy said:
If I were to be able to change things around in my house I'd have more windows. BIG windows. What I like about our house are the decent size bedrooms. Those were big selling points for us. They make kids rooms the size of closets in most new houses. You most definitely want a big kitchen, the bigger the better, as that's the place everyone tends to congregate.
Big bedrooms
Big windows
Big kitchen

Check.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
My current house doesn't have a coat closet inside the front door. :tantrum and the coat closet we DO have isn't deep enough to hold coats. :rolleyes:

The house also doesn't have a proper foyer, we have carpet right up to the front door, during the winter, I have to have a crappy doormat inside and I still get filth all over my carpet.

My laundry room is just inside my back door and the washer and dryer take up so much room, we have to grab our coats and go into the kitchen to put them on, and don't get me started (again) about the crap that collects on top of the dryer. I would love to have a real mud room with a bench for taking off shoes. My in-laws actually have a closet in their mudroom :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bogart said:
walk-in closets
laundry room
mud room
pre-wired for home theater, satellite, hi-speed internet
double sinks in kitchen
double sinks in master bath
Check.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I hate having a kitchen and dining room. I'd much prefer a very large eat in kitchen. I hate the stairs. My next house will have only one floor. My windows are too small. I'd rather have larger rooms than more rooms. I'd prefer my kitchen were on the first floor (I have a split foyer). I hate carpet. Someday I'll have hard wood floors. I don't like the garage door on the front of the house, I'd prefer a side or rear entrance garage, with a large combination laundry/mud room between the garage and the house. Walk in pantry.

D

dems4me

jazz lady said:
Check. I already have TWO to pick from. Of course, you'll have to share with the dogs. :biggrin:

lovely... :mad:

:lol: I can adjust to 3 foot tall living quarters :yay: :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
jazz lady said:
Built the garage at the same time
Big screened-in back porch.
Huge master bathroom with dual sinks, separate shower, jacuzzi tub.
Master bedroom separate from living room for privacy.
Hardwood floors through most of the living area.
Open floor plan for the living area.
BIG kitchen with central island with cooktop.
Check.

My girlfriend has a center island in her kitchen that has, like, the sink and dishwasher, etc, on one side and the other side comes down lower for seating so you can eat breakfast or just visit. I want that.