Mark's Telethon Electronics

MikeyBash

I brought a Nintendo Gamecube to Mark's Telethon Electronics for repair. A few days later, someone from the store called and asked me to bring in several games so they could test the machine. I brought them a total of 5 games.

The next day, we were called and told the repair bill was $85, and it was ready to pick up. When I went to pick it up, I remarked that if I'd known the bill would be $85, I wouldn't have had it fixed since a new unit costs $99 and comes with a one-year warranty compared to their 30-day repair warranty. Also, some Gamecube packages come with an extra controller and free game.

The owner, Mark, told me that we had been given an estimate and we'd oked it. I said this was not the case, we had been told that the unit had been fixed and the cost was $85--we were never told that was an estimate or that we had the option to decline. Mark asked me if I'd like to decline at that point and I said yes. He said he’d have to keep not only the Gamecube but the 5 games I brought in as well. He said he needed to sell them with the Gamecube to recoup his costs. These 5 games cost me about $50 each.

I agreed to pay the $85, since I wanted my games back. So far, the Gamecube is working ok. However, I am positive we never received an estimate because we never would have agreed to pay $85 to fix the machine.

The fact that he argued with me about whether or not I'd oked the estimate is weird--if I'd said ok, why would I be denying it? After all, I walked in the store intending to pay the $85 anyway, and I was just pointing out that if I'd been given an estimate, I would have told them it wasn't worth it.

Because of the owner's bad attitude and threat to confiscate my games, I will not do business with Mark's Telethon Electronics again.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
You're not the first victim, but you got off easy. A friend of mine took her big screen in and they repaired it without giving her an estimate. Exact same story, only her bill was something like $400.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I hate to come down on the guys, but with my experiences with them, I'll never do business there again. I had a $100 automotive CD player that skipped. The repair was $60. A month later, it was skipping again, so I bought Pioneer this time.:yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
MikeyBash said:
He said he’d have to keep not only the Gamecube but the 5 games I brought in as well. He said he needed to sell them with the Gamecube to recoup his costs.
That might have made me resort to physical violence.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
vraiblonde said:
That might have made me resort to physical violence.
Mark's has a bad rep down here and I've been wondering for years how he stays in business. I'd be amazed if he has any repeat customers.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
A few years ago he brought a car to a state inspection station to be inspected. His car failed and my boss let him pick it up after hours with a promise to bring a check in. He was trusted because he was a fellow local business owner. Well, lesson learned. I have contacted him several times to pay and he states that since his car failed, he did not hve to pay. I guess we work for free! I really believe him to be a low life who when give the chance will stick it to you. All this for $50.00. What a loser.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
baileydog said:
A few years ago he brought a car to a state inspection station to be inspected. His car failed and my boss let him pick it up after hours with a promise to bring a check in. He was trusted because he was a fellow local business owner. Well, lesson learned. I have contacted him several times to pay and he states that since his car failed, he did not hve to pay. I guess we work for free! I really believe him to be a low life who when give the chance will stick it to you. All this for $50.00. What a loser.
He most certainly is. We brought a camcorder to him to fix. Probably 8-9 years ago. He charged us over $400 and when I got it home it still wouldn't work. He claimed it worked fine for him and I'd have to pay for another estimate and repair.

Never took it back-cut my losses and bought a new one. Have never recommended anyone to him either.

willie

Something has changed at Mark's. Several years ago they fixed my 35" TV fast and very reasonable. Recently I took in a specialized tool and they said they couldn't fix it, that's OK but the smart azzed way I was treated was a surprise.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
A couple of things.

First, there are two sides to every story. I suspect that insurance repair, and retailing the used, repaired electronics is probably a good business, thus his longevity.

Secondly, the Better Business Bureau is a show. If you contact them about a business, they will try to solicit the business to buy a $400 BBB membership. Sure, they'll "handle" a complaint, but in my opinion they are just another advertising media for businesses. Good businesses handle their own complaints without joining the BBB.

Finally, there are just some things that aren't worth repairing. I just bought an $89 microwave that was a heck of a lot better than the one I bought for more, 8 years ago. The display died on the old one, but it cooked just fine... VCR's and DVD players are under $100. A 19" TV costs about $89. They have become disposable. Once an item hits the $500 mark, then it's probably worth repairing. I saw 36" TV's at BJ's for under $500, and it was a name brand. At that rate, I wouldn't even repair my 10 year old Sony 35" TV.

But with labor rates in St. Mary's County so high, and unemployment so low, your GameCube repair probably is an $85 repair. I don't have a problem with that amount. Based on your side of the story, I think it's disappointing that you aren't a satisfied customer. I think 99.9999% of business people want customers telling good stories about them - not bad ones...

Bogart

Oz said:
I think it's disappointing that you aren't a satisfied customer.
I would not be satisfied if a business owner lied about me receiving a repair estimate and threatened to keep my games :shrug:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Bogart said:
I would not be satisfied if a business owner lied about me receiving a repair estimate and threatened to keep my games :shrug:

I didn't mean to imply that he *should* be satisfied. I meant that it was disappointing that the business owner didn't achieve his customer satisfaction.

mainman

Set Trippin
Oz said:
But with labor rates in St. Mary's County so high, and unemployment so low, your GameCube repair probably is an $85 repair. I don't have a problem with that amount. Based on your side of the story, I think it's disappointing that you aren't a satisfied customer. I think 99.9999% of business people want customers telling good stories about them - not bad ones...
But for the guy to say he needed to keep dudes games too? :confused:

:killingme :lmao: :roflmao:

Bogart

Oz said:
I didn't mean to imply that he *should* be satisfied. I meant that it was disappointing that the business owner didn't achieve his customer satisfaction.
gotcha - :dur: on me

Pegster710

The Pegster
EXACT same thing happened to me! I had them pick up my 54" Big Screen TV for repair - told them if it was over $250.00 to repair it, I didn't want to do it, just bring it back to me; I had a friend who'd look at it.

Well, they repaired it without my authorization - the bill was $500.00, which included pick-up and delivery - they charged $75.00 to pick it up and $75.00 to return it, without letting us know ahead of time!! And we had to help load and unload!!! I could have handled ONE $75.00 fee for pick-up and delivery, but both ways? I live on Chancellors Run Road! Less than 5 miles from them!

I ended up having to pay it because they were going to keep the TV and resell it - to recoup their losses... HAH!! Plus, they only offered a 30 day guarantee on their work! Robbery!

They were rude and unprofessional - they think they have you over a barrel because they are the only repair shop in the area. I will NEVER take anything there again - nor will I recommend them to anyone! They were awful!

:burning: